West Side News & Notes
Norton Council amends share of waterline replacement
NORTON — During a special meeting March 4, Norton City Council members approved legislation amending the city’s portion of a cost-sharing agreement with the city of Barberton for the construction of the 31st Street Northwest/South Cleveland-Massillon Road waterline replacement project.
Originally, Council approved paying $1,021,000 in an ordinance approved in December 2012, according to city officials. Now, with updated figures from Barberton, Norton will pay around $34,000 more, said Council Clerk Karla Richards.
Council waived second and third readings of the amended ordinance and voted 7-0 to pay the new amount, which is $1,055,000.
Meetings to feature fair housing findings
NORTHEAST OHIO — The Northeast Ohio Sustainable Communities Consortium (NEOSCC) is planning a series of public meetings throughout the region to release the preliminary findings of a study evaluating fair housing throughout 12 counties in Northeast Ohio.
The public meetings are a chance for residents to hear the preliminary findings of the study, the Regional Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice, and provide input and share opinions about the fair housing choices available to residents, as well as ways that local communities and leaders can work to enhance fair housing choices.
Locally, meetings will take place March 11 at 9 a.m. in President’s Hall at the Akron Urban League, 440 Vernon Odom Blvd. in West Akron; and March 12 at 2 p.m. in the Multi-Purpose Room of Medina City Hall, 132 N. Elmwood Ave. in Medina.
NEOSCC is largely funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) as part of the new federal Sustainable Communities Initiative. The Sustainable Communities Initiative is an interagency collaboration among HUD, the U.S. Department of Transportation and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. NEOSCC is a three-year planning effort to revitalize the 12 counties that comprise Northeast Ohio. The effort includes 33 regional consortium members and more than 100 other organizations throughout the 12 counties.
For more information, go to www.vibrantneo.org.
Red Cross to honor heroes at Acts of Courage event
FAIRLAWN — Area heroes will be honored for their bravery and heroism at the annual American Red Cross of Summit and Portage Counties Acts of Courage event tonight, March 7, at the Hilton Akron/Fairlawn.
The event honors local residents who responded heroically in an emergency to save the life of another.
This year’s recipients, with details provided by the Red Cross, are:
- Florence Wang, of Canfield, who was able to utilize her Chinese connections to arrange for a blood transfusion for a critically ill employee of Fairlawn-based OMNOVA Solutions who was working in China;
- Selena Turner, of Akron, a 13-year-old who alerted her grandmother when her neighbor, Dave Materna, collapsed. Selena followed her grandmother’s instructions and called 9-1-1. Paramedics arrived and treated Materna for a diabetic coma;
- Cuyahoga Falls Police Officer Eric Prange and Postal Service worker James Bowman, of Cuyahoga Falls, who responded when a car crashed into a house. Bowman called 9-1-1 and the two attended to the injured driver and occupant of the house until paramedics arrived;
- Keith Dobbins, of Barberton, who used a fire extinguisher to help pull two occupants of a mobile home to safety following an explosion;
- Summit County sheriff deputies Dora Evans and Rodney Tyson, who, while en route to Bedford, Pa., to process an extradition, came upon an overturned semi-truck and removed the unconscious driver from the cab when they noticed gasoline pooling around his body and smoke pouring out of the cab;
- Darrell Terry, of Bolivar, and Dale Palmer, of Akron, who assisted Bob Fisher when he came into contact with an undetected short in the cables he was inspecting during construction at Acme Plaza in Montrose. Terry tackled Fisher and separated him from the electrical current, and Palmer, an employee at Eddy’s Bike Shop, told a fellow employee to call 9-1-1 and began chest compressions with Terry’s assistance;
- Summit County sheriff’s deputies Mark McElroy, of Akron, and William McKinney, of Barberton, who performed CPR on a child who was pulled lifeless out of a hotel pool in Phoenix. The deputies continued their efforts for several minutes until the boy responded. He has since made a complete recovery;
- Heather Pariso, of Akron, and Lynne Trenkelbach, of Akron, nurses who attended to Tony Lindeman, who suffered sudden cardiac arrest and collapsed on the sidewalk while the three were running the Akron Marathon. They performed CPR while another runner stopped and called 9-1-1. Pariso helped the paramedics to deploy an automated external defibrillator, and Lindeman began to breathe again, and his pulse returned.
- Dr. Michael Passero, of Akron, who confronted an elderly man in a hospital room at Akron General Medical Center who was armed with a gun. The man had allegedly shot a critically ill patient in the hopes of ending her suffering; and
- Ron Halvorson, of Green, who pulled a driver to safety after a car crashed into a building, severing a natural gas line.
At the Acts of Courage event, the Red Cross also will present the H. Peter Burg Award to retired Akron Deputy Mayor Dave Lieberth.
Editor’s note: For more detailed descriptions of the honorees’ courageous acts, please visit www.akron.com/akron-ohio-community-news.asp?aID=18677.
Kathleen Folkerth, Ariel Hakim and Stephanie Kist contributed to these reports.
More Community News
- Akron Council OKs Rockynol project permit
- Croghan Park rededicated
- Focus on speeding, other issues at Akron Caucus
- Bath Community Day is Aug. 2
- Summit, Medina fairs celebrate traditions
- Richfield fire chief commended for saving life
- Richfield trustees discuss mowing complaint
- Copley pet groomer reunites potbellied pig, owner
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Education News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Summertime Card Party - 7/25/2014
- Voices in the Valley: Jim Gill - 7/25/2014
- Wine Tasting and Silent Auction - 7/25/2014
- Tony Rio - 7/25/2014
- A New Adventure - 7/26/2014