Children Services plans search for new director
SOUTH AKRON — Summit County Children Services’ (SCCS) Board of Trustees has approved a new, nine-month contract with Executive Director John Saros through the end of 2013 as the board launches its search for a new executive director in light of Saros’ planned retirement.
In a Jan. 22 announcement, SCCS officials said Saros’ previous contract ran from Oct. 1, 2010, through March 31, 2013. The new nine-month contract includes no increase in compensation.
“The board’s goal is to ensure a seamless transition to the next executive director,” said Board Chair Dan Bell. “Entering into this new nine-month agreement with John will enable us to engage a firm to assist us with a search for a replacement, and also provide time for John to help the new director learn the job.”
Saros, who was raised in Akron, is a graduate of Buchtel High School who also earned his undergraduate, graduate and law degrees from The University of Akron. He served as associate director of SCCS from 1977 to 1983 before leaving to become executive director of United Disability Services from 1983 to 1994. He then joined Franklin County Children Services as its executive director, a post he held until retiring in January 2007.
He returned to SCCS in September 2007 and helped pass the agency’s 2007 levy, Bell said.
“Not only did that levy pass convincingly, but the stability he brought to the agency, coupled with his innovative programming for the benefit of our community’s children and families, enabled us to pass last year’s renewal levy overwhelmingly with nearly 70 percent of the vote supporting the levy,” Bell added. “That’s a very strong vote of confidence in our agency by the residents of Summit County.”
Kathleen Folkerth contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- Mr. Bubble - 7/22/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 7/22/2014
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014