Copley police chief thankful for levy approval
A day after the passage of the Copley police levy, Copley Police Chief Michael Mier thanked the community for its support of the police department.
Mier, at the Nov. 7 Copley Board of Trustees meeting, said more than 69 percent of voters approved the levy.
“We deeply appreciate the support of the Copley community, and it’s a pleasure to serve this community,” Mier said on behalf of himself and all of the officers and dispatchers. “It’s really a group effort throughout the year as we work with the community very closely … and I think it paid off.”
Trustees also approved the sale of obsolete vehicles that are expected to net the township more than $16,000. The 2001 Ford/Braun ambulance will be auctioned on www.gov deals.com and is expected to fetch around $10,000, said Fire Chief Michael Benson. Trustees approved using www.ebay.com to auction three black and white police cruisers that could net $2,000 to $3,500 each, said Mier.
In a last-ditch effort to collect insurance funds paid to people who received emergency medical services (EMS) from the township fire department, trustees authorized the township attorney to send letters requesting payment. LifeForce Management, which attempts to recoup EMS fees from nonresidents, requested almost $19,000 in uncollectible EMS billings from the past six months be written off. Trustees said letters from the township attorney prompted some payments.
Copley Police Officer Ben Campbell once again has been honored for his actions during the August 2011 mass shooting in the township. Mier said Campbell has been awarded the Ohio Attorney General’s 2012 Law Enforcement Valor Award for his efforts to stop the shooter. Campbell was the only officer to receive the valor award this year, Mier said.
In other business, the board:
• granted a 12-month leave of absence to firefighter/paramedic Matt Null, effective Nov. 1;
• approved the resignation of contractual firefighter/paramedic Cynthia Norris, who is retiring after 20 years;
• approved entering an agreement with Barberton and Norton to create the Southwest Summit Council of Governments to oversee creation and management of the joint dispatch project;
• approved $15,000 to complete outside work related to the joint dispatch center project before cold weather. A portion of the total will be reimbursed by Barberton and Norton;
• approved selling four portable radios to The University of Akron for $650 each. The radios no longer work with the township radio system;
• approved a $20,136 purchase order to Taser International for new tasers and supplies;
• approved payment of $2,691 to Brite Computers for two police department computers and related accessories; and
• approved a blanket certificate for $7,688 to APG Office Furnishings for office furniture for the reception area remodeling project at the township hall. The furniture is part of the overall project cost approved earlier.
The next Copley Board of Trustees meeting will take place Nov. 15 at 6 p.m. in the Copley Township offices, 1540 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road. The board has canceled its Nov. 28 meeting. There is no meeting scheduled for Nov. 21.
More Community News
- State Route 18 projects to begin in summer
- Copley’s Winterfest puts fun on ice
- APS exploring funds for waiting building projects
- Richfield Council delays water tower vote
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council committee chairs questioned
- Akron City Council evaluates capital budget
- Fairlawn mayor calls city’s financial condition ‘sound’
- Norton looking to sink sewer costs
- Falls Council reappoints member to library board
- Bath trustees approve sale of fire department vehicle
- Peninsula Council on third try makes quorum for meeting
- Copley exploring contract with single trash hauler
- Richfield trustees approve fire/EMS contract
- Granger trustees hear presentation on fire prevention
Calendar of Events
- Balsamic Vinegar of Modena: A Fruity Tasting Experience - 1/29/2015
- Akron Metro Parks Hiking Club hikes - 1/29/2015
- Baby Time: for ages 6-24 months - 1/29/2015
- Adults Beginning Drawing - 1/29/2015
- Ballroom Dance Lessons - 1/29/2015