South Side Business News & Notes
Employers sought for youth job program
DOWNTOWN AKRON — Summit County officials are seeking local businesses willing to employ youth workers this summer.
The county’s Department of Job and Family Services has received nearly $1.6 million in funding from the state to conduct the program, which serves Summit County youths ages 16-24. The program began June 1 and will conclude Aug. 31.
Employers are asked to provide meaningful work experience for approximately 15 hours per week per youth over the duration of the program. The county has made arrangements for payroll and Worker’s Compensation expenses to be handled by a third-party operator. Additionally, Ohio Department of Job and Family Services rules indicate that youth participants not be counted toward unemployment compensation reporting requirements. Therefore, employers who provide work opportunities for youth participants would bear no financial responsibility for being part of the program.
Three organizations are operating the program: Akron Urban League, Jobs for Ohio Graduates and Youth Employment for Success. Employers interested in providing work opportunities are asked to call the program operator based on the ZIP code where the employer is located:
- For ZIP codes 44210, 44302, 44303, 44304, 44307, 44308, 44311, 44313, 44314, 44320, 44321, 44325 and 44333, call the Akron Urban League at 234-542-4501.
- For ZIP codes 44224, 44250, 44260, 44262, 44264, 44278, 44301, 44305, 44306, 44310 and 44312, call Jobs for Ohio Graduates at 330-374-9445.
- For ZIP codes 44056, 44067, 44087, 44203, 44216, 44221, 44223, 44232, 44236, 44286, 44319, 44685 and 44720, call Youth Employment for Success at 330-643-7885.
Green Farmers’ Market beginning June 18
GREEN — The Green Farmers’ Market will reopen for the season June 18, this year at a new location.
The market will be set up every Tuesday from 3 to 7 p.m. next to the Central Administration Building, 1755 Town Park Blvd., through Oct. 8.
City officials said more than 30 vendors are committed. According to city officials, vendors returning this year include: Aida’s Bakery; Bittnerbees; Brenckle Farms; D ’n A Maple Syrup; Hattie’s Café; Hawk Meats LLC; Marvin’s Gardens; Master Gardener; May’s Produce; Out of a Garden; Pheasant View Dairy Goats; Rainbow Gardens; Sharp Farm; The Pierogi Lady; and Walnut Drive Gardens. New vendors this year include American Serenade Coffee, Tea & Wine; Juice Plus; Log Cabin Farms; and Olde School Donuts.
Additional vendors are added weekly, according to city officials.
For information on being a vendor, visit www.cityofgreen.org/farmers-market5 or call 330-896-6621.
Hickory Harvest Foods expanding
|Hickory Harvest Foods headquarters, shown above, is undergoing an expansion to add new lines.|
|Photo courtesy of Hickory Harvest Foods|
According to company officials, the new addition will include warehouse and office space, which will open up the existing space for expanded production and food manufacturing. The company is adding a new roasting and packaging lines to accommodate its recent growth in bulk and private labeled nuts/trail mixes. The new lines will increase capacity by 50 percent, allowing for new product expansion.
Once the addition is completed, Hickory Harvest anticipates hiring five new employees within the year, according to company officials.
Construction work began May 20, and the project is expected to be completed by Sept. 1.
For more information, visit www.hickoryharvest.com or contact Mike Swiatkowski, vice president of sales, at 330-644-6266.
Maria Lindsay contributed to these reports.
More Business News
- Upscale items found at La Daisy Boutique
- CrossFit Copley event benefits Battered Women’s Shelter
- West Side Business News & Notes
- Acme presents checks to Green Schools
- Clock Tower Landing debuts
- Summa implementing program for tradespeople
- Front Porch Café now open
- Smokey’s hosts customer appreciation event
- South Side Business News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- The University of Akron Percussion Ensemble - 11/24/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 11/25/2014
- Pre-Holiday Book Sale - 11/26/2014
- Nature Drawing for Adults - 11/26/2014
- Joseph Arthur - 11/26/2014