Public hearing on rezoning continued
Richfield Township trustees conducted a continuance of their public hearing on the proposed rezoning of property at Broadview and Boston roads March 21 and continued it again to an April meeting.
Zoning Inspector Laurie Pinney said eight people spoke in opposition to the rezoning during the hearing, which trustees continued from March 7. Pinney said those who spoke generally said they did not think the proposed use of the property fit with the character of the area.
Sam Petros and Neil Brennan applied in November 2012 to rezone the property on the southeast corner of the intersection from R-1 (Rural Residential) to C-1 (Local Commercial). The two notified trustees on the day of the most recent public hearing that they could not attend and asked that it be continued to the April 18 meeting at 6:30 p.m., which trustees did, Pinney said.
During the previous hearing, Pinney said the township Zoning Commission and Summit County Planning Commission had recommended trustees deny the rezoning request. Petros had said he and Brennan have struggled to find a viable use for the property since they bought it in 1996. After an attempt to use the property as a nursery found little success, the owners made a similar rezoning request in 1998. The trustees turned down that request, which led to a court battle.
At the previous hearing, Petros said the site could be used for a drugstore.
Trustees also conducted a meeting following the hearing, with no new business brought up and no significant action taken, Pinney said.
Trustees will next meet April 4 at 10 a.m. in Town Hall, 4410 W. Streetsboro Road. The April 18 meeting will also take place there.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- Democratic mayoral candidates debate
- Buchtel students visit Kenya via biostatistics program
- Grether resigns, special election needed in Norton
- APD officers engaging in ‘park and walk’ effort
- County looking to become more immigrant-friendly
- West Side News & Notes
- Scouts stage ‘buy-in’ to support Circle K
- Bhutanese community learning about Akron
- Service building project to go out for bids
- Copley to award trash hauler contract next month
- Representative discusses services of Renacci’s office
Calendar of Events
- Evil Ways, The Jimi Hendrix Tribute Experience and Ball and Chain - 8/28/2015
- End of Summer Jam with Sir Charles and Wendell B. - 8/28/2015
- Thyme for Dinner: Campfire Cooking - 8/28/2015
- Downloading with the 3M Cloud Library, eLearning the Easy Way, Excel Basics, Games and Tricks for Android Tablets - 8/29/2015
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 8/29/2015