Public hearing on rezoning continued
Richfield Township trustees conducted a continuance of their public hearing on the proposed rezoning of property at Broadview and Boston roads March 21 and continued it again to an April meeting.
Zoning Inspector Laurie Pinney said eight people spoke in opposition to the rezoning during the hearing, which trustees continued from March 7. Pinney said those who spoke generally said they did not think the proposed use of the property fit with the character of the area.
Sam Petros and Neil Brennan applied in November 2012 to rezone the property on the southeast corner of the intersection from R-1 (Rural Residential) to C-1 (Local Commercial). The two notified trustees on the day of the most recent public hearing that they could not attend and asked that it be continued to the April 18 meeting at 6:30 p.m., which trustees did, Pinney said.
During the previous hearing, Pinney said the township Zoning Commission and Summit County Planning Commission had recommended trustees deny the rezoning request. Petros had said he and Brennan have struggled to find a viable use for the property since they bought it in 1996. After an attempt to use the property as a nursery found little success, the owners made a similar rezoning request in 1998. The trustees turned down that request, which led to a court battle.
At the previous hearing, Petros said the site could be used for a drugstore.
Trustees also conducted a meeting following the hearing, with no new business brought up and no significant action taken, Pinney said.
Trustees will next meet April 4 at 10 a.m. in Town Hall, 4410 W. Streetsboro Road. The April 18 meeting will also take place there.
— By Kathleen Folkerth
More Community News
- Dam removal leads to changes in river
- Menorah lights aglow
- County Council examines BOE, sheriff budgets
- Akron Council swears in two members early
- Local jumpers jazz up Macy’s Parade
- West Side News & Notes
- Giant Eagle requesting permit to expand beer, wine department
- Norton approves funds for building projects
- Bath trustees OK purchase of land near Bath Center site
- Boston trustees approve police contract with Peninsula
- Granger Fire purchasing equipment for EMS reports
- Sharon trustees continue to debate donations to SPCA
- Corbin Foundation awards grants
- Fall tax tips from IRS
Calendar of Events
- University of Akron Symphony Orchestra - 12/5/2013
- Messy Playdate! - 12/5/2013
- “Employees’ Entrance” - 12/5/2013
- Akron Pops Orchestra - 12/5/2013
- Papercuts: A Poetic Interplay of Light and Shadow - 12/6/2013