HBA honors members at annual installation banquet
|Scott Strayer, of Helen Scott Custom Builders, at left, and Peter Paino, of Paino Building Corp., were awarded the Committee Chairmen of the Year Award at the Home Builders Association Serving Portage & Summit Counties’ annual installation banquet Dec. 1. The two won for their work on the HBA’s project to rehabilitate cabins at the Akron Rotary Camp for special needs children in New Franklin. Strayer also won the Builder of the Year Award.|
|Photos courtesy of Home Builders Association Serving Portage & Summit Counties|
|HBA Past President Fred Zumpano, of Zumpano Design & Construction, won the HBA’s Special Recognition Award for voluntarily heading up an addition to the HBA building and creating a headquarters for the Akron Area Board of Realtors this year. The award is only given when circumstances warrant it.|
Helen Scott Custom Builders, founded in 1968, is a residential builder located in Barberton. With four employees, the company built eight homes in 2012 and completed various remodeling projects in Summit, Medina and Wayne counties. Strayer has operated the company since 2007.
“Winning Builder of the Year was such an honor, especially when I looked at the list of previous winners and realized how many of my fellow builders received votes this year,” said Strayer.
Helen Scott Custom Builders has been an HBA member for nearly all of its 44-year existence. Strayer has participated in numerous HBA events, including the recent Parade of Homes, and was co-chairman of the HBA’s Rotary Camp for special needs children cabin rehabilitation project. In addition, according to HBA officials, he was instrumental in managing the HBA’s new addition to its present building and is the chair and builder of the HBA Urban Neighborhood Development Corp. (UNDC) home being built in West Akron.
This award has been given annually since 1971. Each of the HBA’s 450 member companies nominated their choice for builder of the year. The results are tallied, and a second ballot is mailed with the top five nominees listed. Members then rank the builders to determine the winner.
The criteria for the award is to recognize a builder that has demonstrated a high level of customer satisfaction and strong business practices as related to their trade and supplier relations.
Members were additionally honored at the banquet with the following awards:
• Jim Echols, of Echols Heating and Air Conditioning, was named Associate Tradesman of the Year. The award recognizes contributions of time, manpower, finances and reputable, professional business operation.
Echols has been a member for 20 years and, HBA officials noted, is actively involved in several committees and events, such as the HBA building addition, the Tradesmen Council and Building Codes Committee, as well as attending or supporting most HBA events.
• Associate Supplier of the Year was awarded to Dave Buckles, of Gerber Lumber. This award is presented to a member who makes outstanding contributions to the HBA throughout the year as judged by the HBA Board of Trustees. In 2012, Gerber Lumber was an HBA partner with Industry Night for the Pros and both HBA golf outings.
• Committee Chairmen of the Year is presented to the committee that has done a particularly outstanding job with their assignment. Awarded was Peter Paino, of Paino Building Corp., and Strayer for their work on the HBA’s project to rehabilitate cabins at the Akron Rotary Camp for special needs children at Rex Lake in New Franklin.
This committee organized the complete tear-down and rehabilitation of two old cabins, joined them with a common roof system and finished them both inside and out. The group donated volunteer hours almost every Saturday for several months.
• The President’s Award is awarded at the discretion of the current HBA president. This year, President Steve Miller recognized Strayer, who was instrumental in seeing the building addition finished, the construction of the HBA UNDC home and in the Rotary Camp project. He also, according to HBA officials, formed a unique relationship with Miller that allowed Miller to call on Strayer almost anytime to get a job done.
• The Greg Seib Spirit Award was presented to Fred Langguth, of Graves Lumber. This award is given in memory of a longtime HBA member to a current member whose enthusiasm, commitment, attitude and participation typified what the HBA shared with Greg Seib.
• Rookie of the Year recognizes a member who participates and encourages others to join in HBA events, committees and activities. Candidates can be new members or a new representative of a current member company. The award goes to the single top point earner from a group of eligible candidates based on attendance at events, sponsorship of new members, committee participation and marketing partnerships. This year’s recipient was Stephanie Phillips, of Kemppel Industries.
• The Tradesman & Associate Hall of Honor was developed in 2008 to recognize associate members who have given service above and beyond the normal call for an extended period of time and have distinguished themselves as loyal HBA members. Each inductee must have an outstanding history of customer service, a reputation for quality and integrity, served on the HBA board and met several other criteria. Joining the other seven members in the Hall are Greg Hibbard, of Hibbard Foundations, and Pam Keenan, of Kingdom Title.
• The Special Recognition Award is only given when circumstances warrant it. In 2012, the HBA undertook the building of an addition to its current building, almost doubling its size and creating a headquarters for the Akron Area Board of Realtors®. This construction project was voluntarily headed up by HBA Past President Fred Zumpano. For his efforts and the successful completion of this project, Zumpano received the Special Recognition Award.
• In the 70-year history of the HBA there have only been 37 members who have received the honor of the Life Member Award. The newest HBA Life Member is Alan Ederer. Ederer has been a member for more than 43 years. He sold the HBA sites for their last two offices, and most of the HBA location on White Pond Drive is a direct result of his vision and development, according to HBA officials.
For the first time, the HBA recognized members who were fully engaged in HBA activities by assigning points to different events and activities. The top 10 were named to the first HBA All Star team. The first team is: Andrea Hyatt, Revere Title; Ken Jones, Multi Financial Cetera Co.; Mary Williams, the Beacon Journal; Perry Bourn, Prestige Homes; Lynn Taylor, Carter Jones Lumber; John Dunlavey, Skylight Financial; Bob Doherty, Wolff Brothers Supply; Chris Neibus, Van Devere Chevrolet; Hallie Bowie, New Leaf Design; and Mike O’Hara, Galehouse Lumber.
Also at the Dec. 1 banquet, HBA installed its 2013 officers and trustees:
√ The incoming president is Todd Ederer, of Ederer Construction in Akron. HBA senior officers for 2013 include: Vice President, Strayer; secretary/treasurer, Julie Oliver, of The Testa Cos, Cuyahoga Falls; immediate past president, Steve Miller, of Rembrandt Homes, Uniontown; and HBA executive officer, Carmine Torio.
Installed as the 2013 Board of Trustees are: Richard Bancroft, Bancroft-Miller Development LLC; Julie Brandle, Metis Construction Services; Eric Goff, Goff Builders Inc.; Jacob Grimm, Brothers Grimm Landscape & Design Inc.; Hyatt; Jones; Keenan; Bill Kremer, Kremer Realty; John Labriola, Summit County Building Department; Langguth; John McCarty, Dutch Heritage Homes; Mark Memmer, Memmer Homes Inc.; Brian Miller, Stoneworks; Jeff Naragon, Naragon Irrigation; Paino; Rick SirLouis, Home Sweet Home Remodeling; Louise Sturmi, MTO Clean; John Toomey, Pointe View Development Corp.; Jeff Tucker, Freedom Building Inc.; Elaine Tuttle, Andersen Windows & Doors; and Dave Williams, Williams, Welser, Kratcoski and Can LPAs.
More Business News
Calendar of Events
- Widows and Widowers Under 50 - 3/12/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 3/12/2014
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 3/13/2014
- St. Pat’s Benefit Card Party - 3/13/2014
- Revere Relay for Life Night - 3/13/2014