Akron man killed in SR 18 accident
BATH — A West Akron man was killed after the vehicle he was driving was struck on state Route (SR) 18 at Hametown Road May 21.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol (OSHP) Canton Post reported that Lawrence Turner, 53, of Seward Avenue, was traveling westbound on SR 18 when his 2006 GMC Sierra was hit by a 2007 Ford F150 driven by Michael Borchert, 37, of Colony Hills Drive in Bath at 4:56 p.m.
OSHP officials said Borchert was traveling southbound on Hametown and failed to yield at the stop sign while turning left onto SR 18. Turner’s vehicle overturned as a result of the collision.
Turner was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the OSHP. Both drivers were wearing seat belts, and the investigation is looking into whether alcohol was a factor.
According to OSHP Sgt. Dean Christ, charges against Borchert would be pending the outcome of the crash investigation. The Northeastern Ohio Regional Crash Reconstruction Team was at the site, the OSHP reported.
The Ohio Department of Transportation also was on the scene and closed SR 18 westbound for about an hour, officials reported.
More Community News
- Council supports ‘Breaking Addiction Act’
- All’s fair at annual Summit County event
- Yellow Creek advocates explore conservancy idea
- Grandmother creates memorial for slain grandson
- Copley Heritage Day set for Aug. 2
- Falls Council continues to mull Menards deal
- Road construction begins on Hines Hill Road
- Granger Fire Department moving forward with grant proposal
- Sharon trustees approve fire levy for November ballot
- Medina County Fair offering variety of activities
- Akron Rotary inducts president
- Sno-cone sale benefits playground project
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014
- “Shout! The Mod Musical” - 8/2/2014
- Branching out: U.S. Vital Records and Obituaries - 8/2/2014
- GroundWorks DanceTheater - 8/2/2014