10th Akron Marathon breaks records
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
South Broadway in Downtown Akron was filled with runners at the start of the marathon. Shown at right top is a sea of runners as they run from the starting line.
According to marathon officials, Richard Kessio, of Toledo, shown at left top, was the overall winner for the men with a time of 2:18:51. Shanna Ailes Istnick, of Kent, shown at left bottom, was the overall winner for the women with a time of 2:55:10.
In addition, approximately 1,880 children and parents participated in the Kids Fun Run for those ages 14 and younger.
Throughout the 26-mile route, which winds through the city of Akron, spectators cheered on runners, who were entertained by local performers. Shown at right bottom, fans cheered runners crossing the finish line.
For complete results, go to the website www.akron marathon.org.
— By Kathleen Collins
More Community News
- Minus kitchen, shelter will feed residents
- Revere students schooled on financial literacy
- Travel expenses spur Akron City Council discussion
- Copley survey results to guide development
- West Side News & Notes
- Norton celebrates upgraded bond rating
- Four to seek vacant Norton City Council seat
- Sharon Post Office to host Passport Fair
- Council delays vote on repairs to downtown decks
- Peninsula Council honors resident
- Boston trustees discuss new speed limit law
- Council considers rezoning request on West Streetsboro Road
- Trustees OK agreement for Southern Road property
- Granger property owner addresses BZA ruling
- Police seeking help with burglaries
- Green Middle School assisting students in need
- Coventry district presents report on open enrollment
- Coventry closes door to new gaming establishments
- South Side News & Notes
- Even without kitchen, shelter will feed residents
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 2/22/2017
- “Saturday Night Fever — The Musical” - 2/22/2017
- Hydration in Older Adults - 2/22/2017
- Meet Me in the Garden - 2/22/2017
- Fiber Art Open Studio - 2/22/2017