West Side Business News & Notes
Valley Savings Bank shareholders approve merger with Westfield Bank
CUYAHOGA FALLS — On May 21, shareholders of Valley Savings Bank voted to approve the merger of their community bank in Cuyahoga Falls with Westfield Bank, Westfield Bancorp’s wholly owned subsidiary bank and an affiliate of Westfield Insurance in Westfield Center. Every shareholder present — either in person or by proxy — voted to approve the merger.
The vote follows an announcement of the pending merger made by the two banks March 18. Expected to be finalized in September, the unification will bring together two community banks with combined total assets approaching $1 billion.
“We are pleased, but not the least bit surprised, that shareholder approval of the merger reflects broad-based shareholder support,” Valley Savings Bank Board Chairman and CEO David Hunter said. In noting that over 98 percent of holders of outstanding Valley Savings Bank shares voted to approve the merger, Hunter added, “This is another important step forward toward our aspirational mid-September closing date.”
When the transaction is complete, the two Valley Savings Bank locations in Cuyahoga Falls will operate under the Westfield Bank name, bringing to eight the number of Westfield Bank locations in Northeast Ohio. Existing Westfield Bank facilities are located in Westfield Center, Medina, Fairlawn/West Akron, Brecksville, Canton and Wooster.
Both Valley Savings Bank and Westfield Bank have consistently earned Five-Star Superior ratings from BauerFinancial Inc., according to company officials.
Golfsmith grand opening celebration approaches
FAIRLAWN — Golfsmith will celebrate the opening of its first Akron-area superstore May 29-31 with a number of activities, including $10,000 in giveaways, a $1,000 shopping spree drawing, contests, demonstrations and deals.
The 21,000-square-foot store at 3737 W. Market St. offers fitting studios and golf simulators, hitting bays, a practice area/putting green, technology bar and other features.
Grand-opening weekend events include:
- Today, May 29: TaylorMade Thursday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Contests are taking place all day for merchandise including a JetSpeed driver giveaway, and the first 100 customers in the store will receive a sleeve of TaylorMade golf balls. Skills contests include putting, guess your drive and shot accuracy challenges to win TaylorMade products.
- Tomorrow, May 30: Shopping Spree Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. The first 200 customers in the store will receive their choice of Bridgestone golf balls or a Srixon hat. Also, they can register for a $1,000 shopping spree, with the drawing at 9:15 a.m., and there will be additional contests and free GolfTEC clinics all afternoon.
- May 31: Demo Day, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Customers can meet with representatives from Callaway and Cobra to learn about the latest technology and enter to win a Cobra iron set giveaway.
For more information, call 330-664-2940.
Stephanie Kist contributed to these reports.
More Business News
Calendar of Events
- Story Time - 9/22/2014
- Star Spangled Banner, 1812 Flag and National Anthem with Sharon Myers - 9/23/2014
- Avian Photography with Dan Behm - 9/24/2014
- A New Adventure - 9/24/2014
- Cookin’ with Miss Keni: grades 1-5 - 9/24/2014