JCC hosting remembrance
The free Yom HaShoah commemoration will include a memorial service, candle-lighting and conversation with Leo Silberman. This event is free and open to the public.
Silberman was 14 when Germans invaded his hometown of Rymanow, Poland, in 1939. After two years of occupation and forced labor, the Jews were separated. This was the last time Silberman saw his parents, two brothers, two sisters and many extended family members.
He survived several slave labor camps and concentration camps. After liberation, he was sent to a displaced persons camp, where he met his future wife, Paula. In 1949, he sailed to American and settled in Council Bluffs, Iowa, before moving to Cleveland in 1951, where Paula had settled with her family.
Silberman is involved in many Jewish organizations and serves as president of Kol Israel Foundation, the Holocaust survivors’ organization in Cleveland.
Stephanie Kist contributed to this report.
More Community News
- Akron to raise rental registration fee
- Jolly fun had at Christmas Jingle
- Residents seek to form watershed conservancy
- Grant puts road widening closer to reality
- Local Boy Scouts go on summer ‘high adventure trek’
- West Side News & Notes
- Millennium Fund awards grants
- Blood donation opportunities
- Tucker named new Akron fire chief
- CSO project underway this week
- Campaign provides light for end-of-life patients, remembers those who have died
- Free fire alarms, installation available from Red Cross
- County Council looking at cost of medicine at jail
- Burton D. Morgan Foundation grants awarded
- Fairlawn Holiday Lighting Contest to be judged Dec. 13
- Bath trustees considering proposal for observatory
- Richfield looking to bring back winter festival
- Richfield Village receives covenant not to sue under Ohio EPA Voluntary Action Program
- Granger trustees discuss cemetery, zoning fees
- Scout siblings earn awards
Calendar of Events
- Akron Symphony: Home for the Holidays - 12/9/2016
- Nuance - 12/9/2016
- University of Akron Graduate String Quartet - 12/9/2016
- “America’s Got Talent” - 12/10/2016
- Dynamics Community Theater’s “Miracle on 34th Street” - 12/10/2016