Scout helps families in need with household goods
|Photo courtesy of Willa Keith|
Karris, an Ambassador Girl Scout of Troop No. 90358, presented durable household goods to five families transitioning from temporary to permanent housing Jan. 27. When the families leave the shelter, they are given basic supplies — mostly disposable items — that last only a few weeks, according to troop officials. Karris’ idea is to provide five families a month with durable household appliances, kitchenware and bed and bath items that would last longer.
She has secured enough items for the first five families but is looking for groups, churches or organizations that can commit to sponsoring five families one month out of the year.
Those who are interested in becoming a “From House to Home” sponsor can find a complete list of needed items at www.akrongirlscouts.org or can obtain a list by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Monetary donations also are being accepted.
More Community News
- Akron City Council OKs Wallhaven project
- Derby celebrates 78th year
- Districting proposal making its way to ballot
- Richfield celebrating Community Day events Aug. 7-9
- West Side News & Notes
- Confusion follows Falls Council’s charter change vote
- Boston optimistic with switch to RITA
- Richfield Village officials still considering water tower sites
- Leadership Akron selects members of new class
- Granger firefighters promoted to lieutenant rank
- Sanitarium scrapbook preservation in works
- Area diaper collection a success
Calendar of Events
- “Hairspray” - 7/31/2015
- Croquet in the Garden: ages 12-18 - 7/31/2015
- The Selfie Show - 7/31/2015
- Crayon Batiks by Lawrence Walker - 7/31/2015
- Greased Lightning - 7/31/2015