Last Alarm Fundraiser planned
|The Sharon Township Firefighters Association (STFA) repurchased the township’s first fire truck, a 1950 Chevrolet, at the end of 2010, and is having it outfitted with rollers so it can be used to transport caskets of fallen firefighters, police and public safety officials.
|Photo courtesy of the Sharon Township Firefighters Association|
The money raised will be used to restore and bring home a 1950 Chevrolet, the first fire truck Sharon Township ever owned, according to Fire Capt. Dennis Miller. Old 132, as it is called, was purchased June 2, 1950, for $10,000 and was reacquired by the STFA at the end of 2010, Miller said. Now, the truck is at West Coast Customs, a luxury automotive restyling center in Corona, Calif., where the restoration project is under way.
Old 132 will be refurbished to give firefighters, police and public safety officials their ‘Last Alarm’ call, said Miller. Fire engines today stand over 10 feet tall — too tall to bear caskets in a fashion worthy of the respect and honor those who have fallen deserve, he added. When the project is complete, Old 132 will feature an apparatus with a custom-built casket roller system that will allow firefighters to remove a casket without tilting it.
The truck, which has already been used in several funeral processions, will be free to any fire department in the state that requests it for a Last Alarm ride, said Miller. Also, it will be made available to Make-A-Wish Foundation and Wishes Can Happen recipients.
At the fundraiser, raffle prizes will include a 2013 Honda Rancher 4x4 all-terrain vehicle or $3,500 in cash and a second prize of $500 in cash. Raffle tickets cost $20 each and can be purchased at Thirsty Cowboy, Rick Roush Motor Sports in Medina or at the Sharon Fire Station on Sharon Circle.
According to event organizers, between 5 and 6:30 p.m., WKDD 98.1 FM will broadcast with a live remote as part of its pub crawl. Corned beef and cabbage will be served until 7 p.m. A 7:30 p.m. show will feature music by Charis Thorsell, Coalies Run and the Cleveland Firefighters Memorial Pipes and Drums.
The STFA is currently accepting both monetary donations and goods to be raffled off during the upcoming fundraiser. Miller said contributors of $500 or more will be offered a plaque to display on the truck.
Donations can be dropped off or mailed to the Sharon Township Fire Department, 1274 Sharon-Copley Road, Sharon Center, OH 44274. Checks should be made payable to STFA, with “Memorial Truck Fund” written on the check. To schedule a donation pickup, call the Sharon Township Fire Department at 330-239-4992. To learn more about the event, visit www.facebook.com and search for Last Alarm — Sharon Township Firefighters Association.
Ariel Hakim contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Akron to raise rental registration fee
- Jolly fun had at Christmas Jingle
- Residents seek to form watershed conservancy
- Grant puts road widening closer to reality
- Local Boy Scouts go on summer ‘high adventure trek’
- West Side News & Notes
- Millennium Fund awards grants
- Blood donation opportunities
- Tucker named new Akron fire chief
- CSO project underway this week
- Campaign provides light for end-of-life patients, remembers those who have died
- Free fire alarms, installation available from Red Cross
- County Council looking at cost of medicine at jail
- Burton D. Morgan Foundation grants awarded
- Fairlawn Holiday Lighting Contest to be judged Dec. 13
- Bath trustees considering proposal for observatory
- Richfield looking to bring back winter festival
- Richfield Village receives covenant not to sue under Ohio EPA Voluntary Action Program
- Granger trustees discuss cemetery, zoning fees
- Scout siblings earn awards
- Green Council considers budget
- Coventry sparkles with new holiday event
- Village studying marijuana business issue
- Fill-A-Cruiser events making holidays merrier
- South Side News & Notes
- DAR Chapter honors veterans
- Akron to raise rental registration fee
Calendar of Events
- Akron Symphony: Home for the Holidays - 12/9/2016
- Nuance - 12/9/2016
- University of Akron Graduate String Quartet - 12/9/2016
- “America’s Got Talent” - 12/10/2016
- Dynamics Community Theater’s “Miracle on 34th Street” - 12/10/2016