Taste of Green to showcase Green businesses, attractions
According to Debra Sherman, of Connecting for a Cause, who is co-producing the event with Andy Malitz, the first annual Taste of Green is being presented by the city of Green and premier sponsor Akron General Health System, and is being produced by Connecting for a Cause.
Connecting for a Cause is a nonprofit organization that develops and produces community events to benefit other charitable organizations in Ohio, according to city officials.
The Memorial Day weekend event will include exhibitor displays, music and entertainment, children’s activities, a wine and beer garden and food. All activities will be set up along Town Park Boulevard and Town Park Crossing. The event will run Saturday and Sunday from noon to 8 p.m. and Monday from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
“This inaugural event, which is modeled on similar successful events around the country, offers an opportunity to showcase your business or organization to a broad base, with an expected crowd of about 15,000 people,” said Sherman. “This is a nonprofit event that will benefit the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank, Friends of Green Parks and the Green Schools Foundation, all of which will be showcased at the Taste of Green.”
Sherman said participants for the event to date include those representing the auto industry, service providers, kitchenwares, landscapers, candy makers and bakeries, as well as restaurants. Some of the area restaurants include Baja Pizzafish, Legends Sports Pub and Grille, Menches Bros., Old Carolina Barbecue Co. and The Pierogi Lady.
Also, craft beers by Yuengling and Stella Artois, and wines from Heidelberg Distributing Co. will be available for purchase.
A complete list of participants will be available after the close of registration April 1, according to Sherman.
She added that exhibitor space and sponsorships for the event are still available. For details about participating in the Taste of Green, visit the event website at www.tasteofgreenohio.com or contact exhibitor chair Joanne Zaratsian, membership manager for Akron General Lifestyles, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-958-9204.
The event also aims to provide a variety of free entertainment to families during the holiday weekend, according to Sherman.
“This free event will offer something for everyone in the family,” said Sherman. “There will be tons of family-oriented fun, and the only cost will be for food and drinks.”
Sherman said the YMCA of Greater Akron is organizing children’s activities, and Little Tykes will offer a variety of items to play with.
“There will also be lots of premier entertainment,” said Sherman.
Some of the musicians scheduled to perform that weekend include WANTED, a Bon Jovi tribute band; Ryan Humbert; the Swizzle Stick Band; and the Ninja Cowboys.
Family entertainment also will include local dance groups and other performers.
“This weekend is also a good opportunity for youths and students to fulfill community service hours,” said Sherman. “Volunteers are needed to help out in a variety of ways.”
More Community News
- Delegates, safety forces fill Cleveland
- Falls festival celebrates Italian style
- Akron getting new municipal courthouse
- Area delegates head to Democratic convention
- West Side News & Notes
- Bath trustees reject fact-finding report
- Boston trustees reviewing new police contract
- NAMI celebrates anniversary, awardees
- Zoning issues addressed by Sharon officials, residents
- Display highlights fight against cancer
- Good Neighbors grateful for new van
- Pirates share island fun
- Springfield seeking renewal of fire levy
- Coventry placing two levies on November ballot
- Trustees decline grant funds for bank stabilization project
- South Side News & Notes
- Resident says taxes too high in New Franklin
- Akron getting new municipal courthouse
- Local officials respond after spike in overdoses
- Area delegates heading to Democratic convention
Calendar of Events
- Kim Karam & The Gene Fiocca Band; Jan Rookard and The McCall - As One - 7/23/2016
- “Godspell” - 7/23/2016
- Brass Transit (Chicago tribute) with Charita Franks - 7/23/2016
- “Love Letters” - 7/23/2016
- TubaSummer - 7/24/2016