Akron City Council approves appointment, bridge improvements
Akron City Council voted unanimously to appoint Councilman Jeff Fusco (D-at large) to the Akron-Bath-Copley Joint Township Hospital District Board at the April 2 meeting.
Fusco will serve as the city’s representative to the board, replacing former Ward 7 Akron City Councilwoman Tina Merlitti, who lost her bid for re-election to Donnie Kammer in the 2011 November General Election. Fusco said the board meets once or twice a year, mostly to review financial issues.
Also at the meeting, Council agreed to vote on an ordinance for a contract with the Ohio Department of Transportation for the design and construction of improvements to the Dart Avenue bridge at the next meeting. The city will pay 20 percent of the total costs, and 100 percent of features deemed not necessary by the State and Federal Highway Administration. Those costs total $125,947, according to the legislation.
Work on the one-lane bridge is scheduled to start this summer and will result in its closure for a period of time, according to Public Service Committee Chairman James Hurley (D-Ward 1).
In addition, City Council approved an ordinance to advertise for bids for an oxygen fill station for medical oxygen bottles used on ambulances.
During the public portion of the meeting, Beardsley Street resident Theresa Gussey asked Council to make improvements to the Patterson Park Community Center located in North Hill. Gussey said her leg and wrist were left “black and blue” after she had to move unused wrestling mats to access a ping pong table and there were lose tiles on the floor.
“I would like to have this fixed or taken care of,” she said.
The next Akron City Council meeting will take place April 9 at 7 p.m. in Council Chambers on the third floor of the Akron Municipal Building, located at 166 S. High St. Committee meetings will begin at 2 p.m., also in Council Chambers.
More Community News
- State Route 18 projects to begin in summer
- Copley’s Winterfest puts fun on ice
- APS exploring funds for waiting building projects
- Richfield Council delays water tower vote
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council committee chairs questioned
- Akron City Council evaluates capital budget
- Fairlawn mayor calls city’s financial condition ‘sound’
- Norton looking to sink sewer costs
- Falls Council reappoints member to library board
- Bath trustees approve sale of fire department vehicle
- Peninsula Council on third try makes quorum for meeting
- Copley exploring contract with single trash hauler
- Richfield trustees approve fire/EMS contract
- Granger trustees hear presentation on fire prevention
- County Council opposing pipeline
- Cub Scouts get creative for Chariot Races
- Coventry goes with reduced ballot issue
- Norton gives final State of the City address
- Council considers Tudor House addition
- Springfield trustees approve application for Spartan Trail
- Local blood drives
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Artsmash - 1/30/2015
- Drop-In Exercise - 1/30/2015
- Animal Tales - 1/30/2015
- Voices in the Valley: David Mayfield Bluegrass Parade - 1/30/2015
- A New Beginning - 1/31/2015