Family touched by show of support
|The Dec. 21 event at Arrowhead Primary School helped show support for the Calderone family, of Copley. Shown above, from left, are Alex, mom Michele, Abbey, dad Ken and Megan Calderone.|
|Megan Calderone, 18, of Copley, and Lauren Nervo, 18, of Stow, shown above, from left, headed up a project as Team Abbey to make blankets for the Ronald McDonald House of Akron in honor of Megan’s sister, Abbey Calderone.|
|Photos: Krista Galloway|
|Among those who came out to support Team Abbey for the project were members of the Copley-Fairlawn Middle School eighth-grade girls basketball team. Shown above left, from left, are Danielle Ester, Kiley Blachaniec, Tamia Parent, Mia Barker, Armani Jackson, Elena Neal, Grace Restivo, Nicole Hunter and Majesti Brown.|
|Abbey Calderone, 16, is shown above, at center, surrounded by friends and supporters who came to an event Dec. 21 to make blankets for Ronald McDonald House of Akron.|
“She was dancing up until the end of June, when she had knee issues and was diagnosed,” Michele Calderone said. “She had chemotherapy through the summer, and on Oct. 8 had surgery for a knee replacement. It was pretty extensive. Now we’re doing more chemotherapy and physical therapy and getting her back on her feet.”
Michele said she and her husband, Ken Calderone, who is on the Copley-Fairlawn City Schools Board of Education, have been by Abbey’s side through much of the past few months. But one day in the fall they had to be somewhere and had Abbey’s sister, Megan Calderone, and her friend, Lauren Nervo, of Stow, stay with her at the hospital.
While there, they met some of the children on the floor and one, in particular, who they learned had family that was staying at the Ronald McDonald House of Akron because they live so far away. Megan didn’t realize the home was there to provide housing in cases such as this.
“She wanted to make Christmas special for all the people that had to be there,” Michele Calderone said. “So she reached out to ETC Show Choir and it grew from there to Copley, to the choir department and band department and teachers at the high school and middle school.”
Megan and Lauren decided it would be nice to have blankets for all the families, so they decided to host an event to create blankets at the Calderone’s home Dec. 21 for Team Abbey. When interest began to increase, Arrowhead Primary School Principal Andrew LaBadie offered the use of the school’s gym for the event instead.
Those who attended helped create more than 40 blankets for donation. In addition, Michele Calderone said cash and gift cards totaling about $2,000 were collected. All items were brought to the Ronald McDonald House the following day, she added.
“We had four carloads of donations,” she said, noting that many also donated items on the home’s wish list like paper towels and nonperishable food items.
Michele Calderone said Abbey also enjoyed the event and it helped the family to see such support.
“It’s helped all of us, being able to give back,” she said. “We feel very fortunate for how much support we’ve been given from the community. It’s been huge.”
She added the family plans to continue to support the Ronald McDonald House. Anyone who would like to donate items or money to the house for Team Abbey may contact the Calderones at 330-666-9346.
More Community News
- School options presented at joint meeting
- Fans celebrate Cavs’ NBA championship
- Akron police planning for RNC
- Highland Square resident to serve as RNC delegate
- Celebrations mark Independence Day
- West Side News & Notes
- County inmates still staying elsewhere
- Fairlawn extends deadline for flood assistance program
- Copley shed to house portable toilet
- Copley ‘All In’ for Cavs’ championship game
- Bath trustees withdraw road levy from November ballot
- Sharon residents warned about skimmers at gas pumps
- City getting tough on zoning infractions
- Trustees defer decision on school
- Coventry BOE says ‘no’ to new tax levy
- School building options presented at joint meeting
- South Side News & Notes
- Mayor showcases village to investors
- Akron police planning for RNC
- County nearly ready for old Edwin Shaw demolition
- Eagles donates to K-9 program
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 6/25/2016
- Buckeye Martinfest - 6/25/2016
- Downton Bath 1900-1950 - 6/25/2016
- Jackson Browne - 6/25/2016
- Tony! Toni! Toné! with Rumpelstiltskin - 6/25/2016