City Council welcomes Fudge to West Akron
Plus, Council supports upcoming Neighbors Day Akron
|Photo courtesy of U. S. Rep. Marcia Fudge|
Due to redistricting, Fudge now represents part of Akron, along with numerous communities in Summit and Cuyahoga counties, including Cleveland.
Councilman Mike Williams (D-at large), one of the sponsors of the resolution, said it is notable that this office is located in Akron, because Akron sometimes can “take a second seat to our neighbor to our north.”
This is the first time, according to Williams, that a congressional district has included both Cleveland and Akron.
The resolution praises Fudge as “a champion of minorities, the disabled, seniors and low income Americans who need a strong voice in Congress, earning her a reputation as a staunch defender of social safety net programs; advancing access to affordable, quality education and health care for all citizens and strengthening Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security.”
“She has really shown that she is committed to this area,” added Councilwoman Linda Omobien (D-at large), who also co-sponsored the resolution, along with Council members who represent wards included in District 11.
Also at the meeting, Council approved a resolution in support of the Seventh Annual Neighbors Day Akron, which will take place May 25.
Neighbors Day, implemented by Mayor Don Plusquellic after he learned of the concept while traveling in Europe, is designed to help citizens get to know their neighbors better through small gatherings, such as picnics or ice cream socials. There were 38 such events last year, and city officials hope for 50 this year, including large events that are being planned at the 11 community centers in the city and Woodland United Methodist Church, located at 444 N. Hawkins Ave. in West Akron.
“We can bring our community closer together; we can get to know each other,” said Councilman Jeff Fusco (D-at large), who sponsored the resolution. “This is an important part of promoting Akron as well as unity in our neighborhoods.”
In other legislative action, Council approved, following a public hearing, a conditional use for the establishment of a compressed natural gas filling station and truck terminal at the intersection of South Arlington Street and Palmetto Avenue.
Fusco, chairman of the Planning Committee, said the use of compressed natural gas is an emerging technology that is being developed by an Akron company.
The next Akron City Council meeting will take place April 15 at 7 p.m. in City Council Chambers on the third floor of the Akron Municipal Building, 166 S. High St. Committee meetings are set to begin at 2 p.m. that afternoon, also in Council Chambers.
More Community News
- Local issues filed for November ballot
- Community Day brightens up weekend in Richfield
- Council entering battle against fuel pump fraud
- School preparation focus of Summit for Kids
- Teen completes Akron-to-Miami cycling adventure
- West Side News & Notes
- Suspect arrested for CVNP shooting
- Junior League of Akron names award recipients
- Trustees discuss zoning issues
- Richfield Council OKs selling surplus items
- Fairlawn enacts moratorium on medical marijuana businesses
- Trustees OK contracts for windows, doors
- Trustees address fiscal matters
- Granger trustees hear about daytime burglaries
- Granger residents report break-ins
- State Route 94/Granger Road closure delayed
- Volunteer Guardian Program seeking volunteers
- Green to share political insights at Akron Woman’s City Club
- Local issues filed for November ballot
- PLCC burn building training center dedicated
- Coventry board addresses open enrollment issues
- Coventry residents rally for Kew Drive demolition
- Manchester bond issue result due Aug. 19
- South Side News & Notes
- Summit County Council entering battle against fuel pump fraud
- Five arrested for historic schoolhouse fire, vandalism at parksmaria
Calendar of Events
- A New Adventure: group for widows and widowers - 8/24/2016
- Meet Me in the Garden - 8/24/2016
- Lock Bottom Blues and Jazz Club: Ernie Krivda All Star Quartet - 8/24/2016
- Tots and Treats - 8/24/2016
- A New Beginning: group for widows and widowers - 8/24/2016