Proenza to receive H. Peter Burg Award
DOWNTOWN AKRON — The Greater Akron Chamber has announced that Luis Proenza, president of The University of Akron (UA), will be the 10th recipient of the H. Peter Burg Economic Development Leadership Award.
Proenza will be honored March 20 at the Greater Akron Chamber’s 107th Annual Meeting, which will take place at the John S. Knight Center.
The award was created in memory of H. Peter Burg by the Chamber’s Executive Committee to recognize a leader who promotes economic development in the Greater Akron region. According to Chamber officials, the award is being made in recognition of Proenza’s accomplishments over many years to redefine the role of UA as a catalyst for economic development.
Proenza became UA’s 15th president in 1999 and will have served more than 15 years in this role by the time he completes his presidency June 30.
According to Chamber officials, he also is widely credited with: transforming UA from a downtown commuter college into a major metropolitan university; developing the UA Research Foundation; reversing a decade-long slide in enrollment; overseeing the most successful fundraising years in UA’s history; and bringing national prominence to Akron and UA through programs in research and education.
More Business News
- Upscale items found at La Daisy Boutique
- CrossFit Copley event benefits Battered Women’s Shelter
- West Side Business News & Notes
- Acme presents checks to Green Schools
- Clock Tower Landing debuts
- Summa implementing program for tradespeople
- Front Porch Café now open
- Smokey’s hosts customer appreciation event
- South Side Business News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- The University of Akron Brass Choir’s “Home for Thanksgiving” - 11/23/2014
- Jerry McNamee book signing - 11/23/2014
- Metro Parks Book Club: “Choosing Wildness” by Claude Arbour - 11/23/2014
- Candlelight Walk - 11/23/2014
- The University of Akron Percussion Ensemble - 11/24/2014