Granger Fire Department hosting events
Two upcoming community events were among the topics Fire Chief Jim Paulett brought to the table at the Granger Township Board of Trustees meeting March 25.
Paulett said an Easter party is scheduled for March 30 at 1 p.m. at the Fire Department, 3737 Ridge Road. Among the attractions at the party will be a helicopter landing, an opportunity for children to see the Easter Bunny and a chance for residents to walk through the fire station, he explained.
Paulett also discussed a pancake breakfast the fire department will hold April 7 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. He said the pancakes will be cooked by the firefighters in the department. The breakfast will cost $5 for children and seniors and $7 for adults, he said.
In other Fire Department news, Paulett announced the training class scheduled for today, March 28, will be led by Dr. James Kendel Jr. from Medina Family Chiropractic. He explained back injuries are common for firefighters and EMS personnel and said he hopes to minimize injuries to members of his department through the proper lifting techniques and exercises that will be taught at this class.
Paulett announced five members of the department — Lt. Bob Smith, Lt. Ted Foley, Carol Redford, Brandon Quinn and John Rocco — are enrolled in Fire Officer 1 training at Cuyahoga Community College. He reported all five are doing well in their training. Paulett also announced that two students in fire instructor class will finish the class this week.
Paulett reminded the trustees the department will send out letters to residents with long driveways during the first part of April. He had previously explained firefighters need to be prepared to use a longer hose for fires at residences with driveways longer than 900 feet, and he planned to send out letters requesting permission from residents to have their driveways marked and for their property to be inspected by the Fire Department.
In other business:
- Service Director Mark Novak discussed plans to berm township roads as weather permits. He and the trustees will meet April 1 at 3 p.m. to survey roads for the berming.
Novak addressed a culvert on Melody Lane he plans to have replaced this spring and ditches on Remsen and Beach roads he plans to have straightened.
Novak also announced he and Paulett hosed out a culvert on Stony Hill Road.
- Fiscal Officer Barbara Beach discussed a letter she received from the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) about an upcoming open house at ODOT’s District 3 headquarters in Ashland.
Beach also said rain gauges installed at the township’s service garage are being used as readings for storm management as part of the State of Ohio Rain/Snow Monitoring System. She said trustees signed a memorandum with the Ohio Department of Public Safety and the Ohio Emergency Management Agency to continue the service.
- Zoning Inspector Annie George discussed a variance request by a local resident for a detached garage less than 15 feet from the front of his State Road house. She said the request will be heard at a zoning meeting April 30.
- Trustee John Ginley addressed a request from resident Gary Wright, who wants to have covers put over the bleachers at the baseball field at Granger Township Park and also requested a new in-field mix. Trustees approved a motion to spend up to $500 on 6 yards of in-field mix.
The next Granger trustees’ meeting is scheduled for April 8 at 7 p.m. at the Granger Township Administration Building, 3717 Ridge Road.
More Community News
- Copley Town Hall hosting general store exhibit
- Nondiscrimination ordinance considered
- County engineer floating proposed storm water utility
- Keith reflects on year as Council president
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Political News & Notes
- AARP cancels Tax-Aide program at Norton, Portage Lakes libraries
- Fairlawn Council passes ‘very conservative’ budget for 2017
- Trustees appoint committee to explore economic development
- Bath trustees waive zoning permit fees for observatory
- Clerk grateful for Easter collection support
- Changes coming to Sharon Township Cemetery
- Copley-Fairlawn Kiwanis helping burn victim
Calendar of Events
- Homeschoolers: Stinky Stuff: ages 11-14 - 3/24/2017
- Steve Tyrell - 3/24/2017
- The Outside Track - 3/24/2017
- Tales for Tots: ages 3-6 - 3/24/2017
- Pre-K Play Kindergarten Readiness: ages 4-6 - 3/24/2017