10th Akron Marathon breaks records
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
South Broadway in Downtown Akron was filled with runners at the start of the marathon. Shown at right top is a sea of runners as they run from the starting line.
According to marathon officials, Richard Kessio, of Toledo, shown at left top, was the overall winner for the men with a time of 2:18:51. Shanna Ailes Istnick, of Kent, shown at left bottom, was the overall winner for the women with a time of 2:55:10.
In addition, approximately 1,880 children and parents participated in the Kids Fun Run for those ages 14 and younger.
Throughout the 26-mile route, which winds through the city of Akron, spectators cheered on runners, who were entertained by local performers. Shown at right bottom, fans cheered runners crossing the finish line.
For complete results, go to the website www.akron marathon.org.
— By Kathleen Collins
More Community News
- Portage Crossing coming to life
- Glowing lights shine at Holiday Tree Festival
- Norton police chief sworn in
- Akron addressing daytime burglaries
- Wanted: Holiday volunteers
- Council supports grant application for Richfield site
- Skaters, hockey players to benefit from plow purchase
- Richfield reviewing proposed guidelines for historic district
- Richfield trustees review proposals for police, fire contracts
- Granger trustees agree Brenelle Lane should not be terminated
- Turkeys common in Metro Parks
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Pre-Holiday Book Sale - 11/26/2014
- Nature Drawing for Adults - 11/26/2014
- Joseph Arthur - 11/26/2014
- Mo Mojo - 11/26/2014
- History Hike - 11/28/2014