Lieberth named recipient of 2013 H. Peter Burg Award
Late last year, a committee of past award recipients selected retired Akron Deputy Mayor Dave Lieberth to receive the 2013 H. Peter Burg recognition. Lieberth will be presented with the award at the Red Cross’ 17th Annual Acts of Courage event March 7 at the Hilton Akron/Fairlawn.
“Dave is an acknowledged champion of Akron and the surrounding community,” said Pat Keating, board chair of the American Red Cross of Summit and Portage Counties. “Anywhere there has been anything positive and upbeat going on over the past 20 years, you know Dave has had a hand in it. He has made it his life’s work to see the local area become a better place to live, work and play for all of its citizens.”
“Dave has received a lot of awards throughout his career of public service. We know he will be particularly proud to be recognized in the name of his [University of Akron] classmate and friend, Pete Burg,” said Mark Auburn, who with his spouse, Sandy Auburn, received the award in 2012.
“The selection committee, which is composed of all the past recipients, was unanimous in recommending Dave for the award in 2013,” added Sandy Auburn.
“I’ve been privileged for the past nine years to be the emcee for the Acts of Courage Awards,” Lieberth said. “This is a remarkable night when the community honors its ‘heroes.’ To be recognized with the H. Peter Burg award alongside them, the Red Cross has found a wonderful way to bring me back again this year. I am honored.
“I continue to be involved in Greater Akron, and am looking forward to writing a new book about the success that this community has had,” he added.
During his tenure as the deputy mayor of the city of Akron, Lieberth was the architect of, according to Red Cross officials, the city’s recent renaissance, which earned it the title of “All American City” in 1995 and again in 2008. Among his former roles, according to Red Cross officials, Lieberth: is a former trustee and past president of the Summit County Historical Society; is a founder of the Leadership Akron program and has served on its Board of Trustees for 20 years; is a member of the Executive Committee of the Downtown Akron Partnership; has chaired the boards of the Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority and University of Akron (UA) Law School Alumni Association; has been a member of the boards of the Akron-Summit Convention & Visitors Bureau, Summa Health System, the Akron Zoo, GroundWorks DanceTheater, the Akron Symphony Orchestra and the Cleveland Special Events Commission; and has served as a trustee of both the Akron Community Foundation and the Children Services Board, where he chaired the first Summit Meeting of agencies dealing with children’s issues.
Lieberth is a graduate of: UA (1969); Syracuse University, where he received a master’s degree in television and radio; and the UA School of Law. He has been married 42 years to Lynne, and they have two children, Kate and Emma.
The 2013 recipients of the Acts of Courage Award also will be honored during the reception and dinner March 7. Dave Osterland will emcee. For reservations, call 330-535-6131.
More Community News
- Officials tell Akron Council Ebola risk low
- Fun treats found at Boo at the Zoo
- Health officials mobilize in wake of Ebola concerns
- Fairlawn officials still mulling rental property changes
- Charter change on ballot in Fairlawn
- Council hears reactions to five-year plan
- Norton approves resolutions thanking citizens for service
- Richfield trustees choose architect for service, administration center
- Trustees act on neighborhood traffic concerns
- Peninsula Council meets week after failing to make quorum
- Sharon trustees discuss solicitation incidents
- Bath trustees approve terminating agreement
- Burton D. Morgan Foundation extends support for entrepreneurship programs
- Fairlawn Heights neighbors host festival
- Sight-impaired children get tailored zoo experience
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore sets stricter open burning regs
- Coventry breaks ground on new school
- Officials defend Coventry’s open enrollment policy
- New Franklin Council appoints new clerk
- Officials tell Akron City Council Ebola risk low
- Council hears reactions to five-year plan
- Green YMCA displaying pumpkin contest entries
- Scouts host breakfast fundraiser
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure - 10/26/2014
- ‘60s Halloween Monster Mash presented by Bill Brauning - 10/26/2014
- Gemboree - 10/26/2014
- Intent to Deceive - 10/26/2014
- Autumn Painted Red Exhibit - 10/26/2014