JCC hosting remembrance
The free Yom HaShoah commemoration will include a memorial service, candle-lighting and conversation with Leo Silberman. This event is free and open to the public.
Silberman was 14 when Germans invaded his hometown of Rymanow, Poland, in 1939. After two years of occupation and forced labor, the Jews were separated. This was the last time Silberman saw his parents, two brothers, two sisters and many extended family members.
He survived several slave labor camps and concentration camps. After liberation, he was sent to a displaced persons camp, where he met his future wife, Paula. In 1949, he sailed to American and settled in Council Bluffs, Iowa, before moving to Cleveland in 1951, where Paula had settled with her family.
Silberman is involved in many Jewish organizations and serves as president of Kol Israel Foundation, the Holocaust survivors’ organization in Cleveland.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- State Route 18 projects to begin in summer
- Copley’s Winterfest puts fun on ice
- APS exploring funds for waiting building projects
- Richfield Council delays water tower vote
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council committee chairs questioned
- Akron City Council evaluates capital budget
- Fairlawn mayor calls city’s financial condition ‘sound’
- Norton looking to sink sewer costs
- Falls Council reappoints member to library board
- Bath trustees approve sale of fire department vehicle
- Peninsula Council on third try makes quorum for meeting
- Copley exploring contract with single trash hauler
- Richfield trustees approve fire/EMS contract
- Granger trustees hear presentation on fire prevention
- County Council opposing pipeline
- Cub Scouts get creative for Chariot Races
- Coventry goes with reduced ballot issue
- Norton gives final State of the City address
- Council considers Tudor House addition
- Springfield trustees approve application for Spartan Trail
- Local blood drives
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Akron Baroque: Super Bowl Baroque! - 2/1/2015
- Backyard Bird Feeding - 2/1/2015
- Melissa Harris-Perry - 2/2/2015
- Make a Pop-Up Book: grades 3-6 - 2/2/2015
- Fondues and Essential Oils - 2/3/2015