Granger church representative discusses township property purchase
At the Dec. 28 Granger Township Board of Trustees meeting, Stephen Hummel, trustee and chairperson of the Granger United Methodist Church, addressed trustees about the possible purchase of township property adjoining his church.
Hummel explained the church is landlocked and the current entrance on the west side is actually located on township property as per an old agreement.
After paying off the mortgage this year, the church is now interested in looking at future capital campaigns, he said.
With that in mind, Hummel suggested three options the church would be interested in pursuing if the township was willing. The first option would be to purchase additional land to the west of the church up to the existing tree line on which to construct a larger driveway portico, he said. The second option would be to purchase a portion of the park green space for additional land buffer. Hummel said the third option would similarly be to purchase the land behind the pavilion for additional land buffer.
Trustee Richard Pace indicated the township would be interested in retaining as much land as possible, but would also like to see if there would be any kind of further agreement the church and township could put together to help the church accomplish its portico expansion.
Hummel thanked the trustees for their time and said he would check back in with them as the church develops more concrete plans.
Also during the meeting, trustees:
• agreed to approve blanket purchase orders and warrants for payment;
• agreed to set the meetings dates for 2013, which will remain the second Monday of the month at 7:30 p.m. and the fourth Monday of each month at 4 p.m., unless otherwise announced;
• approved a payroll resolution and set the salary method of pay for trustees for 2013;
• approved expenses associated with the Ohio Township Association Winter conference;
• agreed to accept the mileage rate for 2013 at the Internal Revenue Service rate of 56.5 cents per mile; and
• agreed to re-appoint David Dorow as a member of the Zoning Commission and Hummel as an alternate to the Zoning Commission.
In other business:
√ Fire Chief Jim Paulett asked trustees to pass a motion to cancel a previous motion and to re-approve the purchase of 16 Scott Air Packs and several associated accessories, now to be purchased from Warren Fire Equipment for a total of about $83,680. Trustees approved the new motion.
√ Service Director Mark Novak indicated he was very happy with the snow removal so far this year and the township has now used half of its reserve of salt from last year.
√ Fire Marshal Charles McCown retired effective Dec. 7, said Pace.
√ Fiscal Officer Barbara Beach read a notice from the Conoco Pipeline asking residents to call 8-1-1 before beginning any excavation work. The number coordinates location services for underground public utilities in the United States.
√ Following an executive session after the meeting, trustees gave a roughly 2.5 percent salary increase across the board for township employees, with the fire chief and the Fire Department officers’ salaries tabled until the next meeting, said Beach.
√ Beach also reminded residents the Medina County Yard Waste Composting Facility adjacent to the County’s Central Processing Facility, 8700 Lake Road in Seville, will recycle discarded Christmas trees at no charge from 6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 7:30 a.m. to noon on Saturdays.
The next regular Granger Township Board of Trustees meeting will take place Jan. 14 at 7:30 p.m. at the Administration Building, 3717 Ridge Road.
More Community News
- County notes success of Gay Games
- Copley fathers, sons hike Grand Canyon rim to rim
- Fairlawn updating rental, housing code
- Church offering English as second language classes
- Medina County hiking program begins Sept. 1
- Bath board approves road improvements, trail construction
- Boston officials discuss new safety measures
- Sharon Fire adding new shift
- Red Cross names interim chapter executive
- JLA accepts grant for Kids in the Kitchen project
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Norma Wagner Uray: Fashion Illustrations - 8/21/2014
- “Ride” - 8/21/2014
- Highland Book Club: “Trains and Lovers,” by Alexander McCall Smith - 8/21/2014
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Support Group - 8/21/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 8/21/2014