Family Wellness Expo draws record crowd
|Shown are children with JCC Early Childhood teacher Lisa Pesantez and volunteer Adam Rosen playing a game about healthy eating at the Expo.|
|Photos courtesy of the Shaw Jewish Community Center|
Families explored wellness through interactive activities at nearly 50 booths presented by nonprofit and for-profit organizations from the Akron area and throughout Summit County, according to JCC officials.
|Jared Fogle, national SUBWAY spokesman, showed off the pants he wore as a 425-pound man.|
Educational, environmental and medical elements of wellness also played a large role in the day’s activities, according to JCC officials.
Jared Fogle, national SUBWAY spokesman, was a highlight of the event. Visitors had the opportunity to meet Fogle and check out the pants he wore as a 425-pound man.
Attendees also enjoyed special stage shows performed throughout the day. Sid the Science Kid performed on stage with David Palomo, of Music Together®, as the children danced and sang along, and ETC School of Musical Arts entertained the crowd with performances.
“We were thrilled with the turnout and are grateful to our sponsors and partners for their commitment to wellness in our community,” said Todd Rockoff, executive director for the Shaw JCC. “The Shaw JCC is looking ahead to the third annual Family Wellness Expo as we work to continue delivering the message that wellness is fun and for the entire family.”
The Expo was made possible through the support of the following sponsors: Shaw JCC of Akron, Summa Health System, Rubber City Radio Group, Akron Aeros, Leader Publications, Western Reserve PBS, White Hat Management, Bruegger’s Bagels and Jewish Family Service.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014