New Franklin honoring oldest living resident
|Photos: Maria Lindsay|
Phelps, who lives with her only daughter, Cleta Boyce, and her son-in-law, Charles Boyce, said she was glad to meet the mayor. Phelps is pictured above with Bollas and the flowers he gave her.
Cleta Boyce said her mother is the oldest woman in Ohio and the eighth oldest in the United States, and is the 13th super-centenarian in the county (those older than 110).
Phelps was born in Johnstown, Penn., moved to Akron in 1917 and got a job building dirigibles for B.F. Goodrich before marrying her husband, Dennis Phelps, in 1926, according to Cleta Boyce. They were married 53 years before he died in 1980. She has two grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
“She is legally blind and hard of hearing, but she has her mind,” said her daughter. She also said her mother used to love reading the newspapers from cover to cover and doing crossword puzzles.
She said she believes “good, clean living, hard work and her Christian faith, and never drinking or smoking” has contributed to her mother’s longevity.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- State Route 18 projects to begin in summer
- Copley’s Winterfest puts fun on ice
- APS exploring funds for waiting building projects
- Richfield Council delays water tower vote
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council committee chairs questioned
- Akron City Council evaluates capital budget
- Fairlawn mayor calls city’s financial condition ‘sound’
- Norton looking to sink sewer costs
- Falls Council reappoints member to library board
- Bath trustees approve sale of fire department vehicle
- Peninsula Council on third try makes quorum for meeting
- Copley exploring contract with single trash hauler
- Richfield trustees approve fire/EMS contract
- Granger trustees hear presentation on fire prevention
- County Council opposing pipeline
- Cub Scouts get creative for Chariot Races
- Coventry goes with reduced ballot issue
- Norton gives final State of the City address
- Council considers Tudor House addition
- Springfield trustees approve application for Spartan Trail
- Local blood drives
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Akron Baroque: Super Bowl Baroque! - 2/1/2015
- Backyard Bird Feeding - 2/1/2015
- Melissa Harris-Perry - 2/2/2015
- Make a Pop-Up Book: grades 3-6 - 2/2/2015
- Fondues and Essential Oils - 2/3/2015