‘Polar bears’ jump into 10th year
|Photos: Lew Stamp|
This year, the event was held to benefit the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank. A group of jumpers and watchers are shown at right top.
According to Kelly Pariso, who organized the jump along with his wife, Heather, and neighbors Jeff and Debbie Fulkman, more than 2,000 spectators came out to watch more than 725 jumpers take the plunge into the icy cold waters off the beach in the state park. Pariso said the event raised more than $80,000 for the Foodbank. Donations are still being accepted at www.portagelakespolarbearclub.com.
“I am very proud to reflect on what we have accomplished over the last 10 years,” said Pariso. “I feel we have made an impact on the community not only financially, but also by making the Portage Lakes and surrounding areas more fun in February.”
Among those participating in the Polar Bear Jump was Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank President and CEO Dan Flowers and his son, Andy, 12, shown at right bottom, who were the first to jump.
Flowers said more than a dozen people from the organization decided to participate for the first time this year.
“This event is the second biggest fundraiser for us, and our organization depends on it,” he said. “We are thrilled to be a part of the event, and we want to thank all the jumpers, supporters and organizers. The logistics of our organization is complicated, but feeding the hungry is basic to what we do. One dollar provides four meals for the hungry men, women and children in the community.”
To make a donation to the Foodbank, visit www.akroncantonfoodbank.org.
— By Maria Lindsay
More Community News
- Dam removal leads to changes in river
- Menorah lights aglow
- County Council examines BOE, sheriff budgets
- Akron Council swears in two members early
- Local jumpers jazz up Macy’s Parade
- West Side News & Notes
- Giant Eagle requesting permit to expand beer, wine department
- Norton approves funds for building projects
- Bath trustees OK purchase of land near Bath Center site
- Boston trustees approve police contract with Peninsula
- Granger Fire purchasing equipment for EMS reports
- Sharon trustees continue to debate donations to SPCA
- Corbin Foundation awards grants
- Fall tax tips from IRS
Calendar of Events
- Papercuts: A Poetic Interplay of Light and Shadow - 12/6/2013
- Kathy Johnson and Friends - 12/6/2013
- “Nutty Nutcracker” - 12/6/2013
- Downtown Akron Art Walk - 12/7/2013
- Island of Misfit Toys - 12/7/2013