Granger trustees approve appropriations
During the Feb. 11 meeting, the Granger Township Board of Trustees approved appropriations for 2013 totaling about $1.6 million.
Fiscal Officer Barbara Beach said about $487,400 are for roads. She added if the Fire Department buys a new rescue squad, it would cost the department an additional $175,000, which would bring the department’s total amount to about $698,800.
In other business, a discussion regarding the renewal of a contract with Physio-Control technical support covering the Fire Department’s Lifepaks was held.
It was decided the department would accept a three-year contract as opposed to a one-year contract since batteries are replaced every two years.
Also, two applicants were accepted as probationary members of the fire department. Fire Chief Jim Paulett said Angela Potter is a Level 1 firefighter and paramedic. She is also a fire prevention specialist. Paulett said her hiring would bring the department up to 35 firefighters. In addition, since the department is fully staffed, Dennis Russell, a 20-year veteran of the Rittman Fire Department and Rittman EMS, would be put at the top of the waiting list, he said.
In other fire department news, Paulett reported 17 fire alarms and 15 EMS calls were made throughout January. He announced finalized training plans for flushing the fire hydrants, which should begin in March or April and should be finished by May or June.
In other business:
- Chris Szekely, of the Medina County Auditor’s Office, said Feb. 15 is the due date for property taxes.
Beach also acknowledged that Szekely was named Auditor Mike Kovack’s Office Employee of the Year for 2012.
- Service Department Director Mark Novak discussed the use of salt on township roads so far this winter. He said more than 416 tons of salt were ordered, but 150 were used in the last couple of weeks.
- Zoning Inspector Annie George reported the second variance for Shepherd’s Grace Church on Medina Road had not yet been received. At the last meeting, she specified this proposal would include an additional gravel parking lot to the church and an illuminated sign.
- The trustees approved a dispatch contract with the Medina County Sheriff’s Office for $18,957. Beach said the contract would cover local police and fire departments, EMS and the Medina County Sheriff’s Office.
- Trustees approved a contract with Belsole Ground Works for mowing township properties at $840 per cut.
- An amendment regulating the use of texting and audio and video equipment was resolved. The policy, which was originally passed in 2010, states that Granger Township employees may not text while driving township vehicles. The addition was that no business should be conducted by texting other than the messaging service used by the Fire Department, according to township officials.
- Paulett announced the Fire Department will participate in an ice water rescue training session today, Feb. 14, at 7 p.m., weather permitting.
The next Granger Township Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for Feb. 25 at 4 p.m. at the Administration Building, 3717 Ridge Road.
More Community News
- School options presented at joint meeting
- Fans celebrate Cavs’ NBA championship
- Akron police planning for RNC
- Highland Square resident to serve as RNC delegate
- Celebrations mark Independence Day
- West Side News & Notes
- County inmates still staying elsewhere
- Fairlawn extends deadline for flood assistance program
- Copley shed to house portable toilet
- Copley ‘All In’ for Cavs’ championship game
- Bath trustees withdraw road levy from November ballot
- Sharon residents warned about skimmers at gas pumps
- City getting tough on zoning infractions
- Trustees defer decision on school
- Coventry BOE says ‘no’ to new tax levy
- School building options presented at joint meeting
- South Side News & Notes
- Mayor showcases village to investors
- Akron police planning for RNC
- County nearly ready for old Edwin Shaw demolition
- Eagles donates to K-9 program
Calendar of Events
- Summer Basketball Skills Camp - 6/27/2016
- Cuyahoga Falls Community Band - 6/27/2016
- Acid Cats - 6/27/2016
- Widowed Men’s Group - 6/27/2016
- Yoga and Mimosa; Yoga and Wine - 6/27/2016