Hearing in Norton planned on sewer extension
NORTON — Summit County Public Health (SCPH) officials will hold a public hearing Jan. 22 at 7:30 p.m. in the Norton High School gymnasium on the proposed extension of sewers into some sections of the Nash Heights and Brookside Court area.
Letters dated Jan. 4 were sent to homeowners in that area by Ryan Pruett, supervisor in the Water Quality Program in the SCPH’s Division of Environmental Health. Pruett said 255 letters were sent to homeowners in the Nash Heights area and another 14 were sent to residents on Brookside Court.
The letter states that those who receive the letter are “located in the area being considered by the Summit County Public Health as a public health nuisance and thus will be recommended to the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as an area in need of sewer extension to abate the public health nuisance.”
The city had been working toward the sewer extension project but put it on hold last summer after complaints by property owners, who have been concerned with their costs for the project.
At the meeting, Pruett said there will be a short presentation by health district officials, followed by an opportunity for public comment.
He added that the health department has done some preliminary testing of water in the area and has found elevated levels of bacteria. If the SCPH declares the area a public nuisance, the Ohio EPA then will do a study of the area. If the Ohio EPA agrees with that finding, it will then order the city to come up with a plan to extend sewers in the affected area, Pruett said.
For more information, contact Pruett at 330-926-5645.
More Community News
- Downtown Akron retail, housing planned
- Sharon kicks off Christmas season
- Litchfield CLC accepted into IB program
- State auditor releases special report on open enrollment
- Falls Council hears utility audit report
- West Side News & Notes
- ADM Services Board recognizes Trailblazers
- Work on 2017 county budget continues
- Boston trustees discuss business not registered in JEDD
- Bath trustees reduce speed limit on Bonnebrook
- Bath Community Fund awards first grants
- Sharon trustees discuss Eagle Scout project
- Auditor releases report on open enrollment
- Lakemore lights up for holidays
- Downtown retail, housing planned on South Main
- Springfield district planning stadium improvements
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Glass Fusing with Marianne Hite - 12/7/2016
- Weekday Walkers - 12/7/2016
- Christmas Cards Workshop - 12/7/2016
- “Once” - 12/7/2016
- Story Time - 12/7/2016