Chambrel residents thank Copley with donations
The Copley Township Board of Trustees expressed appreciation for $1,500 in donations to the township from the residents of Chambrel at Montrose.
The residents donated $750 each to the fire and police departments. Fire Chief Michael Benson and Police Chief Michael Mier attended a “thank you” breakfast at the facility, where they were presented with the checks, Benson said.
Benson said the fire department frequently is called to the facility on Brookmont Drive, most usually to assist residents who have fallen. Benson said a portion of the residents’ donation would be used for a continuing education seminar on trauma life support.
Trustees thanked the residents and termed the donation very generous.
In other business, Service Director Mark Mitchell requested an additional $72,931 for the township’s 2013 road repair and repaving projects. Mitchell originally requested $400,000 for the program, which will be administered through the Summit County Engineer’s Office. Mitchell said he was a “little overambitious” in the number of projects he thought could be completed with the original amount. Even after scaling back the 2013 program, Mitchell said additional funds were needed. Trustees approved the increase and the modified scope of work.
Also at the meeting, trustees:
- renewed the police department’s lease contract with the Naval Surface Warfare Center for use of night vision goggles. The cost of the contract is $600;
- approved a $22,490 purchase order to Systems Supply Inc. for a raised access floor and floor cutouts for the joint dispatch center in Norton;
- hired Ralph Waszak to assist the township in negotiating contracts for design and construction of the proposed new police station; and
- removed from the personnel policy manual a section regarding hold-harmless agreements for dumping fill dirt on private property.
The board next will meet March 6 at 6 p.m. at the Copley Township offices, 1540 S. Cleveland-Massillon Road.
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
- New Springfield superintendent named
- Communities gearing up for Rock the Docks
- New Franklin charter changes headed to ballot
- Community event planned at East Liberty Park
- Kids Month celebrated in August
- Wingfoot One selected as new blimp name
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Windows 8 - 7/29/2014
- Pilates - 7/30/2014
- Intercourse the Collective - 7/30/2014
- “Summer Fun” Book Sale - 7/31/2014
- Works by Portage Path Community Learning Center art students - 7/31/2014