Local girl participates in Space Camp
|Photos courtesy of the Pugh family|
The weeklong educational program promotes science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), while training students and adults with hands-on activities and missions based on teamwork, leadership and decision-making.
Madison is a fifth-grade student at Miller South School for the Visual and Performing Arts. She was part of the Space Camp Program, which is specifically designed for trainees who have a particular interest in science. She spent the week training with the Aldrin team, which flew a simulated Space Shuttle mission to the International Space Station (ISS). Once aboard the ISS, the crew participated in experiments and successfully completed an extra-vehicular activity, or space walk.
Madison and the Aldrin crew returned to Earth in time to graduate with honors, including winning best mission patch (shown at right bottom), best team and best mission.
Space Camp operates year-round and uses astronaut training techniques to engage trainees in real-world applications of STEM subjects. Students sleep in quarters designed to resemble the ISS and train in simulators like those used by NASA.
For more information, visit www.spacecamp.com or call 800-63-SPACE.
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- Mr. Bubble - 7/22/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 7/22/2014
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014