Copley-Fairlawn Kiwanis hosting canned food drive
COPLEY — The Copley-Fairlawn Kiwanis Club is reaching out to the community for canned food donations to help fill Christmas food baskets for families in need.
Each year, the Kiwanis club assists families with baskets of food for the Christmas holiday. In past years, students in the Copley-Fairlawn City Schools district have collected more than enough canned goods to help fill those Christmas food baskets, according to club officials. The annual canned food drive at the schools usually results in some 10,000 cans of food, but this year, collections were less than anticipated, netting only about 5,000 cans, according to Kiwanis officials. Therefore, the club is asking for the community’s help.
“On Saturday, Dec. 15, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., we are asking all Copley and Fairlawn residents to help by bringing donations of canned goods to our semi-trailer located in the parking lot of the Copley Community Center on Sunset Drive,” said Ray Shelker, chairman of the annual food distribution program.
In addition to the canned goods, the club also will provide other donated and purchased items, such as pies and fresh fruits and vegetables.
“This has always been a real community effort, but this year we need to ask for additional help,” said Shelker. “We expect this year we may have up to some 150 families hoping for food baskets, so additional canned food donations would be a great help in providing food to needy families at the holiday season.”
More Community News
- Minus kitchen, shelter will feed residents
- Revere students schooled on financial literacy
- Travel expenses spur Akron City Council discussion
- Copley survey results to guide development
- West Side News & Notes
- Norton celebrates upgraded bond rating
- Four to seek vacant Norton City Council seat
- Sharon Post Office to host Passport Fair
- Council delays vote on repairs to downtown decks
- Peninsula Council honors resident
- Boston trustees discuss new speed limit law
- Council considers rezoning request on West Streetsboro Road
- Trustees OK agreement for Southern Road property
- Granger property owner addresses BZA ruling
- Police seeking help with burglaries
- Green Middle School assisting students in need
- Coventry district presents report on open enrollment
- Coventry closes door to new gaming establishments
- South Side News & Notes
- Even without kitchen, shelter will feed residents
Calendar of Events
- Verb Ballets: “Works Reimagined: Continuing the Legacy of Heinz Poll”; “Carnival of the Animals” - 2/19/2017
- Akron Baroque and Singers Companye - 2/19/2017
- Pinterest Projects: Succulents - 2/19/2017
- “Pete’s Dragon” - 2/20/2017
- Friends of the Maltz Museum’s Presidents’ Day Celebration - 2/20/2017