10th Akron Marathon breaks records
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
South Broadway in Downtown Akron was filled with runners at the start of the marathon. Shown at right top is a sea of runners as they run from the starting line.
According to marathon officials, Richard Kessio, of Toledo, shown at left top, was the overall winner for the men with a time of 2:18:51. Shanna Ailes Istnick, of Kent, shown at left bottom, was the overall winner for the women with a time of 2:55:10.
In addition, approximately 1,880 children and parents participated in the Kids Fun Run for those ages 14 and younger.
Throughout the 26-mile route, which winds through the city of Akron, spectators cheered on runners, who were entertained by local performers. Shown at right bottom, fans cheered runners crossing the finish line.
For complete results, go to the website www.akron marathon.org.
— By Kathleen Collins
More Community News
- Bath parks levy renewal on May ballot
- Area communities offering Safety Town
- Woodridge studying future of school buildings
- Council OKs new Dollar General in Merriman Valley
- Youth employment program getting on its way
- Falls Council OKs purchase for Electrical Department
- Norton Council accepts Moving Ohio Forward funds
- Boston trustees take step to clear property
- Sharon trustees discuss recent township break-ins
- Granger trustees approve tax abatement guidelines
- KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
- LaRose honors local youth
- YMCAs presenting Healthy Kids Day
- Montrose transportation meeting set for May 15
- United Way announces education investments, new funding strategy
- West Side News & Notes
- Green district seeking levy renewal
- Children celebrate Easter early
- Board strikes deal to keep fitness center running
- Springfield officer honored for service
- Grant possibility could increase police presence in Coventry
- Youth employment program on its way
- Rebuilding Together to improve nine area homes
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 4/23/2014
- Jeri Holland - 4/23/2014
- Blue Man Group - 4/23/2014
- Apollo’s Fire - 4/24/2014
- “Bye Bye Birdie” - 4/24/2014