New Franklin honoring oldest living resident
|Photos: Maria Lindsay|
Phelps, who lives with her only daughter, Cleta Boyce, and her son-in-law, Charles Boyce, said she was glad to meet the mayor. Phelps is pictured above with Bollas and the flowers he gave her.
Cleta Boyce said her mother is the oldest woman in Ohio and the eighth oldest in the United States, and is the 13th super-centenarian in the county (those older than 110).
Phelps was born in Johnstown, Penn., moved to Akron in 1917 and got a job building dirigibles for B.F. Goodrich before marrying her husband, Dennis Phelps, in 1926, according to Cleta Boyce. They were married 53 years before he died in 1980. She has two grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
“She is legally blind and hard of hearing, but she has her mind,” said her daughter. She also said her mother used to love reading the newspapers from cover to cover and doing crossword puzzles.
She said she believes “good, clean living, hard work and her Christian faith, and never drinking or smoking” has contributed to her mother’s longevity.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014