Copley-Fairlawn Kiwanis hosting canned food drive
COPLEY — The Copley-Fairlawn Kiwanis Club is reaching out to the community for canned food donations to help fill Christmas food baskets for families in need.
Each year, the Kiwanis club assists families with baskets of food for the Christmas holiday. In past years, students in the Copley-Fairlawn City Schools district have collected more than enough canned goods to help fill those Christmas food baskets, according to club officials. The annual canned food drive at the schools usually results in some 10,000 cans of food, but this year, collections were less than anticipated, netting only about 5,000 cans, according to Kiwanis officials. Therefore, the club is asking for the community’s help.
“On Saturday, Dec. 15, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., we are asking all Copley and Fairlawn residents to help by bringing donations of canned goods to our semi-trailer located in the parking lot of the Copley Community Center on Sunset Drive,” said Ray Shelker, chairman of the annual food distribution program.
In addition to the canned goods, the club also will provide other donated and purchased items, such as pies and fresh fruits and vegetables.
“This has always been a real community effort, but this year we need to ask for additional help,” said Shelker. “We expect this year we may have up to some 150 families hoping for food baskets, so additional canned food donations would be a great help in providing food to needy families at the holiday season.”
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Pilates - 7/30/2014
- Intercourse the Collective - 7/30/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014
- “Shout! The Mod Musical” - 8/2/2014