Tree-mendous slogans take Arbor Day prizes
|Photos: Dale Dong|
Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic was on hand at the school for the event and talked about citizens’ responsibilities in keeping the city clean and beautiful, as pictured at right top.
Students assisted with the planting, as shown at right bottom.
Heffernan’s class is pictured at right middle with Plusquellic, KAB’s Paula Davis, Heffernan and Miller South Principal Dawn Wilson.
KAB officials said the second-place slogan, “Trees grow through stages, as it ages,” was composed by teacher Michael Morris’ class at Bridges Learning Center in Goodyear Heights. “Seeds are planted, seedlings grow, and beautiful trees will show,” was the third place-winner, written by the fourth-grade class of Andrea Lessem at Sam Salem Community Learning Center in Kenmore. Those schools also received a new tree.
KAB officials said it also helped celebrate Arbor Day with the city’s Engineering Department by selecting 2,500 dogwood and redbud seedlings that were given to all public, charter and private school fourth-grade students in the city. Students were encouraged to plant the trees in their yards, KAB officials said.
More Community News
- Akron mayor addresses ‘hacking’ attack
- Parades, services planned for Memorial Day
- APS drops Digital Academy sponsorship
- County Council committee moves ADM levy forward
- Four men honored for bravery following April car crash
- Bath applying for grant to fund police officer position
- Blighted Copley property razed; six others to follow
- Sharon preparing for Memorial Day events
- Akron Planning Commission OKs plans for new grocery
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- ZOSO with Joe Vitale Jr. Band - 5/24/2013
- Evil Ways with The Juke Hounds - 5/24/2013
- Voices in the Valley - 5/24/2013
- Who’s Bad? The Ultimate Michael Jackson Tribute - 5/24/2013
- Ballroom Nights - 5/24/2013