Memorial Day events offer chance for reflection
|Memorial Day services will take place around the area May 27-28. Shown at top and above are the city of Green’s and Lakemore Village’s celebrations, respectively, last year.|
|Photos: Joyce Rainey Long & Lew Stamp
The following is a list of events taking place in the South Side News Leader coverage area.
The Summit County Veterans Council — including all Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) and members of American Legion and Army/Navy garrisons — will have a Memorial Day ceremony May 27 at 1 p.m. at the Akron Civil War Memorial Cemetery Chapel at Glendale Cemetery, 150 Glendale Ave. Cmdr. George Fisher will give the welcome, and Laura Williams Dunlop will offer the invocation. The VFW Post No. 7971 and American Legion Post No. 566 Honor Guard Firing Squad will participate. Quintin Geary will play taps. For more information, call 330-762-7328.
Memorial Day events in Green will take place May 28. The day will begin with the Green Firemedics Pancake Breakfast at Fire Station No. 1, located at Massillon and Steese roads, from 7 to 9:30 a.m. Donations will be accepted and will benefit a local charity. Breakfast will include pancakes, sausage, coffee and juice.
The Green Memorial Day Parade will step off at 10 a.m. from Green High School, 1474 Bottler Road, and travel east on Boettler Road, south on Massillon Road to Steese Road and finish at Green Intermediate School, 1737 Steese Road.
A memorial ceremony will take place at noon at Veterans Memorial Park, 4224 Massillon Road. Mayor Dick Norton and Sgt. Raymond Kunkler will be the featured speakers. Norton also will recognize World War II veteran Jep Crum, 94, of Green, who served five years as a staff sergeant.
The community picnic and car show will begin at 12:30 p.m. at the John Torok Community/Senior Center, 4224 Massillon Road. The free picnic will include hot dogs, chips, drinks and ice cream, as well as a 20th birthday cake for the city. Also, Col. Brian Watson will sign and sell copies of his book, “Igloos in the Jungle — Memories of a Tactical Airlifter in Vietnam and Beyond.” Proceeds from the book benefit the Wounded Warrior Project and the Fisher House.
City officials advise those attending events to park at Queen of Heaven Church or Anthony Funeral Home. Handicapped parking is available at Fire Station No. 1. For more information, call 330-896-6621 or go to www.cityof green.org.
The Lakemore Fire Department will host a pancake breakfast from 9 a.m. to noon on Memorial Day, May 28, at the station to collect donations for the fire fund. City officials also said the village’s Memorial Day Parade will start at 1 p.m. at Springfield High School, 2966 Sanitarium Road. From there, the parade will head down Lake Road to the Triangle, where a memorial service will take place.
New Franklin’s activities will start with the annual Memorial Day Parade at 10 a.m. May 28. The parade will begin at Grace Bible Church, 5781 Manchester Road, and travel south to finish with a service at the Manchester Cemetery on West Nimisila Road. The parade grand marshal will be Keith Watson, a resident who served in the U.S. Navy.
Also participating will be the Manchester High School Band, sports teams and Scouting groups. Master of ceremonies for the service will be Mayor Al Bollas. Olivia Clark, a senior at Manchester High School, will sing the national anthem. American Legion Post No. 566 will provide the 21-gun salute.
Plans also call for an announcement of the winners of the Joey Ashley Memorial Scholarship. For more details, call 330-882-4324.
The Springfield Township Veterans’ Memorial Committee will host its annual Memorial Day Service May 27 at 2 p.m. at the township’s Veterans Memorial Park on Kubler Road.
More Community News
- Council discusses Montrose traffic upgrade
- Tree festival puts spotlight on season
- Akron Council mulls moving election of officers
- Seasonal volunteer opportunities abound in area
- Ronald McDonald House set to grow
- Holiday décor sparkles at tree festival
- West Side News & Notes
- Copley trustees award building replacement bidq
- VFW Post 349 recognizes veteran support groups at dinner
- IRS recommends reviewing tax status now
- Richfield Council adds historic overlay district to zoning code
- BBB offering shopping, giving advice
- Richfield trustees preparing for move into new building
- ADM Board honors trailblazers
- Akron RubberDucks helps to feed hungry, homeless
- West Akron Baseball League volunteers clean up yards
- New Franklin accepted into SWSCOG
- Pokorny family savors special Thanksgiving
- Green Council OKs finance items
- South Side News & Notes
- Akron Council mulls moving election of officers
- County Council learns of upcoming road projects
Calendar of Events
- Cookbook Book Club: Chestnuts - 11/30/2015
- Baby Time - 11/30/2015
- American Sewing Guild Fairlawn Group - 12/1/2015
- Boy=Girl - 12/2/2015
- Handmade Gifts for the Holidays: ages 3-6 - 12/2/2015