Springfield trustees mourn passing of past police chief
SPRINGFIELD — Springfield officials observed a moment of silence in memory of the death of a former police chief at the start of the Nov. 29 Board of Trustees meeting.
Trustee Deborah Davis announced James Bader, who was police chief for the township from 1980 to 1986, died Nov. 11.
According to his obituary, Bader, 75, served in the U.S. Navy on the USS Ticonderoga. He was in law enforcement for 27 years, serving as a deputy sheriff and an officer for the Springfield Police Department before retiring from that department as police chief. He was a member of the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 157. Bader is survived by his wife of 49 years, Joan; daughter, Jill (Terry) Sluss; and brothers, Harry (Marilyn) and Larry (Marsha) Bader.
Services were held at Millheim Baptist Church, of which he was a longtime member, and he was buried Nov. 15 at Northlawn Memorial Gardens. Memorial donations in his name were being accepted for the church, located at 2661 Hayne Road.
A photo of Bader in uniform is hanging in the lobby of Town Hall, along with photos of the other seven police chiefs who have served the township, on an honor wall that was dedicated in January. Of the seven police chiefs, five are still living. The township’s first two, C.B. Wilkinson (1960-65) and Jack Rife (1965-79), also are deceased.
In other business, trustees approved:
• a now and then purchase order for $16,023 payable to the Springfield Cable Board for its 2 percent share of the third quarter franchise fee received from Time Warner Cable;
• the purchase of firefighter turnout gear at cost of $1,875;
• an updated job description for road superintendent in the employee policy manual; and
• a transfer of $8,000 from the General Fund — Other, to General Fund — Parks — Salaries, for budget stabilization through December.
Also, trustees announced they are seeking a resident to serve on the Springfield Lakemore Cable Board that oversees Time Warner Cable access Channel 15. This volunteer, unpaid position requires attendance at quarterly board meetings. Anyone interested in the position should send a résumé and letter of interest to Office Manager Amie Biltz at firstname.lastname@example.org or at Springfield Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road, Akron, OH 44312.
Trustees also announced the Springfield Tree Lighting ceremony will take place today, Dec. 7, at 7 p.m. at the Vincent J. Mealy Memorial Gazebo, located by Springfield Lake on Canfield Road. Santa will arrive to turn on the lights and will be available for visits and photos with children. Free coffee and hot chocolate will be provided by Akron Payroll and Tax, and free hot dogs will be courtesy of Paul Doerr Jr.
The next regular trustees’ meeting will be Dec. 13 at 7 p.m. at Town Hall, 2459 Canfield Road.
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs retiree benefit changes
- Treats in store at Akron Zoo
- County seeing opiate epidemic effects on finances
- APS board hears financial forecast
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office dedicates K-9 memorial
- ‘King of the Falls’ receives recognition at Broad Boulevard
- Falls leaf program start delayed to Oct. 31
- Falls seeking Youth Advisory Council members
- Norton Council OKs energy efficiency improvements
- Montrose Avenue zoning request in Bath withdrawn
- Norton Council clerk collecting pajama donations
- Boy Scout builds birdhouses for area shelters
- Copley trustees purchase third parcel for ‘campus’
- KAB recognizes board member, volunteer
- Richfield Council considering expanding cemeteries
- Granger board hears complaints about after-hours park use
- Lead poisoning prevention push underway
- SCPH gets $2.9 million for Lead Hazard Control program
- County Adopt-A-Thon rehomes pets
- Green honors fire captain for state award
- Springfield district hosts Halloween event
- Springfield sewer project starting soon
- Financial Planning Commission gets committee reports
- Green High School auditorium receiving sound upgrade
- South Side News & Notes
- New Franklin Council OKs raise for finance director
Calendar of Events
- Art of Vijay Rastogi - 10/28/2016
- Twilight Hike and Campfire - 10/28/2016
- Tales for Tots: ages 3-6 - 10/28/2016
- Elvis Costello and the Imposters - 10/28/2016
- Ballroom Nights - 10/28/2016