Prosecutor announces 2013 Safety Kids Calendar winners
|Nine St. Hilary School students were selected as winners in Summit County Prosecutor Sherri Bevan Walsh’s 2013 Safety Kids Calendar contest. Shown from left are: (front row) Rachel Reese, Amy Dudek, Mary Claire Reagan, Stephanie Alekna and Claire Stock; and (back row) Sierra Shannon, Nina Wolf, Elizabeth Kalal and Shane Baumer.|
|Photo courtesy of St. Hilary School|
Of the 1,170 posters submitted, Spring Hill Junior High School student Jenna Ford’s entry was chosen as the grand-prize winner. Ford’s poster, which focuses on domestic violence, will be on the cover of the 2013 Safety Kids calendar. Spring Hill is located in Springfield Township.
Walsh and emcee Christi Nichols, from WONE-FM, presented the 48 winners with congratulatory certificates and gift cards in front of an audience of family, friends, teachers and contest judges. The evening started with the presentation of the flag by the Summit County Sheriff’s Department Honor Guard and an a cappella rendition of the national anthem by Miller South School for the Visual and Performing Arts students Sarah George, Torrin Todd and August Slawienski.
“I am always impressed by the creativity, enthusiasm and hard work exhibited by these students,” Walsh said. “I’d like to thank all of the students who submitted a poster, as well as our judges, who had an extremely difficult task of selecting winners. I’d also like to thank Sarah George, Torrin Todd and August Slawienski for their beautiful singing and the Sheriff’s Honor Guard for their flag presentation.”
Each of the first-place posters will be featured in the 2013 Safety Kids Calendar.
Winners from schools covered by the West Side Leader include:
• Rule 1: Trust yourself! Don’t give in to peer pressure.
√ Third Place: Mary Claire Reagan, eighth grade, St. Hilary School
√ Honorable Mention: Claire Stock, eighth grade, St. Hilary
• Rule 2: Don’t do drugs!
√ Third Place: Kathryn Coughlin, sixth grade, Our Lady of the Elms
• Rule 3: Don’t use alcohol!
√ Second Place: Cameron Squire, eighth grade, St. Joseph School
• Rule 4: Never play with guns!
√ Honorable Mention: Shane Baumer, sixth grade, St. Hilary
• Rule 5: Don’t smoke!
√ Third Place: Stephanie Alekna, seventh grade, St. Hilary
√ Honorable Mention: Sierra Shannon, seventh grade, St. Hilary
• Rule 6: Never give out personal information in chat rooms.
√ First Place: Anthony Conti, seventh grade, St. Joseph
√ Third Place: Tiarra Lucas, eighth grade, Revere Middle School
• Rule 7: Don’t talk to or go with anyone you don’t know.
√ First Place: Amy Dudek, sixth grade, St. Hilary
• Rule 8: Say NO to unwanted touch!
√ Second Place: Kelly Schikowski, seventh grade, Revere Middle
• Rule 9: Never tell anyone you are home alone.
√ First Place: Elizabeth Kalal, seventh grade, St. Hilary
√ Honorable Mention: Nina Wolf, sixth grade, St. Hilary
• Rule 10: Say NO to gangs!
√ Third Place: Leah Espinal, seventh grade, Revere Middle
√ Honorable Mention: Rachel Reese, sixth grade, St. Hilary.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014