Akron man killed in SR 18 accident
BATH — A West Akron man was killed after the vehicle he was driving was struck on state Route (SR) 18 at Hametown Road May 21.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol (OSHP) Canton Post reported that Lawrence Turner, 53, of Seward Avenue, was traveling westbound on SR 18 when his 2006 GMC Sierra was hit by a 2007 Ford F150 driven by Michael Borchert, 37, of Colony Hills Drive in Bath at 4:56 p.m.
OSHP officials said Borchert was traveling southbound on Hametown and failed to yield at the stop sign while turning left onto SR 18. Turner’s vehicle overturned as a result of the collision.
Turner was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the OSHP. Both drivers were wearing seat belts, and the investigation is looking into whether alcohol was a factor.
According to OSHP Sgt. Dean Christ, charges against Borchert would be pending the outcome of the crash investigation. The Northeastern Ohio Regional Crash Reconstruction Team was at the site, the OSHP reported.
The Ohio Department of Transportation also was on the scene and closed SR 18 westbound for about an hour, officials reported.
More Community News
- Bath parks levy renewal on May ballot
- Area communities offering Safety Town
- Woodridge studying future of school buildings
- Council OKs new Dollar General in Merriman Valley
- Youth employment program getting on its way
- Falls Council OKs purchase for Electrical Department
- Norton Council accepts Moving Ohio Forward funds
- Boston trustees take step to clear property
- Sharon trustees discuss recent township break-ins
- Granger trustees approve tax abatement guidelines
- KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
- LaRose honors local youth
- YMCAs presenting Healthy Kids Day
- Montrose transportation meeting set for May 15
- United Way announces education investments, new funding strategy
- West Side News & Notes
- Green district seeking levy renewal
- Children celebrate Easter early
- Board strikes deal to keep fitness center running
- Springfield officer honored for service
- Grant possibility could increase police presence in Coventry
- Youth employment program on its way
- Rebuilding Together to improve nine area homes
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Susan Graham - 4/21/2014
- Prostate Cancer Awareness Ministry - 4/21/2014
- A New Adventure - 4/23/2014
- Jeri Holland - 4/23/2014
- Blue Man Group - 4/23/2014