Check for fire truck presented to Copley trustees
Copley Township trustees accepted a check for $16,000 from the Copley Fire and Rescue Association — the first of five installments toward the purchase of a new fire engine.
At the Dec. 5 meeting, trustees accepted the contribution as part of a contract that outlines the terms of the $80,000 contribution. The contract was offered and the check presented by Copley Fire and Rescue Association President John Paul Paxton and Treasurer Bryan Ezzie.
The $80,000 donation meant the difference between a basic fire truck and “the better truck” with features firefighters thought would enhance safety or efficiency, said Copley Fire Chief Michael Benson.
Paxton described the enhanced model as a “fire truck the township deserves.”
Trustee Dale Panovich asked Ezzie and Paxton to relay the township’s thanks to their association. “You’ve come forward and done such great things for the community. This helps to purchase the truck, but I know it helps to put the things you really want on the truck also,” she said.
The donation will be applied to the lease purchase of a $525,000 Pierce Dash rescue pumper. The fire engine will be purchased through a five-year lease-purchase agreement with equal annual payments. At the end of the five-year lease period, the township can exercise a $1 buy-out option to complete the purchase, according to documents provided by Finley Fire Equipment. Benson earlier said delivery of the new truck could be expected as early as February and as late as April.
Trustees also approved three-year contracts with two of its unions. Agreements with the Ohio Policemen’s Benevolent Association, representing part-time patrol officers and the Teamsters Local 348, representing service department employees, each are retroactive to Jan. 1, 2012, and will run through Dec. 31, 2014.
Neither group received wage increases in 2012, said Trustee Helen Humphrys. The contracts may be opened in 2014 for discussion of wages and health insurance contributions, she added.
In other business, the board:
• approved a second six-month leave of absence beginning retroactively from Oct. 5 for Thomas Burke, a contractual firefighter/paramedic;
• approved changing employment status of firefighter/paramedic Steve Blasdel from contractual part time to part time;
• approved a request from the fire department to sell for scrap miscellaneous metal equipment, such as couplings, signs and brass fittings;
• approved an auction on eBay of six 100-foot sections of 4-inch-diameter hose. Benson said the hose no longer is useable for firefighting but has other uses, such as boat bumpers;
• approved renewing Copley’s annual membership in the Coalition of Large Ohio Urban Townships at a cost of $200;
• renewed the township’s agreement for employee assistance with Ease at Work through Summit County at a cost of $17 per employee;
• approved a two-year, $2,400 contract with TNT Exterminating of Akron for pest control in township buildings; and
• approved a $24,000 purchase order to Montrose Ford for a 2013 Ford Escape for use in the zoning department. Trustees earlier authorized the purchase.
The trustees next plan to meet Dec. 19 at 6 p.m. in the Copley Township offices, 1540 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
More Community News
- Portage Crossing coming to life
- Glowing lights shine at Holiday Tree Festival
- Norton police chief sworn in
- Akron addressing daytime burglaries
- Wanted: Holiday volunteers
- Council supports grant application for Richfield site
- Skaters, hockey players to benefit from plow purchase
- Richfield reviewing proposed guidelines for historic district
- Richfield trustees review proposals for police, fire contracts
- Granger trustees agree Brenelle Lane should not be terminated
- Turkeys common in Metro Parks
- West Side News & Notes
- Residents want safer Myersville Road
- Coventry Fire helping those in need
- New Franklin officials address increasing revenue
- Council supports grant application for Coventry bog
- Akron Council committee supports Safe Routes to School plan
- ‘Light up a Life’ benefits Hospice of VNS
- Akron Children’s Pediatrics in Green moves
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Pre-Holiday Book Sale - 11/26/2014
- Nature Drawing for Adults - 11/26/2014
- Joseph Arthur - 11/26/2014
- Mo Mojo - 11/26/2014
- History Hike - 11/28/2014