Springfield trustees mourn passing of past police chief
SPRINGFIELD — Springfield officials observed a moment of silence in memory of the death of a former police chief at the start of the Nov. 29 Board of Trustees meeting.
Trustee Deborah Davis announced James Bader, who was police chief for the township from 1980 to 1986, died Nov. 11.
According to his obituary, Bader, 75, served in the U.S. Navy on the USS Ticonderoga. He was in law enforcement for 27 years, serving as a deputy sheriff and an officer for the Springfield Police Department before retiring from that department as police chief. He was a member of the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 157. Bader is survived by his wife of 49 years, Joan; daughter, Jill (Terry) Sluss; and brothers, Harry (Marilyn) and Larry (Marsha) Bader.
Services were held at Millheim Baptist Church, of which he was a longtime member, and he was buried Nov. 15 at Northlawn Memorial Gardens. Memorial donations in his name were being accepted for the church, located at 2661 Hayne Road.
A photo of Bader in uniform is hanging in the lobby of Town Hall, along with photos of the other seven police chiefs who have served the township, on an honor wall that was dedicated in January. Of the seven police chiefs, five are still living. The township’s first two, C.B. Wilkinson (1960-65) and Jack Rife (1965-79), also are deceased.
In other business, trustees approved:
• a now and then purchase order for $16,023 payable to the Springfield Cable Board for its 2 percent share of the third quarter franchise fee received from Time Warner Cable;
• the purchase of firefighter turnout gear at cost of $1,875;
• an updated job description for road superintendent in the employee policy manual; and
• a transfer of $8,000 from the General Fund — Other, to General Fund — Parks — Salaries, for budget stabilization through December.
Also, trustees announced they are seeking a resident to serve on the Springfield Lakemore Cable Board that oversees Time Warner Cable access Channel 15. This volunteer, unpaid position requires attendance at quarterly board meetings. Anyone interested in the position should send a résumé and letter of interest to Office Manager Amie Biltz at firstname.lastname@example.org or at Springfield Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road, Akron, OH 44312.
Trustees also announced the Springfield Tree Lighting ceremony will take place today, Dec. 7, at 7 p.m. at the Vincent J. Mealy Memorial Gazebo, located by Springfield Lake on Canfield Road. Santa will arrive to turn on the lights and will be available for visits and photos with children. Free coffee and hot chocolate will be provided by Akron Payroll and Tax, and free hot dogs will be courtesy of Paul Doerr Jr.
The next regular trustees’ meeting will be Dec. 13 at 7 p.m. at Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road.
More Community News
- Akron Council raises campaign limits
- Animals in need find home at Forever Amber Acres
- Mustard Seed eyes May opening in Highland Square
- Reentry Network offers safety net for parolees
- West Side News & Notes
- Celebrate with religious sights, sounds
- Reentry Network announces 2015 programs
- Cub Scouts participate in ‘Operation Smile’
- Fairlawn officials remember former Council member
- OWRC installs 2015 officers
- Bath trustees reject fact-finder’s report
- Boston officials discuss new tax collection agency
- Sharon trustees revisit resurfacing agreement
- Hattie Larlham gets early Christmas gift
- Norton officers take part in Shop with a Cop
- Norton food drive to help families
- Lakemore Council bids farewell to solicitor
- Santas spreading holiday cheer with Kiwanis events
- Coventry still mulling Sheriff’s Office contract
- Coventry superintendent tackling negativity
- Green students give back to community
- Springfield trustees approve zoning change
- Akron raises campaign limits, OKs body camera trial
- Manchester senior earns Eagle Scout rank
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Crooked River Walk - 12/21/2014
- “A Christmas Carol” - 12/21/2014
- Winter White Out - 12/21/2014
- Puppet Show: Holiday Happenings - 12/21/2014
- Johnny and the Apple Stompers and Ed Caner - 12/21/2014