Taste of Green to showcase Green businesses, attractions
According to Debra Sherman, of Connecting for a Cause, who is co-producing the event with Andy Malitz, the first annual Taste of Green is being presented by the city of Green and premier sponsor Akron General Health System, and is being produced by Connecting for a Cause.
Connecting for a Cause is a nonprofit organization that develops and produces community events to benefit other charitable organizations in Ohio, according to city officials.
The Memorial Day weekend event will include exhibitor displays, music and entertainment, children’s activities, a wine and beer garden and food. All activities will be set up along Town Park Boulevard and Town Park Crossing. The event will run Saturday and Sunday from noon to 8 p.m. and Monday from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
“This inaugural event, which is modeled on similar successful events around the country, offers an opportunity to showcase your business or organization to a broad base, with an expected crowd of about 15,000 people,” said Sherman. “This is a nonprofit event that will benefit the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank, Friends of Green Parks and the Green Schools Foundation, all of which will be showcased at the Taste of Green.”
Sherman said participants for the event to date include those representing the auto industry, service providers, kitchenwares, landscapers, candy makers and bakeries, as well as restaurants. Some of the area restaurants include Baja Pizzafish, Legends Sports Pub and Grille, Menches Bros., Old Carolina Barbecue Co. and The Pierogi Lady.
Also, craft beers by Yuengling and Stella Artois, and wines from Heidelberg Distributing Co. will be available for purchase.
A complete list of participants will be available after the close of registration April 1, according to Sherman.
She added that exhibitor space and sponsorships for the event are still available. For details about participating in the Taste of Green, visit the event website at www.tasteofgreenohio.com or contact exhibitor chair Joanne Zaratsian, membership manager for Akron General Lifestyles, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-958-9204.
The event also aims to provide a variety of free entertainment to families during the holiday weekend, according to Sherman.
“This free event will offer something for everyone in the family,” said Sherman. “There will be tons of family-oriented fun, and the only cost will be for food and drinks.”
Sherman said the YMCA of Greater Akron is organizing children’s activities, and Little Tykes will offer a variety of items to play with.
“There will also be lots of premier entertainment,” said Sherman.
Some of the musicians scheduled to perform that weekend include WANTED, a Bon Jovi tribute band; Ryan Humbert; the Swizzle Stick Band; and the Ninja Cowboys.
Family entertainment also will include local dance groups and other performers.
“This weekend is also a good opportunity for youths and students to fulfill community service hours,” said Sherman. “Volunteers are needed to help out in a variety of ways.”
More Community News
- Mayor focuses on health care, environment
- Mustill Store opens for new season
- Norton voters to decide charter amendments
- Sheriff’s deputies receiving raises
- Council president refuses to mix with EACH investigation
- Fairlawn City Council OKs new deal with city’s police officers
- Richfield Village chief thanks employees for outfitting cruisers
- Trustees discuss concerns over crusher
- Bath approves new recycling agreement
- Copley looking for new bids for Community Center demolition
- Financial literacy classes offered
- Girls Scouts using grant for community service project
- GCEF awards funds for local Gay Games projects
- West Side News & Notes
- Development to offer luxury apartments
- Green seniors enjoy annual social
- Manchester district seeking renewal of levy
- New Franklin finance director now full time
- Sheriff’s deputies to receive raises
- South Side News & Notes
- Spring cleaning on tap for Lakemore
- Coventry school board places extended levy renewal on ballot
- Nimisila Reservoir Spring Cleanup coming
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 4/16/2014
- Alzheimer’s Association Caregiver Support Group - 4/16/2014
- Helen Welch - 4/17/2014
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Support Group - 4/17/2014
- Stewart’s Caring Place: A Cancer Wellness Center Events - 4/17/2014