New Franklin honoring oldest living resident
|Photos: Maria Lindsay|
Phelps, who lives with her only daughter, Cleta Boyce, and her son-in-law, Charles Boyce, said she was glad to meet the mayor. Phelps is pictured above with Bollas and the flowers he gave her.
Cleta Boyce said her mother is the oldest woman in Ohio and the eighth oldest in the United States, and is the 13th super-centenarian in the county (those older than 110).
Phelps was born in Johnstown, Penn., moved to Akron in 1917 and got a job building dirigibles for B.F. Goodrich before marrying her husband, Dennis Phelps, in 1926, according to Cleta Boyce. They were married 53 years before he died in 1980. She has two grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
“She is legally blind and hard of hearing, but she has her mind,” said her daughter. She also said her mother used to love reading the newspapers from cover to cover and doing crossword puzzles.
She said she believes “good, clean living, hard work and her Christian faith, and never drinking or smoking” has contributed to her mother’s longevity.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014
- Mosaic Picture Frame for grades 5-12 - 7/24/2014
- Taste of Akron - 7/24/2014