Tony Gorant Institute assists ACCESS
|Photos courtesy of Toby Gorant|
Those helping are pictured at right top and include, from left: (top row) Dr. Todd Meyerhoefer, Pam Meyerhoefer, Karen Mullen, Sue Hobson, Steve Bossart and Mary Anne Loftus; and (front row) Mike Zepp, Dave Fiser, Steve Abdenour, Chris Hinman, Toby Gorant and Connie Bollin. Not pictured is Lynne Blinco.
This program is an off-shoot of Leadership Akron. The class is held twice a year and follows a set program taking participants to many nonprofits in the community.
The program was started to honor Tony Gorant, who died in September 2011 at age 80. Gorant was posthumously honored by Summit County officials last May with the annual Cliff Skeen Lifetime Achievement Award, which is presented to someone who has committed their career to public service. At that time, county officials noted Gorant’s career included working for 42 years for Ohio Edison and FirstEnergy, then an additional 15 years for Akron General Medical Center as senior vice president of Community Affairs. He also was part of the Akron Charter Review Commission, the Akron Planning Commission, Akron Public Schools, the Akron Regional Development Board, the Akron Symphony Orchestra, the American Diabetes Foundation and the Salvation Army.
More Community News
- Akron mayor addresses ‘hacking’ attack
- Parades, services planned for Memorial Day
- APS drops Digital Academy sponsorship
- County Council committee moves ADM levy forward
- Four men honored for bravery following April car crash
- Bath applying for grant to fund police officer position
- Blighted Copley property razed; six others to follow
- Sharon preparing for Memorial Day events
- Akron Planning Commission OKs plans for new grocery
- West Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “Calamity Jane” - 5/23/2013
- ZOSO with Joe Vitale Jr. Band - 5/24/2013
- Evil Ways with The Juke Hounds - 5/24/2013
- Voices in the Valley - 5/24/2013
- Who’s Bad? The Ultimate Michael Jackson Tribute - 5/24/2013