Cuyahoga Falls opposes Akron plan to remove traffic signals
At the Dec. 10 Cuyahoga Falls City Council meeting, Council introduced legislation urging the city of Akron to refrain from removing the existing traffic signals on Bath Road at Riverview Road and on Bath Road at Akron-Peninsula Road, which are intersections directly adjacent to residential areas of Cuyahoga Falls.
According to the proposed resolution, Bath, Riverview and Akron-Peninsula roads are regional connector roadways that serve motorists from many Summit County communities, including residents of Akron and Cuyahoga Falls.
Falls officials explained Akron recently began an evaluation of all of its traffic signals, including those located at Bath and Riverview roads and Bath and Akron-Peninsula roads, and determined the traffic volumes at the two intersections are lower than normal for traffic signalization.
According to Falls officials, Akron officials did not engage the affected residents of Akron or Cuyahoga Falls in any dialog concerning the need for the traffic signals or the potential consequences of removing the traffic signals.
“Failure to engage residents in dialog has resulted in confusion and concern about potential increased safety risks for motorists encountering these intersections,” the proposed resolution stated.
Also during the meeting, Council introduced legislation that would:
• amend sections of the codified ordinances relating to the staffing of the Cuyahoga Falls Police Department and the Fire Department;
• eliminate the prohibition of right turns on State Road southbound at North Haven Boulevard and the prohibition of left turns on State Road northbound at North Haven Boulevard;
• approve a minor plat application for a minor subdivision of land at 2079 Sourek Trail in an R-1 (Residential) district; and
• authorize a contract with Greenstar Mid-America LLC for the transfer, processing and sale of recyclable materials acquired by the city through the curbside recycling program for a period not to exceed five years.
Council also approved a resolution making certain findings relative to the transfer of a Type D-1 liquor permit to Riser Foods Co., doing business as Giant Eagle, located at 230 Howe Ave.
Council additionally acknowledged 20 members of the Cuyahoga Falls Running Black Tigers, a youth cross country team. The team recently competed in the Youth Cross Country Championship in Indiana, under the direction of coach John Martell.
At the close of the meeting, Council went into executive session to discuss pending court action involving the city.
Following the regular meeting, a special Finance Committee meeting was held to continue discussions concerning the annual appropriations for 2013. Time was spent reviewing various spreadsheets reflecting last year’s totals for various departments, programs and events. A discussion specifically took place regarding how to offset costs for summer events on the riverfront.
Councilwoman Diana Colavecchio (D-Ward 5) explained an additional Finance Committee meeting to review the proposed budget for next year will take place Dec. 17 at 6:30 p.m. at the Cuyahoga Falls Natatorium, 2345 Fourth St. All new legislation also will be discussed that night as well.
Colavecchio said another Finance Committee meeting to further review the appropriations tentatively will take place Dec. 27 at 6:30 p.m. Legislation also may be voted on that night during the meeting, according to city officials.
More Community News
- Norton voters defeat sewer issue
- Copley lighting warms up cold night
- APS Board approves new teacher contract
- Firestone/Litchfield CLC progressing
- Good Neighbors helps those in need
- County Council approves 2014 budget
- Council renews Downtown Akron plan
- LA Fitness in plans for Portage Crossing
- Norton approves budget change for new dispatch center
- Copley pursuing new fire alerting system
- Peninsula Council discusses wastewater issues
- Richfield Village Council honors Revere boys soccer team
- Richfield trustees discuss zoning violations
- Granger trustees renew contract with Medina Sheriff’s Office
- Fairlawn VFW honors local generals at banquet
- Leadership Akron offering grant money for intergenerational activities
- Winter Solstice event set at Crown Point
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Romp with Rudolph - 12/12/2013
- “Grown Ups 2” - 12/12/2013
- Boy=Girl - 12/13/2013
- Ohio City Singers - 12/13/2013
- Christmas Tree Lighting - 12/13/2013