Hearing in Norton planned on sewer extension
NORTON — Summit County Public Health (SCPH) officials will hold a public hearing Jan. 22 at 7:30 p.m. in the Norton High School gymnasium on the proposed extension of sewers into some sections of the Nash Heights and Brookside Court area.
Letters dated Jan. 4 were sent to homeowners in that area by Ryan Pruett, supervisor in the Water Quality Program in the SCPH’s Division of Environmental Health. Pruett said 255 letters were sent to homeowners in the Nash Heights area and another 14 were sent to residents on Brookside Court.
The letter states that those who receive the letter are “located in the area being considered by the Summit County Public Health as a public health nuisance and thus will be recommended to the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as an area in need of sewer extension to abate the public health nuisance.”
The city had been working toward the sewer extension project but put it on hold last summer after complaints by property owners, who have been concerned with their costs for the project.
At the meeting, Pruett said there will be a short presentation by health district officials, followed by an opportunity for public comment.
He added that the health department has done some preliminary testing of water in the area and has found elevated levels of bacteria. If the SCPH declares the area a public nuisance, the Ohio EPA then will do a study of the area. If the Ohio EPA agrees with that finding, it will then order the city to come up with a plan to extend sewers in the affected area, Pruett said.
For more information, contact Pruett at 330-926-5645.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014