Chambrel residents thank Copley with donations
The Copley Township Board of Trustees expressed appreciation for $1,500 in donations to the township from the residents of Chambrel at Montrose.
The residents donated $750 each to the fire and police departments. Fire Chief Michael Benson and Police Chief Michael Mier attended a “thank you” breakfast at the facility, where they were presented with the checks, Benson said.
Benson said the fire department frequently is called to the facility on Brookmont Drive, most usually to assist residents who have fallen. Benson said a portion of the residents’ donation would be used for a continuing education seminar on trauma life support.
Trustees thanked the residents and termed the donation very generous.
In other business, Service Director Mark Mitchell requested an additional $72,931 for the township’s 2013 road repair and repaving projects. Mitchell originally requested $400,000 for the program, which will be administered through the Summit County Engineer’s Office. Mitchell said he was a “little overambitious” in the number of projects he thought could be completed with the original amount. Even after scaling back the 2013 program, Mitchell said additional funds were needed. Trustees approved the increase and the modified scope of work.
Also at the meeting, trustees:
- renewed the police department’s lease contract with the Naval Surface Warfare Center for use of night vision goggles. The cost of the contract is $600;
- approved a $22,490 purchase order to Systems Supply Inc. for a raised access floor and floor cutouts for the joint dispatch center in Norton;
- hired Ralph Waszak to assist the township in negotiating contracts for design and construction of the proposed new police station; and
- removed from the personnel policy manual a section regarding hold-harmless agreements for dumping fill dirt on private property.
The board next will meet March 6 at 6 p.m. at the Copley Township offices, 1540 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
More Community News
- Akron welcoming NBA star ‘back home’
- Old-fashioned carnival celebrates SCHS anniversary
- Woodridge bids farewell to board member
- APS board accepts donation from foundation
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Boston trustees discuss issues with road project
- Sharon officials provide update on smell
- Falls drafts deal for development of Menards
- Norton working on flood control on Newpark Drive
- Granger Fire personnel sworn in
- Fairlawn officials investigating nightly room rentals in residences
- West Side News & Notes
- Springfield superintendent retiring
- Road resurfacing behind schedule in Coventry
- Pine Lake residents object to new Lauer Park entrance
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 7/23/2014
- 24th Annual AoRC Juried Show - 7/23/2014
- Music in the Meadow: Mo’ Mojo - 7/23/2014
- Mosaic Picture Frame for grades 5-12 - 7/24/2014
- Taste of Akron - 7/24/2014