Granger trustees hear firefighters’ achievements
At the Granger Township Board of Trustees meeting Feb. 25, Fire Chief Jim Paulett discussed the latest achievements of a few members of his department.
Trustees agreed to accept probationary firefighters Kevin Hylbert and James Kuruc as permanent members of the Granger Fire Department.
Paulett also announced firefighters Ray Allen and Jarrod Mosley are currently enrolled in fire instructor school. He said five other members are enrolled in Fire Officer 1 training at Cuyahoga Community College: Lt. Bob Smith, Lt. Ted Fulling, John Rocco, Brandon Quinn and Carol Redford. Paulett explained the department is prepaid for three of these members to attend Fire Officer 2 training, which will take place later this spring. Firefighter Ken Schabitzer is currently enrolled in Firefighter 1 training through the Hinckley Fire Department, he said.
In other fire department news, Paulett announced the Granger Fire Department will hold training on proper lifting techniques and exercises from area chiropractors. He said back problems are an occupational hazard for EMS personnel.
In other business:
- Service Director Mark Novak announced a total of 692 tons of salt had been received for the winter season. He said the salt shed currently holds an additional 200 tons.
- Medina County Sheriff’s Office Deputy David Pries said he estimated a total of 3,437 Sheriff’s Office activities took place in Granger in 2012.
- Zoning Inspector Annie George addressed concerns expressed by three contiguous property owners in regards to the proposed changes at Shepherd’s Grace Church at 2325 Medina Road. She had previously explained the changes would include an additional gravel parking lot to the church and a larger illuminated sign.
- Sexton Rita Feess said she sold four nonresident cemetery lots in the area in February. She also addressed a question from a resident on the address of the Fairview Granger Cemetery on Wilbur Road.
Trustee John Ginley said the Fire Department could be asked to put up an address sign since the cemetery does not have a mailbox.
- Trustee Richard Pace discussed information regarding the Medina Sunrise Rotary Club’s Mark Sutherland Service Above Self Scholarship. He explained the $1,000 scholarship is open to graduating seniors in high schools across Medina County, including Highland High School. Applicants will be judged based on academics, character and community and school service, he said. Pace encouraged Highland High School seniors interested in applying for this scholarship to contact the school’s guidance office for applications or to email Pace at email@example.com for more information.
The next Granger Township Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for March 11 at 7:30 p.m. at the Granger Administration Building, 3717 Ridge Road.
More Community News
- Local issues filed for November ballot
- Community Day brightens up weekend in Richfield
- Council entering battle against fuel pump fraud
- School preparation focus of Summit for Kids
- Teen completes Akron-to-Miami cycling adventure
- West Side News & Notes
- Suspect arrested for CVNP shooting
- Junior League of Akron names award recipients
- Trustees discuss zoning issues
- Richfield Council OKs selling surplus items
- Fairlawn enacts moratorium on medical marijuana businesses
- Trustees OK contracts for windows, doors
- Trustees address fiscal matters
- Granger trustees hear about daytime burglaries
- Granger residents report break-ins
- State Route 94/Granger Road closure delayed
- Volunteer Guardian Program seeking volunteers
- Green to share political insights at Akron Woman’s City Club
- Local issues filed for November ballot
- PLCC burn building training center dedicated
- Coventry board addresses open enrollment issues
- Coventry residents rally for Kew Drive demolition
- Manchester bond issue result due Aug. 19
- South Side News & Notes
- Summit County Council entering battle against fuel pump fraud
- Five arrested for historic schoolhouse fire, vandalism at parksmaria
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 8/24/2016
- Meet Me in the Garden - 8/24/2016
- Lock Bottom Blues and Jazz Club: Ernie Krivda All Star Quartet - 8/24/2016
- Tots and Treats - 8/24/2016
- A New Beginning: group for widows and widowers - 8/24/2016