Local girl participates in Space Camp
|Photos courtesy of the Pugh family|
The weeklong educational program promotes science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), while training students and adults with hands-on activities and missions based on teamwork, leadership and decision-making.
Madison is a fifth-grade student at Miller South School for the Visual and Performing Arts. She was part of the Space Camp Program, which is specifically designed for trainees who have a particular interest in science. She spent the week training with the Aldrin team, which flew a simulated Space Shuttle mission to the International Space Station (ISS). Once aboard the ISS, the crew participated in experiments and successfully completed an extra-vehicular activity, or space walk.
Madison and the Aldrin crew returned to Earth in time to graduate with honors, including winning best mission patch (shown at right bottom), best team and best mission.
Space Camp operates year-round and uses astronaut training techniques to engage trainees in real-world applications of STEM subjects. Students sleep in quarters designed to resemble the ISS and train in simulators like those used by NASA.
For more information, visit www.spacecamp.com or call 800-63-SPACE.
More Community News
- Portage Crossing coming to life
- Glowing lights shine at Holiday Tree Festival
- Norton police chief sworn in
- Akron addressing daytime burglaries
- Wanted: Holiday volunteers
- Council supports grant application for Richfield site
- Skaters, hockey players to benefit from plow purchase
- Richfield reviewing proposed guidelines for historic district
- Richfield trustees review proposals for police, fire contracts
- Granger trustees agree Brenelle Lane should not be terminated
- Turkeys common in Metro Parks
- West Side News & Notes
- Residents want safer Myersville Road
- Coventry Fire helping those in need
- New Franklin officials address increasing revenue
- Council supports grant application for Coventry bog
- Akron Council committee supports Safe Routes to School plan
- ‘Light up a Life’ benefits Hospice of VNS
- Akron Children’s Pediatrics in Green moves
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- History Hike - 11/28/2014
- After Thanksgiving Hike - 11/28/2014
- Brent Kirby and His Luck with Rebecca Wohlever - 11/28/2014
- Akron Metro Parks Hiking Club - 11/28/2014
- A New Adventure - 11/29/2014