Akron man killed in SR 18 accident
BATH — A West Akron man was killed after the vehicle he was driving was struck on state Route (SR) 18 at Hametown Road May 21.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol (OSHP) Canton Post reported that Lawrence Turner, 53, of Seward Avenue, was traveling westbound on SR 18 when his 2006 GMC Sierra was hit by a 2007 Ford F150 driven by Michael Borchert, 37, of Colony Hills Drive in Bath at 4:56 p.m.
OSHP officials said Borchert was traveling southbound on Hametown and failed to yield at the stop sign while turning left onto SR 18. Turner’s vehicle overturned as a result of the collision.
Turner was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the OSHP. Both drivers were wearing seat belts, and the investigation is looking into whether alcohol was a factor.
According to OSHP Sgt. Dean Christ, charges against Borchert would be pending the outcome of the crash investigation. The Northeastern Ohio Regional Crash Reconstruction Team was at the site, the OSHP reported.
The Ohio Department of Transportation also was on the scene and closed SR 18 westbound for about an hour, officials reported.
More Community News
- Wallhaven retail development on track
- Soap Box Derby champs get grand welcome
- County Council opposes proposal for redistricting
- Bath preparing for Community Day
- Copley Heritage Day celebration Aug. 1
- West Side News & Notes
- GAR Foundation awards grants
- Bath trustees approve police replacement levy for ballot
- Copley seeking single-hauler trash bids
- Blood donation sites
- Sharon trustees finalize fire levy plans
- Richfield trustees OK funds for building project
- Chief Saley resigns from Lakemore Fire
- New Franklin updating capital needs
- Coventry school board selects new district treasurer
- County Council opposes redistricting proposal
- Akron to present revised sewer plan to U.S. EPA
- City of Akron testing algae monitoring device
Calendar of Events
- GriefCare Place - 7/29/2015
- Pond Exploration for Kids - 7/29/2015
- Wanda Hunt Band - 7/29/2015
- Retirement Workshop - 7/29/2015
- Family Programming - 7/29/2015