Family Wellness Expo draws record crowd
|Shown are children with JCC Early Childhood teacher Lisa Pesantez and volunteer Adam Rosen playing a game about healthy eating at the Expo.|
|Photos courtesy of the Shaw Jewish Community Center|
Families explored wellness through interactive activities at nearly 50 booths presented by nonprofit and for-profit organizations from the Akron area and throughout Summit County, according to JCC officials.
|Jared Fogle, national SUBWAY spokesman, showed off the pants he wore as a 425-pound man.|
Educational, environmental and medical elements of wellness also played a large role in the day’s activities, according to JCC officials.
Jared Fogle, national SUBWAY spokesman, was a highlight of the event. Visitors had the opportunity to meet Fogle and check out the pants he wore as a 425-pound man.
Attendees also enjoyed special stage shows performed throughout the day. Sid the Science Kid performed on stage with David Palomo, of Music Together®, as the children danced and sang along, and ETC School of Musical Arts entertained the crowd with performances.
“We were thrilled with the turnout and are grateful to our sponsors and partners for their commitment to wellness in our community,” said Todd Rockoff, executive director for the Shaw JCC. “The Shaw JCC is looking ahead to the third annual Family Wellness Expo as we work to continue delivering the message that wellness is fun and for the entire family.”
The Expo was made possible through the support of the following sponsors: Shaw JCC of Akron, Summa Health System, Rubber City Radio Group, Akron Aeros, Leader Publications, Western Reserve PBS, White Hat Management, Bruegger’s Bagels and Jewish Family Service.
More Community News
- Bath parks levy renewal on May ballot
- Area communities offering Safety Town
- Woodridge studying future of school buildings
- Council OKs new Dollar General in Merriman Valley
- Youth employment program getting on its way
- Falls Council OKs purchase for Electrical Department
- Norton Council accepts Moving Ohio Forward funds
- Boston trustees take step to clear property
- Sharon trustees discuss recent township break-ins
- Granger trustees approve tax abatement guidelines
- KAB names litter prevention campaign contest winners
- LaRose honors local youth
- YMCAs presenting Healthy Kids Day
- Montrose transportation meeting set for May 15
- United Way announces education investments, new funding strategy
- West Side News & Notes
- Green district seeking levy renewal
- Children celebrate Easter early
- Board strikes deal to keep fitness center running
- Springfield officer honored for service
- Grant possibility could increase police presence in Coventry
- Youth employment program on its way
- Rebuilding Together to improve nine area homes
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 4/23/2014
- Jeri Holland - 4/23/2014
- Blue Man Group - 4/23/2014
- Apollo’s Fire - 4/24/2014
- “Bye Bye Birdie” - 4/24/2014