Granger Fire Department utilizes helpful software
At the Oct. 8 meeting, the Granger Township Board of Trustees heard from Assistant Fire Chief Keith Mercek, who recently attended a four-day FIREHOUSE Software Education and Training Seminar where he learned additional ways the Granger Fire Department can better utilize their current software to maintain their records.
Mercek explained FIREHOUSE Software features various modules for incident reporting, inventory, payroll, etc.
He also indicated there is “a lot more information that can be put into FIREHOUSE [to] bring up later that we are not doing now,” and proposed an additional computer workstation so two people can work on entering data at the same time.
Trustee Richard Pace agreed it was smart to start obtaining standardized data now and said he would be fine with a second seat provided the Fire Department present regular updates on how they are utilizing the software more.
In other business:
• Fire Chief Jim Paulett noted there were six fire and 26 EMS calls in September.
• Nancy West’s last day as zoning inspector will be Oct. 12. Annie George, the current zoning secretary, who served as interim zoning inspector this past winter, is going to fill the position.
• Trustees passed a resolution authorizing transfer and final budget amendments for the Stony Hill Culvert Issue 1 Project. The total cost of the project was about $102,332, according to Fiscal Officer Barbara Beach. The state of Ohio paid about $72,063, and Granger paid about $30,269, higher than the estimated 26 percent, given the additional cost of clearing trees, placing legal ads and recording an easement.
• Fiscal Officer Barbara Beach read a thank-you letter from 13-year-old Eagle Scout Josh Kedzior, who recently completed his bench project.
• Granger has contracted with #1 Landscaping to salt its roads this winter. The cost of salt from Cargill this year is $38.20/ton through the Ohio Department of Transportation-led consortium, almost $10 less than last year. The price has not been this low since 2008, according to Beach.
• The General Election will take place Nov. 6. Precinct A and B will vote at the fire station, and C will vote at the Administration Building, where the Friends of the Library will hold a bake sale.
• The Medina County Auditor’s Office reminded residents the deadline to submit information to dispute 2013 property valuations is Oct. 12.
The Auditor’s Office also is sponsoring a contest to design stickers used by the Weights and Measures Division open to high school students in Medina County through Nov. 21.
• Granger resident Cami Lewton repeated her concern over allowing hydraulic fracturing. She urged the board to proceed with due care in such matters and to consider passing a resolution to prohibit gas and oil drilling on township property.
• Trustees went into executive session to discuss personnel, with no action taken.
The next Granger Board of Trustees meeting will take place Oct. 22 at 4 p.m. at the Administration Building, 3717 Ridge Road.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014