West Side Business News & Notes
Valley Café celebrating grand re-opening
MERRIMAN VALLEY — The Valley Café will celebrate its grand re-opening May 21-25 with a new menu and new interior look.
In addition, the owners announced a Root Beer Float-a-thon will commemorate the festivities, with all proceeds to benefit Stewart’s Caring Place: Cancer Wellness Center in Fairlawn.
“Being a local restaurant, we were looking for a local nonprofit to partner with to celebrate our grand re-opening,” said Valley Café owners BJ and Nicole Mikoda. “We haven’t had to use Stewart’s services, but we know what great work they do here in our local community and the many people they serve.”
The Mikodas said they purchased the Valley Café in 2008. Keeping the same name, menu and décor, they worked to personalize the restaurant with their own styles and cooking preferences, they added. That work included interior improvements, the new menu and the partnership unveiled during the grand re-opening.
“We’re very grateful BJ and Nicole contacted us for this great event,” said Raven DeVoll, Stewart’s Caring Place’s event coordinator. “Anytime we can connect with local businesses, we’re very grateful. It’s these organizations and community members who help us spread the word about Stewart’s and the free programs and services we offer to the cancer community.”
Valley Café is located at 1212 Weathervane Lane. Business hours are Sundays through Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. For menu information, visit www.valley-cafe.com.
Peninsula Area Chamber hosting events
PENINSULA — The Peninsula Area Chamber of Commerce, an organization comprised of shops, galleries, museums, businesses, organizations and eateries in the Cuyahoga Valley, has released its calendar of events for 2012.
Upcoming events will include the following:
• Spring Stroll, May 19. Visitors can “stroll” through the village, enjoying the beauty of the season;
• Plein Air Competition, June 14-18. This competition welcomes artists to paint outside along the Cuyahoga River to capture the natural beauty of the area. These works are then juried, exhibited and offered for sale;
• Art in the Valley, June 30 and July 1 and 7-8. Visit the village’s galleries and special events to celebrate the arts in Peninsula and the surrounding Cuyahoga Valley;
• Peninsula Python Day, July 21. Visitors can experience the folklore of the aged tale of an escaped python in the Valley;
• Music on the Porches, Sept. 29. Peninsula will host its own mini folk festival;
• Village Peddler Day, Oct. 6. This village-wide community event welcomes visitors to search for treasure as the town peddles its wares;
• Peninsula Candlelight Walk, Nov. 29. This event celebrates the start of the holiday season with a candlelight walk through the village; and
• Christmas in Peninsula, Dec. 8. This event is a village-wide shopping day.
— By Stephanie Kist
More Business News
Calendar of Events
- ZOSO with Joe Vitale Jr. Band - 5/24/2013
- Evil Ways with The Juke Hounds - 5/24/2013
- Voices in the Valley - 5/24/2013
- Who’s Bad? The Ultimate Michael Jackson Tribute - 5/24/2013
- Ballroom Nights - 5/24/2013