Springfield trustees mourn passing of past police chief
SPRINGFIELD — Springfield officials observed a moment of silence in memory of the death of a former police chief at the start of the Nov. 29 Board of Trustees meeting.
Trustee Deborah Davis announced James Bader, who was police chief for the township from 1980 to 1986, died Nov. 11.
According to his obituary, Bader, 75, served in the U.S. Navy on the USS Ticonderoga. He was in law enforcement for 27 years, serving as a deputy sheriff and an officer for the Springfield Police Department before retiring from that department as police chief. He was a member of the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 157. Bader is survived by his wife of 49 years, Joan; daughter, Jill (Terry) Sluss; and brothers, Harry (Marilyn) and Larry (Marsha) Bader.
Services were held at Millheim Baptist Church, of which he was a longtime member, and he was buried Nov. 15 at Northlawn Memorial Gardens. Memorial donations in his name were being accepted for the church, located at 2661 Hayne Road.
A photo of Bader in uniform is hanging in the lobby of Town Hall, along with photos of the other seven police chiefs who have served the township, on an honor wall that was dedicated in January. Of the seven police chiefs, five are still living. The township’s first two, C.B. Wilkinson (1960-65) and Jack Rife (1965-79), also are deceased.
In other business, trustees approved:
• a now and then purchase order for $16,023 payable to the Springfield Cable Board for its 2 percent share of the third quarter franchise fee received from Time Warner Cable;
• the purchase of firefighter turnout gear at cost of $1,875;
• an updated job description for road superintendent in the employee policy manual; and
• a transfer of $8,000 from the General Fund — Other, to General Fund — Parks — Salaries, for budget stabilization through December.
Also, trustees announced they are seeking a resident to serve on the Springfield Lakemore Cable Board that oversees Time Warner Cable access Channel 15. This volunteer, unpaid position requires attendance at quarterly board meetings. Anyone interested in the position should send a résumé and letter of interest to Office Manager Amie Biltz at firstname.lastname@example.org or at Springfield Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road, Akron, OH 44312.
Trustees also announced the Springfield Tree Lighting ceremony will take place today, Dec. 7, at 7 p.m. at the Vincent J. Mealy Memorial Gazebo, located by Springfield Lake on Canfield Road. Santa will arrive to turn on the lights and will be available for visits and photos with children. Free coffee and hot chocolate will be provided by Akron Payroll and Tax, and free hot dogs will be courtesy of Paul Doerr Jr.
The next regular trustees’ meeting will be Dec. 13 at 7 p.m. at Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road.
More Community News
- Bath parks levy renewal on May ballot
- Area communities offering Safety Town
- Woodridge studying future of school buildings
- Council OKs new Dollar General in Merriman Valley
- Youth employment program getting on its way
- Falls Council OKs purchase for Electrical Department
- Norton Council accepts Moving Ohio Forward funds
- Boston trustees take step to clear property
- Sharon trustees discuss recent township break-ins
- Granger trustees approve tax abatement guidelines
- KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
- LaRose honors local youth
- YMCAs presenting Healthy Kids Day
- Montrose transportation meeting set for May 15
- United Way announces education investments, new funding strategy
- West Side News & Notes
- Green district seeking levy renewal
- Children celebrate Easter early
- Board strikes deal to keep fitness center running
- Springfield officer honored for service
- Grant possibility could increase police presence in Coventry
- Youth employment program on its way
- Rebuilding Together to improve nine area homes
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Easter Family Fun Day - 4/19/2014
- Sensory Story Time - 4/19/2014
- Terrarium Workshop - 4/19/2014
- Hop, Hop, Hop! - 4/19/2014
- “Snow White and the Magic Mirror: A Grimm Tale” - 4/19/2014