‘Pay It Forward’ competition awards $2,000 to CG&FS
|Photo courtesy of Child Guidance & Family Solutions|
The School of Law and College of Business Administration (CBA) have created a “Pay It Forward” service-learning/philanthropy project as part of the Legal Minefields of Entrepreneurism joint law/MBA class. The students had $2,000 to award to a local nonprofit organization, funded by the United Way of Summit County.
Six student groups made presentations (advocating for the nonprofit they represented) Oct. 25. The contest was judged by Ninth District Court of Appeals Judge Eve Belfance, attorney Paul Perantinides and philanthropist Roger Read. The winning team was led by School of Law students Lewis Bennett, Christian Gruner-Vazquez and Kenneth Bailey and CBA student Kelly Loebick-Frascella.
CG&FS staff, led by Elena Aslanides, M.Ed, PCC-S, early childhood CPST supervisor and respite coordinator, helped the team put together a presentation on CG&FS’s sandtray therapy. The students spent a day at CG&FS learning about the trauma program and sandtray therapy. This therapy features large trays filled with sand in which children create stories using figurines and miniature objects to demonstrate how they view their world. The therapy can be used with very young children and also with older individuals.
Shown above, from left, are Aslanides, Bailey, Loebick-Frascella, Bennett and Gruner-Vazquez.
About receiving the $2,000 grant, Aslanides said: “The award speaks to all the great work we do at CG&FS. We are thankful to have received this funding.”
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Summertime Card Party - 7/25/2014
- Voices in the Valley: Jim Gill - 7/25/2014
- Wine Tasting and Silent Auction - 7/25/2014
- Tony Rio - 7/25/2014
- A New Adventure - 7/26/2014