Norton Council supports levies
Norton City Council members voted during the Oct. 9 meeting to support two levies that will be before voters in the Nov. 6 General Election.
Council voted 6-0, with member Charlotte Whipkey (at large) absent, to support Issue No. 27, the city’s 4.6-mill fire levy that aims to restore staffing that was cut earlier this year at the Norton Fire Department.
Council also voted 6-0 to support Issue No. 66, a 1.9-mill continuing levy for the Norton City Schools.
In other business, Council Clerk Karla Richards said Council did not vote in favor of a rezoning request for a building at 4331 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road. The owner, who is trying to sell the former woodworking shop, has requested the zoning there be changed from R-1 (Single Family Residential) to B-3 (Commercial Business).
Richards said the owner can’t sell the building because the zoning is up in the air.
“He has an option to come back to the city and file a new application to go to B-2 [Commercial Business] zoning, or the administration has the power to change zoning themselves,” she said.
Councilman John Conklin (Ward 4) asked City Administrator Richard Ryland to look into that, Richards said.
“If we do that, we may do it for the whole area,” she said, adding that the process would be “time consuming.”
During a public hearing on the matter in September, several residents whose homes are near the lot questioned changing the zoning in the area, according to the minutes.
Norton Council will next meet Oct. 22 at 7 p.m. in Council Chambers in the Safety-Administration Building, 4060 Columbia Woods Drive.
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Mosaic Picture Frame for grades 5-12 - 7/24/2014
- Taste of Akron - 7/24/2014
- “Complaints of a Dutiful Daughter:” - 7/24/2014
- Downtown@Dusk: Horns and Things - 7/24/2014
- GriefCare Place - 7/24/2014