10th Akron Marathon breaks records
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
South Broadway in Downtown Akron was filled with runners at the start of the marathon. Shown at right top is a sea of runners as they run from the starting line.
According to marathon officials, Richard Kessio, of Toledo, shown at left top, was the overall winner for the men with a time of 2:18:51. Shanna Ailes Istnick, of Kent, shown at left bottom, was the overall winner for the women with a time of 2:55:10.
In addition, approximately 1,880 children and parents participated in the Kids Fun Run for those ages 14 and younger.
Throughout the 26-mile route, which winds through the city of Akron, spectators cheered on runners, who were entertained by local performers. Shown at right bottom, fans cheered runners crossing the finish line.
For complete results, go to the website www.akron marathon.org.
— By Kathleen Collins
More Community News
- Kayaks take plunge in Falls
- Council OKs Akron residential tax plan
- E-poll books may update voting process in county
- Inside|Out art spreads to Copley, West Akron
- Breaux promotes positive attitude on bench
- West Side News & Notes
- Love Akron Network Awards Breakfast focusing on civility
- Summit County officials train for emergencies
- Norton bans medical marijuana operations in city
- Humane Society has new Mobile Adoption Center
- Falls receives grant for preserve project
- Falls breaks ground for downtown revitalization
- City offering electronics recycling
- Falls cleanup May 1-12
- Trustees holding public hearings on fee
- Richfield approves resolutions on autism, intolerance
- Granger officials hear update on proposed conservancy district
- Kiwanis creates baskets for women’s shelter
- MCBDD suggests early detection key for autism
- Touch-A-Truck event offering close-up view
- Council hears schoolhouse recommendation
- Springfield dedicates new playground, trail
- Coventry BOE seeking fiscal emergency release
- New Franklin Council absences delay adoption of legislation
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 4/29/2017
- In Search of Woodcocks - 4/29/2017
- World Tai Chi and Qi Gong Day - 4/29/2017
- Yoga - 4/29/2017
- Rubber City Beatlefest with Hard Days Night and Just Imagine: The Reunion Concert - 4/29/2017