Boston OKs contract for snow removal on former township road
The Cuyahoga Valley National Park will be footing the bill this winter for snow removal and ice control on Stanford Road.
Trustee Chair Amy Anderson said at the Boston Township Board of Trustees’ Nov. 14 meeting she had negotiated an agreement with officials of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP) for snow removal and ice control on Stanford Road. Anderson said the CVNP will pay the township a total of $8,000 for a contract to remove snow and ice on a portion of Stanford Road vacated earlier this year by the township. The contract will run from November to May and will be billed monthly in equal installments, Anderson said.
Anderson said the township will clear the vacated portion of Stanford Road at the same time it plows township roads.
The township earlier this year won approval from Summit County Council to vacate a portion of Stanford Road along which no township residents live. Stanford Road dead-ends at the township line with Sagamore Hills. Property on either side of the vacated portion of Stanford Road belongs to the CVNP, trustees have said.
Anderson said the township also may be contracted by Sagamore Hills to clear Latta Lane, which runs off Stanford Road. Sagamore Hills closed the one end of Latta Lane several years ago, forcing one resident to use Stanford Road as the only access to his home, trustees have said.
In other news, Trustee Gerald Ritch said a proposed extension of a sewer line to the Akron-Cleveland Road business corridor has been estimated to cost $1.2 million. Ritch said the next step is to project assessments based on usage and to apply for Community Development Block Grants to fund the project.
Ritch also told trustees he has received promises from state Rep. Marilyn Slaby (R-District 41) and Summit County Councilman Nick Kostandaras (D-District 1) to help the township in its efforts to get assistance from the Ohio State Highway Patrol and the Ohio Turnpike Commission to curb noise from the Ohio Turnpike in sections of Boston Township.
The township also is seeking applicants to fill positions on the Zoning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA).
Trustee Randy Bergdorf said the township is seeking to fill one vacancy on the BZA and one alternate each for the Zoning Commission and BZA. Residents interested in filling the vacancies should contact Bergdorf.
In other business, trustees:
• noted the Zoning Commission has set a public hearing on formation of an Economic Activity District for Dec. 11 at 6:30 p.m. Should the Zoning Commission vote to recommend the matter to the trustees, the board will hold a public hearing Jan. 9;
• noted the Peninsula Chamber of Commerce received a letter from trustees requesting removal of a chamber sign at the corner of Riverview and state Route 303 by Nov. 30; and
• said distribution for the township’s annual Share a Christmas program is Dec. 22. Members of the Valley Fire District will make deliveries.
The next regular Boston Board of Trustees meeting will be Nov. 28 at 6:30 p.m. in the administrative offices at Boston Township Hall, located at the corner of Main Street and Riverview Road in Peninsula.
More Community News
- Portage Crossing coming to life
- Glowing lights shine at Holiday Tree Festival
- Norton police chief sworn in
- Akron addressing daytime burglaries
- Wanted: Holiday volunteers
- Council supports grant application for Richfield site
- Skaters, hockey players to benefit from plow purchase
- Richfield reviewing proposed guidelines for historic district
- Richfield trustees review proposals for police, fire contracts
- Granger trustees agree Brenelle Lane should not be terminated
- Turkeys common in Metro Parks
- West Side News & Notes
- Residents want safer Myersville Road
- Coventry Fire helping those in need
- New Franklin officials address increasing revenue
- Council supports grant application for Coventry bog
- Akron Council committee supports Safe Routes to School plan
- ‘Light up a Life’ benefits Hospice of VNS
- Akron Children’s Pediatrics in Green moves
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- History Hike - 11/28/2014
- After Thanksgiving Hike - 11/28/2014
- Brent Kirby and His Luck with Rebecca Wohlever - 11/28/2014
- Akron Metro Parks Hiking Club - 11/28/2014
- A New Adventure - 11/29/2014