Boston OKs contract for snow removal on former township road
The Cuyahoga Valley National Park will be footing the bill this winter for snow removal and ice control on Stanford Road.
Trustee Chair Amy Anderson said at the Boston Township Board of Trustees’ Nov. 14 meeting she had negotiated an agreement with officials of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP) for snow removal and ice control on Stanford Road. Anderson said the CVNP will pay the township a total of $8,000 for a contract to remove snow and ice on a portion of Stanford Road vacated earlier this year by the township. The contract will run from November to May and will be billed monthly in equal installments, Anderson said.
Anderson said the township will clear the vacated portion of Stanford Road at the same time it plows township roads.
The township earlier this year won approval from Summit County Council to vacate a portion of Stanford Road along which no township residents live. Stanford Road dead-ends at the township line with Sagamore Hills. Property on either side of the vacated portion of Stanford Road belongs to the CVNP, trustees have said.
Anderson said the township also may be contracted by Sagamore Hills to clear Latta Lane, which runs off Stanford Road. Sagamore Hills closed the one end of Latta Lane several years ago, forcing one resident to use Stanford Road as the only access to his home, trustees have said.
In other news, Trustee Gerald Ritch said a proposed extension of a sewer line to the Akron-Cleveland Road business corridor has been estimated to cost $1.2 million. Ritch said the next step is to project assessments based on usage and to apply for Community Development Block Grants to fund the project.
Ritch also told trustees he has received promises from state Rep. Marilyn Slaby (R-District 41) and Summit County Councilman Nick Kostandaras (D-District 1) to help the township in its efforts to get assistance from the Ohio State Highway Patrol and the Ohio Turnpike Commission to curb noise from the Ohio Turnpike in sections of Boston Township.
The township also is seeking applicants to fill positions on the Zoning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA).
Trustee Randy Bergdorf said the township is seeking to fill one vacancy on the BZA and one alternate each for the Zoning Commission and BZA. Residents interested in filling the vacancies should contact Bergdorf.
In other business, trustees:
• noted the Zoning Commission has set a public hearing on formation of an Economic Activity District for Dec. 11 at 6:30 p.m. Should the Zoning Commission vote to recommend the matter to the trustees, the board will hold a public hearing Jan. 9;
• noted the Peninsula Chamber of Commerce received a letter from trustees requesting removal of a chamber sign at the corner of Riverview and state Route 303 by Nov. 30; and
• said distribution for the township’s annual Share a Christmas program is Dec. 22. Members of the Valley Fire District will make deliveries.
The next regular Boston Board of Trustees meeting will be Nov. 28 at 6:30 p.m. in the administrative offices at Boston Township Hall, located at the corner of Main Street and Riverview Road in Peninsula.
More Community News
- State Route 18 projects to begin in summer
- Copley’s Winterfest puts fun on ice
- APS exploring funds for waiting building projects
- Richfield Council delays water tower vote
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council committee chairs questioned
- Akron City Council evaluates capital budget
- Fairlawn mayor calls city’s financial condition ‘sound’
- Norton looking to sink sewer costs
- Falls Council reappoints member to library board
- Bath trustees approve sale of fire department vehicle
- Peninsula Council on third try makes quorum for meeting
- Copley exploring contract with single trash hauler
- Richfield trustees approve fire/EMS contract
- Granger trustees hear presentation on fire prevention
Calendar of Events
- Balsamic Vinegar of Modena: A Fruity Tasting Experience - 1/29/2015
- Akron Metro Parks Hiking Club hikes - 1/29/2015
- Baby Time: for ages 6-24 months - 1/29/2015
- Adults Beginning Drawing - 1/29/2015
- Ballroom Dance Lessons - 1/29/2015