Donations needed for Children Services’ holiday programs
SOUTH AKRON — Summit County Children Services (SCCS) once again is calling upon the generosity of county residents to make the season come alive for the children in its care.
According to SCCS officials, tax dollars may not be used for certain expenses, and community donations are needed for the following programs:
• The Holiday Toy Room — The Holiday Toy Room is a place where foster parents, kinship caregivers and client families “shop” for toys and gifts to give to their children. No money is exchanged, and everything is available at no cost to eligible agency client families, thanks to the generosity of the community, according to SCCS officials.
Donations of toys and gifts for all ages of children (especially teen boys) and/or financial contributions to purchase toys are needed. Donations of gloves and mittens also are requested. Donations may be made directly to SCCS, 264 S. Arlington St. It is requested that donations be delivered by Nov. 16, if possible. Last year, more than 1,100 children in agency care received gifts through this program.
• Adopt-a-Family — Those who prefer to select a specific gift for an individual child may choose to help with the Adopt-a-Family program. Agency social workers recommend individual children for this program, and each child provides a wish list of a few items. Donors purchase and wrap the gifts and deliver them to the agency, then social workers deliver the gifts personally to the children’s homes.
Donors may “adopt” one or more individual children through this program. Gifts for this program must be delivered to SCCS by Dec. 7. Last year, more than 300 individual children were “adopted” by donors and received holiday gifts.
• Food Gift Card Program — Gift cards in increments of $20 or $25 to local grocery stores, such as Save-A-Lot and ALDI, are provided to families in need during the holidays. This program helps ensure that children and their families have food during the holidays, according to SCCS officials.
Those interested may either donate the gift cards or the money to purchase them. It is requested that contributions for this program be sent or delivered to SCCS by Nov. 16. Last year, more than 50 families in need received grocery store gift cards for family holiday meals.
Any donations may be dropped off or mailed to SCCS, 264 S. Arlington St., from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week. For specific information on these holiday programs, contact Patricia Roy at 330-379-2055 or email@example.com. For general information about all of these programs, or to make monetary donations online, log on to www.summitkids.org and click on the “Donor/Volunteer Opportunities” tab and go to “Holidays.”
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs retiree benefit changes
- Treats in store at Akron Zoo
- County seeing opiate epidemic effects on finances
- APS board hears financial forecast
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office dedicates K-9 memorial
- ‘King of the Falls’ receives recognition at Broad Boulevard
- Falls leaf program start delayed to Oct. 31
- Falls seeking Youth Advisory Council members
- Norton Council OKs energy efficiency improvements
- Montrose Avenue zoning request in Bath withdrawn
- Norton Council clerk collecting pajama donations
- Boy Scout builds birdhouses for area shelters
- Copley trustees purchase third parcel for ‘campus’
- KAB recognizes board member, volunteer
- Richfield Council considering expanding cemeteries
- Granger board hears complaints about after-hours park use
- Lead poisoning prevention push underway
- SCPH gets $2.9 million for Lead Hazard Control program
- County Adopt-A-Thon rehomes pets
- Green honors fire captain for state award
- Springfield district hosts Halloween event
- Springfield sewer project starting soon
- Financial Planning Commission gets committee reports
- Green High School auditorium receiving sound upgrade
- South Side News & Notes
- New Franklin Council OKs raise for finance director
Calendar of Events
- Art of Vijay Rastogi - 10/28/2016
- Twilight Hike and Campfire - 10/28/2016
- Tales for Tots: ages 3-6 - 10/28/2016
- Elvis Costello and the Imposters - 10/28/2016
- Ballroom Nights - 10/28/2016