Richfield greets fall with community events
|Photos: Ken Crisafi|
Village officials who attended the dedication were, shown at right middle, from left, Council President Mike Wheeler, former Mayor Mike Lyons, Mayor Bobbie Beshara, Parks and Recreation Director Ruth Jocek, Parks and Recreation Board Chair Ellen Daniels and Parks Board member Steve McPeake.
After the dedication, many attendees stopped by the Richfield Fire Department’s (RFD) Firefighter Chili Cook-off. The event pitted firefighters from communities including Bath, Copley, Fairlawn, Richfield and the Valley Fire District against each other to see whose firehouse chili is the best. Pictured at right top, from left, are chili servers Steve Kamp, of the Bath Fire Department; Tom Sullivan, of the RFD; Dan Elbert, of the RFD; Kevin Urban, of the Brecksville Fire Department; David Vance, of the Hinckley Fire Department; and Ron Boryk, of the RFD.
Alexis Mathis, 7, of Cuyahoga Falls, attended with her grandmothers, Sarah Schoolcraft and Thelma Watson, both of Richfield. While there, she had the chance to try her hand at firefighting at the “squirt house” with the help of RFD Lt. Bob Jones, as shown above left.
Proceeds from the Cook-off went toward fire safety education programs such as a smoke house and October’s Fire Prevention Week, organizers said.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- County notes success of Gay Games
- Copley fathers, sons hike Grand Canyon rim to rim
- Fairlawn updating rental, housing code
- Church offering English as second language classes
- Medina County hiking program begins Sept. 1
- Bath board approves road improvements, trail construction
- Boston officials discuss new safety measures
- Sharon Fire adding new shift
- Red Cross names interim chapter executive
- JLA accepts grant for Kids in the Kitchen project
- West Side News & Notes
- Coventry to further fund flood mitigation
- Local man ‘model’ citizen with building hobby
- County Council notes success of Gay Games
- Cottage Grove School set for demolition
- Kick for The Cure benefiting Camp Quality, hospice
- Springfield trustees seeking to reduce water/sewer bills further
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Saturday Dance and Gymnastics - 8/23/2014
- Sixth Medina International Fest - 8/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 8/23/2014
- “Relatively Speaking” by Alan Ayckbourn - 8/24/2014
- Hudson Stamp Show - 8/24/2014