Taste of Green to showcase Green businesses, attractions
According to Debra Sherman, of Connecting for a Cause, who is co-producing the event with Andy Malitz, the first annual Taste of Green is being presented by the city of Green and premier sponsor Akron General Health System, and is being produced by Connecting for a Cause.
Connecting for a Cause is a nonprofit organization that develops and produces community events to benefit other charitable organizations in Ohio, according to city officials.
The Memorial Day weekend event will include exhibitor displays, music and entertainment, children’s activities, a wine and beer garden and food. All activities will be set up along Town Park Boulevard and Town Park Crossing. The event will run Saturday and Sunday from noon to 8 p.m. and Monday from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
“This inaugural event, which is modeled on similar successful events around the country, offers an opportunity to showcase your business or organization to a broad base, with an expected crowd of about 15,000 people,” said Sherman. “This is a nonprofit event that will benefit the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank, Friends of Green Parks and the Green Schools Foundation, all of which will be showcased at the Taste of Green.”
Sherman said participants for the event to date include those representing the auto industry, service providers, kitchenwares, landscapers, candy makers and bakeries, as well as restaurants. Some of the area restaurants include Baja Pizzafish, Legends Sports Pub and Grille, Menches Bros., Old Carolina Barbecue Co. and The Pierogi Lady.
Also, craft beers by Yuengling and Stella Artois, and wines from Heidelberg Distributing Co. will be available for purchase.
A complete list of participants will be available after the close of registration April 1, according to Sherman.
She added that exhibitor space and sponsorships for the event are still available. For details about participating in the Taste of Green, visit the event website at www.tasteofgreenohio.com or contact exhibitor chair Joanne Zaratsian, membership manager for Akron General Lifestyles, at email@example.com or 330-958-9204.
The event also aims to provide a variety of free entertainment to families during the holiday weekend, according to Sherman.
“This free event will offer something for everyone in the family,” said Sherman. “There will be tons of family-oriented fun, and the only cost will be for food and drinks.”
Sherman said the YMCA of Greater Akron is organizing children’s activities, and Little Tykes will offer a variety of items to play with.
“There will also be lots of premier entertainment,” said Sherman.
Some of the musicians scheduled to perform that weekend include WANTED, a Bon Jovi tribute band; Ryan Humbert; the Swizzle Stick Band; and the Ninja Cowboys.
Family entertainment also will include local dance groups and other performers.
“This weekend is also a good opportunity for youths and students to fulfill community service hours,” said Sherman. “Volunteers are needed to help out in a variety of ways.”
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014
- Weekday Walkers - 10/22/2014
- Wine and Canvas Painting Class - 10/22/2014
- “Godzilla” - 10/23/2014