JCC hosting remembrance
The free Yom HaShoah commemoration will include a memorial service, candle-lighting and conversation with Leo Silberman. This event is free and open to the public.
Silberman was 14 when Germans invaded his hometown of Rymanow, Poland, in 1939. After two years of occupation and forced labor, the Jews were separated. This was the last time Silberman saw his parents, two brothers, two sisters and many extended family members.
He survived several slave labor camps and concentration camps. After liberation, he was sent to a displaced persons camp, where he met his future wife, Paula. In 1949, he sailed to American and settled in Council Bluffs, Iowa, before moving to Cleveland in 1951, where Paula had settled with her family.
Silberman is involved in many Jewish organizations and serves as president of Kol Israel Foundation, the Holocaust survivors’ organization in Cleveland.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Health district moving to West Akron
- Runners get in Halloween spirit
- Granger voters to see road, fire levies on ballot
- Fire levy on ballot in Sharon
- West Akron man volunteering in Ghana
- Falls implementing civil dispute program
- Boston to receive funds from NPS
- Richfield mayor discusses village’s investments
- Granger trustees continue to review conservation easement
- Stow Court modernizing, shares info with Richfield Chamber
- OFSC presents funds to burn unit
- West Side News & Notes
- Lakemore asking voters to renew fire levy
- Acme celebrates opening
- Coventry trustees asking voters to support Issue 53
- Residents oppose proposed gas line through Green
- Springfield helping with Canton Road corridor work
- Health district readies for new home
- Green Fire named STEMI Award winner
- Green employee receives Patriot Award
- Students share green thumb efforts
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Civil War Talk: General Sheridan - 10/20/2014
- Akron History Hike: Old Stone School - 10/20/2014
- Amazing World of Bats - 10/21/2014
- A New Beginning - 10/22/2014
- Bastille - 10/22/2014