Richfield greets fall with community events
|Photos: Ken Crisafi|
Village officials who attended the dedication were, shown at right middle, from left, Council President Mike Wheeler, former Mayor Mike Lyons, Mayor Bobbie Beshara, Parks and Recreation Director Ruth Jocek, Parks and Recreation Board Chair Ellen Daniels and Parks Board member Steve McPeake.
After the dedication, many attendees stopped by the Richfield Fire Department’s (RFD) Firefighter Chili Cook-off. The event pitted firefighters from communities including Bath, Copley, Fairlawn, Richfield and the Valley Fire District against each other to see whose firehouse chili is the best. Pictured at right top, from left, are chili servers Steve Kamp, of the Bath Fire Department; Tom Sullivan, of the RFD; Dan Elbert, of the RFD; Kevin Urban, of the Brecksville Fire Department; David Vance, of the Hinckley Fire Department; and Ron Boryk, of the RFD.
Alexis Mathis, 7, of Cuyahoga Falls, attended with her grandmothers, Sarah Schoolcraft and Thelma Watson, both of Richfield. While there, she had the chance to try her hand at firefighting at the “squirt house” with the help of RFD Lt. Bob Jones, as shown above left.
Proceeds from the Cook-off went toward fire safety education programs such as a smoke house and October’s Fire Prevention Week, organizers said.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014
- “Shout! The Mod Musical” - 8/2/2014
- Branching out: U.S. Vital Records and Obituaries - 8/2/2014
- GroundWorks DanceTheater - 8/2/2014