Local girl participates in Space Camp
|Photos courtesy of the Pugh family|
The weeklong educational program promotes science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), while training students and adults with hands-on activities and missions based on teamwork, leadership and decision-making.
Madison is a fifth-grade student at Miller South School for the Visual and Performing Arts. She was part of the Space Camp Program, which is specifically designed for trainees who have a particular interest in science. She spent the week training with the Aldrin team, which flew a simulated Space Shuttle mission to the International Space Station (ISS). Once aboard the ISS, the crew participated in experiments and successfully completed an extra-vehicular activity, or space walk.
Madison and the Aldrin crew returned to Earth in time to graduate with honors, including winning best mission patch (shown at right bottom), best team and best mission.
Space Camp operates year-round and uses astronaut training techniques to engage trainees in real-world applications of STEM subjects. Students sleep in quarters designed to resemble the ISS and train in simulators like those used by NASA.
For more information, visit www.spacecamp.com or call 800-63-SPACE.
More Community News
- State Route 18 projects to begin in summer
- Copley’s Winterfest puts fun on ice
- APS exploring funds for waiting building projects
- Richfield Council delays water tower vote
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council committee chairs questioned
- Akron City Council evaluates capital budget
- Fairlawn mayor calls city’s financial condition ‘sound’
- Norton looking to sink sewer costs
- Falls Council reappoints member to library board
- Bath trustees approve sale of fire department vehicle
- Peninsula Council on third try makes quorum for meeting
- Copley exploring contract with single trash hauler
- Richfield trustees approve fire/EMS contract
- Granger trustees hear presentation on fire prevention
- County Council opposing pipeline
- Cub Scouts get creative for Chariot Races
- Coventry goes with reduced ballot issue
- Norton gives final State of the City address
- Council considers Tudor House addition
- Springfield trustees approve application for Spartan Trail
- Local blood drives
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Akron Baroque: Super Bowl Baroque! - 2/1/2015
- Backyard Bird Feeding - 2/1/2015
- Melissa Harris-Perry - 2/2/2015
- Make a Pop-Up Book: grades 3-6 - 2/2/2015
- Fondues and Essential Oils - 2/3/2015