Copley trustees approve construction of recycling center
|Copley resident Sylvia Phillips was honored at the April 18 Copley Township Board of Trustees meeting for reaching her 100th birthday. Phillips was presented with a framed copy of a resolution passed by trustees in March. Shown from left are Trustee Helen Humphrys, Trustee Dale Panovich, Phillips and Trustee Scott Dressler|
|Photo: Pam Lifke|
Service Director Mark Mitchell received authorization at the April 18 trustees’ meeting to build a recycling center between the police department and Copley Community Center on Sunset Drive.
The recycling center, estimated to cost $18,188, will have a 20-yard container for glass and plastic and three 6-yard containers for aluminum cans, paper products and cardboard. The containers would be placed on a poured concrete pad, Mitchell said.
The project will be paid for with a 2011 Summit/Akron Solid Waste Management Authority grant of $8,174 and the balance of other recycling grants, Mitchell said. The recycling center will give 100 percent of Copley residents access to recycling, which will allow the township to qualify for recycling grant money for other future recycling programs, Mitchell said.
The recycling center will be monitored with video cameras, he added.
Trustees also recognized resident Sylvia Phillips on her 100th birthday April 3. Phillips, a former school bus driver who recently renewed her driver’s license, was presented with a framed copy of a resolution adopted by trustees at a March meeting.
In other business, the board:
• approved a five-year agreement beginning May 1 with Barberton Municipal Court for video arraignment at a cost of $750 per year;
• approved payment of $77,365 to Motorola Solutions Inc. for the third installment of the radio tower project. The funds will be reimbursed by a grant;
• approved an agreement with Copley United Methodist Church for use of its parking lot and access to North Sunnyfield Drive. The agreement is for $850 per year;
• approved a $7,400 purchase order to Miller’s Presort for printing and mailing July and October editions of the Copley Connection;
• approved a $10,000 purchase order to Kastner, Westman & Wilkins LLC for legal fees for continuing labor negotiations;
• approved a six-month leave of absence for contractual firefighter/paramedic Thomas Burke, effective April 5;
• approved police department training;
• agreed to renew a one-year loan agreement with the Naval Surface Warfare Center for night vision goggles for the police department at a cost of $600;
• approved a $19,867 purchase order to Gledhill Road Machinery Co. in Galion for installation of hydraulics, dump bed and other equipment to outfit a Ford F-550 one-ton dump truck whose purchase was authorized at an earlier meeting; and
• approved a $2,135 purchase order to consultant Alan Weinstein for work on revisions to the township zoning resolution.
The next trustees’ meeting is set for May 2 at 6 p.m. in the Copley Township offices, 1540 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
More Community News
- Council OKs $450 million capital budget
- Chili Open golfers warm up for spring
- Summit County Council welcomes Walters
- Aggregation, personnel on Akron ballots
- Roundtable staying true to mission
- West Side News & Notes
- Copley Boy Scout troop celebrating 60 years
- Two Fairlawn Fire officers promoted during Council meeting
- Norton continues discussion of Nash Heights project
- Copley trustees approve funds for road repairs
- Falls addressing issues at Broad Boulevard railroad crossing
- Richfield Village celebrating 50th anniversary next year
- Richfield trustees get update on antidrug programs
- Granger trustees approve budget for 2016
- Green may get another assisted-living site
- Middle-schoolers forging bond with French students
- Summit County Council welcomes Walters
- South Side News & Notes
- New Franklin Council updates income tax filing regulations
- Akron Council approves $450 million capital budget
- Green renews Constellation contract
Calendar of Events
- Wildlife and Wood Workshop: Squirrel Feeder - 2/13/2016
- Laughing Club - 2/13/2016
- David Allan Coe - 2/13/2016
- “Death of a Man” - 2/13/2016
- Puppet Show: Mindy Mouse Finds a Flower - 2/13/2016