Akron man killed in SR 18 accident
BATH — A West Akron man was killed after the vehicle he was driving was struck on state Route (SR) 18 at Hametown Road May 21.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol (OSHP) Canton Post reported that Lawrence Turner, 53, of Seward Avenue, was traveling westbound on SR 18 when his 2006 GMC Sierra was hit by a 2007 Ford F150 driven by Michael Borchert, 37, of Colony Hills Drive in Bath at 4:56 p.m.
OSHP officials said Borchert was traveling southbound on Hametown and failed to yield at the stop sign while turning left onto SR 18. Turner’s vehicle overturned as a result of the collision.
Turner was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the OSHP. Both drivers were wearing seat belts, and the investigation is looking into whether alcohol was a factor.
According to OSHP Sgt. Dean Christ, charges against Borchert would be pending the outcome of the crash investigation. The Northeastern Ohio Regional Crash Reconstruction Team was at the site, the OSHP reported.
The Ohio Department of Transportation also was on the scene and closed SR 18 westbound for about an hour, officials reported.
More Community News
- First major Akron CSO project underway
- Culture celebrated at Global Village Festival
- Some Council members awaiting CSO update
- Community Health Center celebrating 40 years
- St. Sebastian Parish School marking 85th anniversary
- County’s Personnel Committee ironing out employee benefits
- Bath purchasing larger recycling carts
- Boston trustees discuss Halloween activities
- Sharon trustees learn of successful charity garage sale
- Library celebrates milestones with party
- River cleanup volunteers needed
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Highland Book Club: “Wonder” by R.J. Palacio - 9/18/2014
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Support Group - 9/18/2014
- “The Lady Eve” - 9/18/2014
- Are You Ready for Social Security? - 9/18/2014
- The Help - 9/19/2014