Richfield greets fall with community events
|Photos: Ken Crisafi|
Village officials who attended the dedication were, shown at right middle, from left, Council President Mike Wheeler, former Mayor Mike Lyons, Mayor Bobbie Beshara, Parks and Recreation Director Ruth Jocek, Parks and Recreation Board Chair Ellen Daniels and Parks Board member Steve McPeake.
After the dedication, many attendees stopped by the Richfield Fire Department’s (RFD) Firefighter Chili Cook-off. The event pitted firefighters from communities including Bath, Copley, Fairlawn, Richfield and the Valley Fire District against each other to see whose firehouse chili is the best. Pictured at right top, from left, are chili servers Steve Kamp, of the Bath Fire Department; Tom Sullivan, of the RFD; Dan Elbert, of the RFD; Kevin Urban, of the Brecksville Fire Department; David Vance, of the Hinckley Fire Department; and Ron Boryk, of the RFD.
Alexis Mathis, 7, of Cuyahoga Falls, attended with her grandmothers, Sarah Schoolcraft and Thelma Watson, both of Richfield. While there, she had the chance to try her hand at firefighting at the “squirt house” with the help of RFD Lt. Bob Jones, as shown above left.
Proceeds from the Cook-off went toward fire safety education programs such as a smoke house and October’s Fire Prevention Week, organizers said.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- Girls explore engineering careers
- County consumer protection gets attention
- Crown Point celebrating 25th year
- Local Women Who Care hoping to increase ranks
- Firestone Theatre one of first to stage ‘Mary Poppins’
- ACF announces record assets, awards $1.93 million in grants
- Akron Council voices opposition to ‘restrictive’ state bills
- Bath trustees hire staff for fire department
- Boston trustees discuss action to clear property
- Wadsworth judge presents annual report to Sharon trustees
- West Side News & Notes
- County’s consumer protection gets attention
- Green district celebrates education
- Springfield trustees eyeing new pumper
- Local man impacts mental health training worldwide
- Green students Do Something good
- Lakemore making progress with village deficit
- Jewish Community Board celebrates century
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Garden Bucket List - 3/8/2014
- Akron Symphony Orchestra - 3/8/2014
- Ballroom Dancing - 3/8/2014
- Boy Scouts Troop No. 304 Pancake Breakfast - 3/8/2014
- Louie Bluie Legacy Band featuring Ralphe Armstrong - 3/8/2014