Hearing in Norton planned on sewer extension
NORTON — Summit County Public Health (SCPH) officials will hold a public hearing Jan. 22 at 7:30 p.m. in the Norton High School gymnasium on the proposed extension of sewers into some sections of the Nash Heights and Brookside Court area.
Letters dated Jan. 4 were sent to homeowners in that area by Ryan Pruett, supervisor in the Water Quality Program in the SCPH’s Division of Environmental Health. Pruett said 255 letters were sent to homeowners in the Nash Heights area and another 14 were sent to residents on Brookside Court.
The letter states that those who receive the letter are “located in the area being considered by the Summit County Public Health as a public health nuisance and thus will be recommended to the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as an area in need of sewer extension to abate the public health nuisance.”
The city had been working toward the sewer extension project but put it on hold last summer after complaints by property owners, who have been concerned with their costs for the project.
At the meeting, Pruett said there will be a short presentation by health district officials, followed by an opportunity for public comment.
He added that the health department has done some preliminary testing of water in the area and has found elevated levels of bacteria. If the SCPH declares the area a public nuisance, the Ohio EPA then will do a study of the area. If the Ohio EPA agrees with that finding, it will then order the city to come up with a plan to extend sewers in the affected area, Pruett said.
For more information, contact Pruett at 330-926-5645.
More Community News
- Health officials probe hospital TB exposure
- Richfield Village kicks off jubilee year
- Falls forms team to address opiate addiction
- Kurt continues as Clerk of Courts
- Early meetings don’t dissuade Copley Key Club members
- West Side News & Notes
- Boston trustees honor community members
- Impact Award winners honored
- Bath trustees request intersection study
- Shapiro takes oath of office
- Mature Services receives grant for program
Calendar of Events
- Kids Yoga and Mindfulness: ages 7-10 - 1/19/2017
- “The Ditchdigger’s Daughter” - 1/19/2017
- “Top Hat” - 1/19/2017
- Double T Quilt Club - 1/19/2017
- Reimagining the Civic Commons: with the #CreativeSummit Community - 1/19/2017