‘Pay It Forward’ competition awards $2,000 to CG&FS
|Photo courtesy of Child Guidance & Family Solutions|
The School of Law and College of Business Administration (CBA) have created a “Pay It Forward” service-learning/philanthropy project as part of the Legal Minefields of Entrepreneurism joint law/MBA class. The students had $2,000 to award to a local nonprofit organization, funded by the United Way of Summit County.
Six student groups made presentations (advocating for the nonprofit they represented) Oct. 25. The contest was judged by Ninth District Court of Appeals Judge Eve Belfance, attorney Paul Perantinides and philanthropist Roger Read. The winning team was led by School of Law students Lewis Bennett, Christian Gruner-Vazquez and Kenneth Bailey and CBA student Kelly Loebick-Frascella.
CG&FS staff, led by Elena Aslanides, M.Ed, PCC-S, early childhood CPST supervisor and respite coordinator, helped the team put together a presentation on CG&FS’s sandtray therapy. The students spent a day at CG&FS learning about the trauma program and sandtray therapy. This therapy features large trays filled with sand in which children create stories using figurines and miniature objects to demonstrate how they view their world. The therapy can be used with very young children and also with older individuals.
Shown above, from left, are Aslanides, Bailey, Loebick-Frascella, Bennett and Gruner-Vazquez.
About receiving the $2,000 grant, Aslanides said: “The award speaks to all the great work we do at CG&FS. We are thankful to have received this funding.”
More Community News
- First major Akron CSO project underway
- Culture celebrated at Global Village Festival
- Some Council members awaiting CSO update
- Community Health Center celebrating 40 years
- St. Sebastian Parish School marking 85th anniversary
- County’s Personnel Committee ironing out employee benefits
- Bath purchasing larger recycling carts
- Boston trustees discuss Halloween activities
- Sharon trustees learn of successful charity garage sale
- Library celebrates milestones with party
- River cleanup volunteers needed
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- The Help - 9/19/2014
- Medina County Story Fest - 9/20/2014
- A Vision to Share, a Story to Tell - 9/20/2014
- “Deadly Murder” - 9/20/2014
- Using Ancestry in Your Genealogy Research - 9/20/2014