Local events set for Halloween
|Don Witt, of Springfield, demonstrates pumpkin carving during Boo at the Zoo last year.
|Photo: Krista Galloway|
Those residents planning to hand out candy are asked to leave their porch light on during the time set for trick-or-treat.
The following is a list of designated nights and times for trick-or-treating in the West Side Leader coverage area, along with other planned events:
• Akron: Most neighborhoods will host Beggars’ Night Oct. 29 from 5 to 7 p.m. Also, the Akron Zoo’s Boo at the Zoo is back with its nonscary Halloween activities for families. The event, which features 12 themed trick-or-treat stations, will take place Oct. 15-16, 21-23 and 28-30. Hours are 5:30 to 8 p.m. on Fridays and 3 to 8 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Admission is $10 for trick-or-treaters and $6 for observers. Akron Zoo members receive free observer admission. Advanced tickets, which are $1 less, are now on sale at the zoo, 500 Edgewood Ave., and all Acme Fresh Market locations. Also, the zoo will serve a pizza buffet in the Komodo Kingdom Café during Boo at the Zoo at a cost of $4.99 for children and $6.99 for adults. For additional information, call 330-375-2550 or go to www.akronzoo.org.
• Bath: Beggars’ night will take place Oct. 30 from 5 to 7 p.m. From 6 to 8 p.m., the Bath Fire Department’s annual Halloween Party will take place at the Fire Department, 3864 W. Bath Road. For more information, call 330-666-4007.
In addition, the MOMS Club of Copley/Fairlawn will host a Halloween Party Open House Oct. 21 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at the Bath United Church of Christ, 3890 W. Bath Road. Mothers from Copley, Fairlawn and Bath are welcome with their children dressed in costume. For details and to register, go to www.momsofcopley.com.
• Boston/Peninsula: Trick-or-treating will take place Oct. 31 from 6 to 7:30 p.m., and a party at Woodridge Intermediate School, 1930 Bronson Ave., will follow from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Also, the Peninsula Library, 6105 Riverview Road, will have a presentation of “A ’60s Monster Mash — Zany Horror Movies of the ’50s and ’60s” Oct. 17 at 7 p.m. Bill Brauning, of Pop Goes the ’60s, has been lecturing on ’60s pop culture for 10 years and will lead a discussion on popular monster and horror stars of the 1950s and ’60s, such as “The Amazing Colossal Man,” “The Thing,” “Giant Leeches” and others. Reservations are requested by calling 330-657-2291 or emailing email@example.com.
• Copley: Community-wide trick-or-treating will take place Oct. 30 from 5 to 7 p.m. Also planned is Halloween in the Park, sponsored by the Copley Police Department, Oct. 29 from 2 to 4:30 p.m. at Copley Community Park, 3232 Copley Road. The event includes free trick-or-treat bags, glow sticks and pumpkins while supplies last. Hay rides, games, hot cider and doughnuts and a trick-or-treat “trail” for children age 10 and younger also will be available.
Also, Healthy Communities Healthy Youth Copley-Fairlawn’s fifth annual Haunted Halls event will take place Oct. 22 from 7 to 11 p.m. at Copley High School. Haunted Halls is a scary yet safe experience for youth ages 12 and older. Admission is $6. A $1 discount coupon is available at www.copley-fair lawnhchy.org. Fifth- and sixth-graders need to be accompanied by an adult, who will be admitted for free. One adult per group is permitted, according to organizers.
• Cuyahoga Falls: Beggars’ Night will take place Oct. 29 from 6 to 8 p.m. The Cuyahoga Falls Parks and Recreation Department is sponsoring a free community Halloween Party that afternoon from 2 to 4 p.m. at Falls River Square. The event includes the Classic Car Trunk or Treat, sponsored by Don Sitts Auto; a Best-Carved Pumpkin Contest; and a costume contest for children up to 10 years old. Contestants should be seated in the amphitheater by 2:15 p.m. Also, the purchase of a $5 activity stamp will include unlimited admission to the petting zoo, hayrides and other activities. Refreshments will be available for purchase.
• Fairlawn: Trick-or treating will take place Oct. 30 from 5 to 7 p.m.
• Granger: Beggars’ Night will be Oct. 30 from 2 to 5 p.m.
• Norton: City-wide trick-or-treating will take place Oct. 29 from 5 to 7 p.m.
• Richfield Township/Richfield Village: Trick-or-treating for the village and township will take place Oct. 31. Halloween festivities will begin with a parade at 5:30 p.m. at the corner of state Route 303 and Broadview Road and will proceed to the fire station behind the old Town Hall, 4410 W. Streetsboro Road. Any children interested in participating in the parade should wear a costume. Then neighborhood trick-or-treating will take place from 6 to 8 p.m.
Also, the Village Recreation Department is putting on its annual Haunted Recreation Center Oct. 27-29 at the Richfield Recreation Center, 3333 Brecksville Road. Haunting hours will be Oct. 27 from 6 to 9 p.m., Oct. 28 from 6 to 11 p.m. and Oct. 29 from 6 to 10 p.m. Admission is $5. Discounts are available. For more information, call 330-659-5818.
• Sharon: Trick-or-treating will be Oct. 31 from 6 to 8 p.m. around Sharon Circle and in the neighborhood there, according to township officials.
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs retiree benefit changes
- Treats in store at Akron Zoo
- County seeing opiate epidemic effects on finances
- APS board hears financial forecast
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office dedicates K-9 memorial
- ‘King of the Falls’ receives recognition at Broad Boulevard
- Falls leaf program start delayed to Oct. 31
- Falls seeking Youth Advisory Council members
- Norton Council OKs energy efficiency improvements
- Montrose Avenue zoning request in Bath withdrawn
- Norton Council clerk collecting pajama donations
- Boy Scout builds birdhouses for area shelters
- Copley trustees purchase third parcel for ‘campus’
- KAB recognizes board member, volunteer
- Richfield Council considering expanding cemeteries
- Granger board hears complaints about after-hours park use
- Lead poisoning prevention push underway
- SCPH gets $2.9 million for Lead Hazard Control program
- County Adopt-A-Thon rehomes pets
Calendar of Events
- Art of Vijay Rastogi - 10/28/2016
- Twilight Hike and Campfire - 10/28/2016
- Tales for Tots: ages 3-6 - 10/28/2016
- Elvis Costello and the Imposters - 10/28/2016
- Ballroom Nights - 10/28/2016