Springfield trustees mourn passing of past police chief
SPRINGFIELD — Springfield officials observed a moment of silence in memory of the death of a former police chief at the start of the Nov. 29 Board of Trustees meeting.
Trustee Deborah Davis announced James Bader, who was police chief for the township from 1980 to 1986, died Nov. 11.
According to his obituary, Bader, 75, served in the U.S. Navy on the USS Ticonderoga. He was in law enforcement for 27 years, serving as a deputy sheriff and an officer for the Springfield Police Department before retiring from that department as police chief. He was a member of the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 157. Bader is survived by his wife of 49 years, Joan; daughter, Jill (Terry) Sluss; and brothers, Harry (Marilyn) and Larry (Marsha) Bader.
Services were held at Millheim Baptist Church, of which he was a longtime member, and he was buried Nov. 15 at Northlawn Memorial Gardens. Memorial donations in his name were being accepted for the church, located at 2661 Hayne Road.
A photo of Bader in uniform is hanging in the lobby of Town Hall, along with photos of the other seven police chiefs who have served the township, on an honor wall that was dedicated in January. Of the seven police chiefs, five are still living. The township’s first two, C.B. Wilkinson (1960-65) and Jack Rife (1965-79), also are deceased.
In other business, trustees approved:
• a now and then purchase order for $16,023 payable to the Springfield Cable Board for its 2 percent share of the third quarter franchise fee received from Time Warner Cable;
• the purchase of firefighter turnout gear at cost of $1,875;
• an updated job description for road superintendent in the employee policy manual; and
• a transfer of $8,000 from the General Fund — Other, to General Fund — Parks — Salaries, for budget stabilization through December.
Also, trustees announced they are seeking a resident to serve on the Springfield Lakemore Cable Board that oversees Time Warner Cable access Channel 15. This volunteer, unpaid position requires attendance at quarterly board meetings. Anyone interested in the position should send a résumé and letter of interest to Office Manager Amie Biltz at email@example.com or at Springfield Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road, Akron, OH 44312.
Trustees also announced the Springfield Tree Lighting ceremony will take place today, Dec. 7, at 7 p.m. at the Vincent J. Mealy Memorial Gazebo, located by Springfield Lake on Canfield Road. Santa will arrive to turn on the lights and will be available for visits and photos with children. Free coffee and hot chocolate will be provided by Akron Payroll and Tax, and free hot dogs will be courtesy of Paul Doerr Jr.
The next regular trustees’ meeting will be Dec. 13 at 7 p.m. at Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road.
More Community News
- Norton voters defeat sewer issue
- Copley lighting warms up cold night
- APS Board approves new teacher contract
- Firestone/Litchfield CLC progressing
- Good Neighbors helps those in need
- County Council approves 2014 budget
- Council renews Downtown Akron plan
- LA Fitness in plans for Portage Crossing
- Norton approves budget change for new dispatch center
- Copley pursuing new fire alerting system
- Peninsula Council discusses wastewater issues
- Richfield Village Council honors Revere boys soccer team
- Richfield trustees discuss zoning violations
- Granger trustees renew contract with Medina Sheriff’s Office
- Fairlawn VFW honors local generals at banquet
- Leadership Akron offering grant money for intergenerational activities
- Winter Solstice event set at Crown Point
- West Side News & Notes
- Council OKs South Arlington Road rezoning
- Springfield ushers in holiday season
- New chief outlines ambitions for Green Fire
- South Side News & Notes
- Springfield trustees approve demolition of one home
- New Franklin demolishes vacant home
- County Council approves 2014 budget
- Humston, Gordon are engaged
- Birth Announcement
Calendar of Events
- Boy=Girl - 12/13/2013
- Ohio City Singers - 12/13/2013
- Christmas Tree Lighting - 12/13/2013
- Frankie Avalon - 12/14/2013
- The VooDoo Two - 12/14/2013