Akron man killed in SR 18 accident
BATH — A West Akron man was killed after the vehicle he was driving was struck on state Route (SR) 18 at Hametown Road May 21.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol (OSHP) Canton Post reported that Lawrence Turner, 53, of Seward Avenue, was traveling westbound on SR 18 when his 2006 GMC Sierra was hit by a 2007 Ford F150 driven by Michael Borchert, 37, of Colony Hills Drive in Bath at 4:56 p.m.
OSHP officials said Borchert was traveling southbound on Hametown and failed to yield at the stop sign while turning left onto SR 18. Turner’s vehicle overturned as a result of the collision.
Turner was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the OSHP. Both drivers were wearing seat belts, and the investigation is looking into whether alcohol was a factor.
According to OSHP Sgt. Dean Christ, charges against Borchert would be pending the outcome of the crash investigation. The Northeastern Ohio Regional Crash Reconstruction Team was at the site, the OSHP reported.
The Ohio Department of Transportation also was on the scene and closed SR 18 westbound for about an hour, officials reported.
More Community News
- Health officials probe hospital TB exposure
- Richfield Village kicks off jubilee year
- Falls forms team to address opiate addiction
- Kurt continues as Clerk of Courts
- Early meetings don’t dissuade Copley Key Club members
- West Side News & Notes
- Boston trustees honor community members
- Impact Award winners honored
- Bath trustees request intersection study
- Shapiro takes oath of office
- Mature Services receives grant for program
Calendar of Events
- Play and Stay Friday - 1/20/2017
- 11th Annual Chili Challenge to benefit Akron Children’s Hospital’s Burn Unit - 1/20/2017
- Silly Fridays: Create Your Own Crystal Garden - 1/20/2017
- Homeschoolers: The Power of Poison: ages 11-14 - 1/20/2017
- Puppet Show: Mindy Mouse Finds a Flower - 1/21/2017