Lieberth named recipient of 2013 H. Peter Burg Award
Late last year, a committee of past award recipients selected retired Akron Deputy Mayor Dave Lieberth to receive the 2013 H. Peter Burg recognition. Lieberth will be presented with the award at the Red Cross’ 17th Annual Acts of Courage event March 7 at the Hilton Akron/Fairlawn.
“Dave is an acknowledged champion of Akron and the surrounding community,” said Pat Keating, board chair of the American Red Cross of Summit and Portage Counties. “Anywhere there has been anything positive and upbeat going on over the past 20 years, you know Dave has had a hand in it. He has made it his life’s work to see the local area become a better place to live, work and play for all of its citizens.”
“Dave has received a lot of awards throughout his career of public service. We know he will be particularly proud to be recognized in the name of his [University of Akron] classmate and friend, Pete Burg,” said Mark Auburn, who with his spouse, Sandy Auburn, received the award in 2012.
“The selection committee, which is composed of all the past recipients, was unanimous in recommending Dave for the award in 2013,” added Sandy Auburn.
“I’ve been privileged for the past nine years to be the emcee for the Acts of Courage Awards,” Lieberth said. “This is a remarkable night when the community honors its ‘heroes.’ To be recognized with the H. Peter Burg award alongside them, the Red Cross has found a wonderful way to bring me back again this year. I am honored.
“I continue to be involved in Greater Akron, and am looking forward to writing a new book about the success that this community has had,” he added.
During his tenure as the deputy mayor of the city of Akron, Lieberth was the architect of, according to Red Cross officials, the city’s recent renaissance, which earned it the title of “All American City” in 1995 and again in 2008. Among his former roles, according to Red Cross officials, Lieberth: is a former trustee and past president of the Summit County Historical Society; is a founder of the Leadership Akron program and has served on its Board of Trustees for 20 years; is a member of the Executive Committee of the Downtown Akron Partnership; has chaired the boards of the Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority and University of Akron (UA) Law School Alumni Association; has been a member of the boards of the Akron-Summit Convention & Visitors Bureau, Summa Health System, the Akron Zoo, GroundWorks DanceTheater, the Akron Symphony Orchestra and the Cleveland Special Events Commission; and has served as a trustee of both the Akron Community Foundation and the Children Services Board, where he chaired the first Summit Meeting of agencies dealing with children’s issues.
Lieberth is a graduate of: UA (1969); Syracuse University, where he received a master’s degree in television and radio; and the UA School of Law. He has been married 42 years to Lynne, and they have two children, Kate and Emma.
The 2013 recipients of the Acts of Courage Award also will be honored during the reception and dinner March 7. Dave Osterland will emcee. For reservations, call 330-535-6131.
More Community News
- Mayor focuses on health care, environment
- Mustill Store opens for new season
- Norton voters to decide charter amendments
- Sheriff’s deputies receiving raises
- Council president refuses to mix with EACH investigation
- Fairlawn City Council OKs new deal with city’s police officers
- Richfield Village chief thanks employees for outfitting cruisers
- Trustees discuss concerns over crusher
- Bath approves new recycling agreement
- Copley looking for new bids for Community Center demolition
- Financial literacy classes offered
- Girls Scouts using grant for community service project
- GCEF awards funds for local Gay Games projects
- West Side News & Notes
- Development to offer luxury apartments
- Green seniors enjoy annual social
- Manchester district seeking renewal of levy
- New Franklin finance director now full time
- Sheriff’s deputies to receive raises
- South Side News & Notes
- Spring cleaning on tap for Lakemore
- Coventry school board places extended levy renewal on ballot
- Nimisila Reservoir Spring Cleanup coming
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 4/16/2014
- Alzheimer’s Association Caregiver Support Group - 4/16/2014
- Helen Welch - 4/17/2014
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Support Group - 4/17/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 4/17/2014