Veterans Day events honor those who served
GREATER AKRON — Veterans Day is Nov. 11, a Sunday, but the federal holiday honoring our nation’s veterans will be marked the following day.
Events are planned in the area on days leading up to the national holiday, for which government offices and banks will be closed. Also, all Akron-Summit County Public Library locations will be closed. Schools will be in session, however, with many planning special assemblies.
Here’s a rundown of local activities taking place in the West Side Leader’s coverage area.
• The Akron Zoo will offer free admission to veterans and members of the military who show their military identification Nov. 11-17. The zoo is open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and is located at 500 Edgewood Ave. For details, go to www.akron zoo.org or call 330-375-2550.
• Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens is offering free admission to all veterans and military personnel who present their military identification and who visit on Nov. 11. The estate is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Admission includes a self-guided tour of the 65-room Manor House, the Gate Lodge and Corbin Conservatory, as well as access to the landscaped gardens and grounds. Accompanying family members pay regular prices. Stan Hywet is located at 714 N. Portage Path. For more information, go to www.stanhywet.org or call 330-836-5533.
• The F.A. Seiberling Nature Realm Visitors Center, 1828 Smith Road, is closed most Mondays but will be open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Nov. 12 for Veterans Day. For more information, go to summitme troparks.org or call 330-865-8065.
• Summa Western Reserve Hospital (SWRH) will host a Veterans Day celebration for its employees, volunteers, physicians, patients and all area veterans Nov. 9 at 11 a.m. in the hospital’s Auditorium 1 at 1900 23rd St. During the event, veteran Marine Sgt. Jackson Shatraw, SWRH director of materials management, will address attendees on the significance of Veterans Day, as well as honor those who have served or continue to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces. Shatraw served from 1995 to 1999 and operated as part of the Marine Air-Ground Task Force, which was deployed around the world. In addition, the hospital will present a ceremonial flag raising at the hospital at 7 a.m. For more information, contact Kathy Romito, community outreach manager, at 330-971-7408 or email email@example.com.
• North Coast WAVES Unit 21 will host a Veterans Day Celebration Nov. 10 at 11:30 a.m. at the 356th Fighter Group, 4919 Mt. Pleasant Road in Green. The event will feature a tribute to a symbol of military units, where the women veterans of the North Coast WAVES Unit 21 will be honored for their military service. At the conclusion of the ceremony, local singing group Ocho-Sync-O will entertain attendees. Any female veteran is encouraged to come out and meet with other women veterans who have served in the U.S. Armed Forces during conflicts from World War II to present. The cost is $15. To make a reservation, contact Unit Vice President Marlana Robertshaw at 330-788-5005.
• Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad (CVSR) will provide a free train ride through Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP) for all current military members, veterans and their families Nov. 12. The train will depart from the Rockside Station, 7900 Old Rockside Road, at 1:30 p.m. for a three-hour excursion to Akron Northside Station and back. Tickets will be available at the Rockside Station 45 minutes prior to departure and will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. No advance tickets are available. World War II veterans will be seated in the premium section as special recognition. Wheelchair access is available, though limited. While on the ride, passengers will be able to enjoy the Voices of the Valley audio tour, which describes the cultural and natural history of CVNP. For more information, go to www.CVSR.com or call 800-468-4070.
• Hospice of Medina County is planning pinning ceremonies throughout the area to publicly acknowledge the service and sacrifices made by veterans. Events are planned Nov. 9 at 2 p.m. at Western Reserve Masonic Community, 4931 Nettleton Road in Medina; Nov. 12 at 2 p.m. at Emeritus of Medina, 100 High Point Drive; and Nov. 15 at 11 a.m. at Barberton Senior Center, 500 W. Hopocan Ave.
More Community News
- RNC delegates expected to stay in area
- New Firestone/Litchfield CLC nearing completion
- Akron Council hears juvenile court program info
- County Council gets health report from SCPH
- West Side News & Notes
- Towpath bridge investigation continues
- Falls Council honors student for generosity
- Norton Council discusses public health issues, sewer project
- Copley trustees move time of meetings
- Richfield Council considering agreement with Briarwood
- Richfield trustees thank out-going employee
- Granger officials respond to cemetery complaint
Calendar of Events
- GriefCare Place - 4/28/2016
- Book Sale - 4/28/2016
- Art by Deanna Clucas - 4/28/2016
- Double T Quilt Show - 4/28/2016
- Aroma Yoga: Slow Flow Class with Essential Oils - 4/28/2016