Local remembrance ceremony helps bereaved honor children
|The Christmas Box Angel of Hope Children’s Memorial, shown at right, is the site of an annual holiday candle lighting ceremony for families to remember children who have died.|
|Photo courtesy of Sarah Ruble|
The annual holiday event will take place this year Dec. 9 at 5 p.m. at the memorial in Silver Springs Cemetery, 5080 Stow Road.
The candle lighting ceremony is held in conjunction with the Worldwide Candle Lighting originated by the Compassionate Friends, a national organization that helps bereaved parents, according to local organizer Sarah Ruble. The day will be marked internationally, starting in New Zealand, with candles lit for an hour in each time zone for a full 24-hour wave of light.
Ruble said last year there were 550 candle lighting services in the United States.
She added the Stow statue is one of more than 100 Christmas Box Angel statues in the country. The statue was introduced in the best-selling book “The Christmas Box,” by Richard Paul Evans.
Candles will be provided at the ceremony. Families are encouraged to bring flowers in memory of their children to place at the base of the statue.
The ceremony is outside, so those who attend are encouraged to dress warmly.
To raise funds for the site and event, Angel of Hope ornaments are available for $15. Memorial bricks, which are placed at the site in spring and fall, are also available for $100. For both items, more information is available at www.christmasboxangelof hopestowohio.com.
For additional information, call Ruble at 330-689-1089 or go to the website.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Godzilla” - 10/23/2014
- Campfire: Northern Cheyenne Indians - 10/23/2014
- GriefCare Place - 10/23/2014
- The Tubes - 10/24/2014
- Tales for Tots - 10/24/2014