Akron City Council approves appointment, bridge improvements
Akron City Council voted unanimously to appoint Councilman Jeff Fusco (D-at large) to the Akron-Bath-Copley Joint Township Hospital District Board at the April 2 meeting.
Fusco will serve as the city’s representative to the board, replacing former Ward 7 Akron City Councilwoman Tina Merlitti, who lost her bid for re-election to Donnie Kammer in the 2011 November General Election. Fusco said the board meets once or twice a year, mostly to review financial issues.
Also at the meeting, Council agreed to vote on an ordinance for a contract with the Ohio Department of Transportation for the design and construction of improvements to the Dart Avenue bridge at the next meeting. The city will pay 20 percent of the total costs, and 100 percent of features deemed not necessary by the State and Federal Highway Administration. Those costs total $125,947, according to the legislation.
Work on the one-lane bridge is scheduled to start this summer and will result in its closure for a period of time, according to Public Service Committee Chairman James Hurley (D-Ward 1).
In addition, City Council approved an ordinance to advertise for bids for an oxygen fill station for medical oxygen bottles used on ambulances.
During the public portion of the meeting, Beardsley Street resident Theresa Gussey asked Council to make improvements to the Patterson Park Community Center located in North Hill. Gussey said her leg and wrist were left “black and blue” after she had to move unused wrestling mats to access a ping pong table and there were lose tiles on the floor.
“I would like to have this fixed or taken care of,” she said.
The next Akron City Council meeting will take place April 9 at 7 p.m. in Council Chambers on the third floor of the Akron Municipal Building, located at 166 S. High St. Committee meetings will begin at 2 p.m., also in Council Chambers.
More Community News
- Akron Council hears campaign limit concerns
- Litchfield students tops at robotics event
- Summit County to get neighbors’ surplus
- Buchtel community solving problems together
- Re-entry program offers work for newly released
- Annual budget process underway in Fairlawn
- Bath trustees approve items related to construction projects
- Boston trustees discuss water options
- Trustees support new drugstore site
- Thanksgiving Day race benefiting homeless, hungry
- Corathers named Veteran of the Year
- Corbin Foundation awards grants
- Case Ambassadors help in school, community
- Kathleen Kennedy Townsend to speak at ACF event
- Local ceremony honors veterans
- Programs for bereaved available
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Thanksgiving Story Time: for ages 2-5 - 11/20/2014
- “Maleficent" - 11/20/2014
- Doug DuBois - 11/20/2014
- Highland Book Club: “The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry,” by Gabrielle Zevin - 11/20/2014
- Tales for Tots - 11/20/2014