Copley-Fairlawn Kiwanis hosting canned food drive
COPLEY — The Copley-Fairlawn Kiwanis Club is reaching out to the community for canned food donations to help fill Christmas food baskets for families in need.
Each year, the Kiwanis club assists families with baskets of food for the Christmas holiday. In past years, students in the Copley-Fairlawn City Schools district have collected more than enough canned goods to help fill those Christmas food baskets, according to club officials. The annual canned food drive at the schools usually results in some 10,000 cans of food, but this year, collections were less than anticipated, netting only about 5,000 cans, according to Kiwanis officials. Therefore, the club is asking for the community’s help.
“On Saturday, Dec. 15, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., we are asking all Copley and Fairlawn residents to help by bringing donations of canned goods to our semi-trailer located in the parking lot of the Copley Community Center on Sunset Drive,” said Ray Shelker, chairman of the annual food distribution program.
In addition to the canned goods, the club also will provide other donated and purchased items, such as pies and fresh fruits and vegetables.
“This has always been a real community effort, but this year we need to ask for additional help,” said Shelker. “We expect this year we may have up to some 150 families hoping for food baskets, so additional canned food donations would be a great help in providing food to needy families at the holiday season.”
More Community News
- Health officials probe hospital TB exposure
- Richfield Village kicks off jubilee year
- Falls forms team to address opiate addiction
- Kurt continues as Clerk of Courts
- Early meetings don’t dissuade Copley Key Club members
- West Side News & Notes
- Boston trustees honor community members
- Impact Award winners honored
- Bath trustees request intersection study
- Shapiro takes oath of office
- Mature Services receives grant for program
- Lakemore requesting income tax increase
- Coventry moving ahead with police ballot issue
- Springfield trustees to place new parks levy on ballot
- South Side News & Notes
- Akron mayor wants Oriana House audit
- Green mayor to give State of City
Calendar of Events
- The Lincoln Inaugural Train - 1/23/2017
- “Reasons to Be Happy” - 1/24/2017
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 1/25/2017
- Tuesday Musical: Imani Winds - 1/25/2017
- Full Circle Storytelling - 1/25/2017