JCC hosting remembrance
The free Yom HaShoah commemoration will include a memorial service, candle-lighting and conversation with Leo Silberman. This event is free and open to the public.
Silberman was 14 when Germans invaded his hometown of Rymanow, Poland, in 1939. After two years of occupation and forced labor, the Jews were separated. This was the last time Silberman saw his parents, two brothers, two sisters and many extended family members.
He survived several slave labor camps and concentration camps. After liberation, he was sent to a displaced persons camp, where he met his future wife, Paula. In 1949, he sailed to American and settled in Council Bluffs, Iowa, before moving to Cleveland in 1951, where Paula had settled with her family.
Silberman is involved in many Jewish organizations and serves as president of Kol Israel Foundation, the Holocaust survivors’ organization in Cleveland.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Akron seeking help with ‘sensitive’ incidents
- King CLC opens to public
- Fire in Richfield destroys building, equipment
- Breaking Addiction Act gets partial support from Council
- APS focusing on digital needs, offerings
- Norton OKs fire truck purchase
- County ordinance may pave way for Copley flood relief
- Richfield trustees discuss recovery from recent fire
- Richfield Village assisting township with aid after fire
- Community input requested on land conservancy proposal
- Search for missing woman continues in CVNP
- West Side News & Notes
- Sheriff’s Office talks policing contract, sales tax with Coventry
- Community ‘quilt’ sculpture unveiled at art-A-palooza
- Green Council denies zoning for apartment complex
- New Franklin Council OKs lawsuit settlement
- County Council gives partial support to Breaking Addiction Act
- Spring Hill gets new playground
- ACF, city join to award grants for local neighborhoods
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- “The Boiling Point” - 9/2/2014
- Akron Symphony Chorus - 9/2/2014
- Wilco with special guest Bahamas - 9/4/2014
- Full Moon Labyrinth Walk Workshop: The Harvest Moon: “Sing, Dance and Celebrate” - 9/7/2014
- Open House - 9/7/2014