Local girl participates in Space Camp
|Photos courtesy of the Pugh family|
The weeklong educational program promotes science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), while training students and adults with hands-on activities and missions based on teamwork, leadership and decision-making.
Madison is a fifth-grade student at Miller South School for the Visual and Performing Arts. She was part of the Space Camp Program, which is specifically designed for trainees who have a particular interest in science. She spent the week training with the Aldrin team, which flew a simulated Space Shuttle mission to the International Space Station (ISS). Once aboard the ISS, the crew participated in experiments and successfully completed an extra-vehicular activity, or space walk.
Madison and the Aldrin crew returned to Earth in time to graduate with honors, including winning best mission patch (shown at right bottom), best team and best mission.
Space Camp operates year-round and uses astronaut training techniques to engage trainees in real-world applications of STEM subjects. Students sleep in quarters designed to resemble the ISS and train in simulators like those used by NASA.
For more information, visit www.spacecamp.com or call 800-63-SPACE.
More Community News
- Bath parks levy renewal on May ballot
- Area communities offering Safety Town
- Woodridge studying future of school buildings
- Council OKs new Dollar General in Merriman Valley
- Youth employment program getting on its way
- Falls Council OKs purchase for Electrical Department
- Norton Council accepts Moving Ohio Forward funds
- Boston trustees take step to clear property
- Sharon trustees discuss recent township break-ins
- Granger trustees approve tax abatement guidelines
- KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
- LaRose honors local youth
- YMCAs presenting Healthy Kids Day
- Montrose transportation meeting set for May 15
- United Way announces education investments, new funding strategy
- West Side News & Notes
- Green district seeking levy renewal
- Children celebrate Easter early
- Board strikes deal to keep fitness center running
- Springfield officer honored for service
- Grant possibility could increase police presence in Coventry
- Youth employment program on its way
- Rebuilding Together to improve nine area homes
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Susan Graham - 4/21/2014
- Prostate Cancer Awareness Ministry - 4/21/2014
- A New Adventure - 4/23/2014
- Jeri Holland - 4/23/2014
- Blue Man Group - 4/23/2014