‘Pay It Forward’ competition awards $2,000 to CG&FS
|Photo courtesy of Child Guidance & Family Solutions|
The School of Law and College of Business Administration (CBA) have created a “Pay It Forward” service-learning/philanthropy project as part of the Legal Minefields of Entrepreneurism joint law/MBA class. The students had $2,000 to award to a local nonprofit organization, funded by the United Way of Summit County.
Six student groups made presentations (advocating for the nonprofit they represented) Oct. 25. The contest was judged by Ninth District Court of Appeals Judge Eve Belfance, attorney Paul Perantinides and philanthropist Roger Read. The winning team was led by School of Law students Lewis Bennett, Christian Gruner-Vazquez and Kenneth Bailey and CBA student Kelly Loebick-Frascella.
CG&FS staff, led by Elena Aslanides, M.Ed, PCC-S, early childhood CPST supervisor and respite coordinator, helped the team put together a presentation on CG&FS’s sandtray therapy. The students spent a day at CG&FS learning about the trauma program and sandtray therapy. This therapy features large trays filled with sand in which children create stories using figurines and miniature objects to demonstrate how they view their world. The therapy can be used with very young children and also with older individuals.
Shown above, from left, are Aslanides, Bailey, Loebick-Frascella, Bennett and Gruner-Vazquez.
About receiving the $2,000 grant, Aslanides said: “The award speaks to all the great work we do at CG&FS. We are thankful to have received this funding.”
More Community News
- City plans Rolling Acres demolition
- Hardesty Park event attracts art fans
- Area shines bright during RNC week
- Copley Heritage Days featuring food, music, fun
- Copley students focus on helping North Korean refugees
- West Side News & Notes
- Falls’ leadership responds to police station incident
- Richfield police thankful for support from residents
- Richfield trustees discuss noxious weed enforcement
- Copley trustees weigh police, fire station plans
- Granger fire chief updates trustees on department issues
Calendar of Events
- Nashville Crush with Joshua Surgeon & The Dusty Bottoms - 7/29/2016
- Kathleen Worgul, Carol Klingel, Marjorie Dettling - 7/29/2016
- Three Points of View: Art by Kathleen Worgul, Carol Klingel, Marjorie Dettling - 7/29/2016
- Almost Queen (Queen tribute) with Chris Allen & The Guilty Hearts - 7/29/2016
- Chardon Polka Band - 7/29/2016