GAR Foundation awards grants to nonprofits
AKRON — At its first quarterly meeting of 2013, the GAR Foundation awarded $1,598,000 in grants to 15 area nonprofit organizations, with the Fund for Our Economic Future among the front runners with a grant of $1 million over three years.
“We have a strong belief that philanthropy can play an important role in sustaining a globally competitive Northeast Ohio,” GAR Foundation President Christine Amer Mayer commented on the grant to the fund. “By uniting with fellow charitable organizations, we can continue to address our region’s economic competitiveness priorities.”
The Fund for Our Economic Future, entering its 10th year, is a collaboration of 53 philanthropic organizations across 16 counties with the mission to “encourage and advance a regional competitiveness agenda leading to long-term economic revitalization that strengthens our region’s core cities.” GAR is supporting the fund’s overall goal of raising $15.3 million to support its work over the next three-year phase. GAR’s commitment will total $1 million, with disbursements of $333,333 being made in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
GAR also awarded a number of other grants to area nonprofits. Among those is the Akron Museum of Art with a grant of $135,000. The long-time grantee shares a history with the foundation that dates back to the 1960s.
East Akron Neighborhood Development Corp. received $20,000 for its Emergency Home Repair Program, which provides emergency repairs that protect the integrity of a home or help homeowners satisfy health department orders.
Christ Child Society of Akron also received $15,000 to purchase school uniforms and new clothes for its Clothing Center. The all-volunteer organization distributes the clothes to Akron-area school children in need.
The following organizations also received grant awards at the Feb. 14 GAR Foundation Distribution Committee meeting:
- Akron Community Health Resources Inc., $60,000 for operations;
- College Now Greater Cleveland, $20,000 to provide college access services to students at the Buchtel Community Learning Center;
- Community Legal Aid Services Inc., $10,000 for legal support for the Families With Children program;
- Hiram College, $20,000 for Summit County student scholarships;
- International Institute of Akron Inc., $25,000 for a resource case manager;
- International Soap Box Derby, $20,000 for operating support;
- Boys Hope Girls Hope of Northeastern Ohio, $25,000 for Summit County Hope Prep scholars;
- Kent State University Foundation, $50,000 for the Last Opportunity Scholarship Fund;
- Northeast Ohio Council on Higher Education, $25,000 for the Development of 50 internships in Summit County;
- WKSU 89.7 FM, $20,000 for WKSU’s Spring 2013 Fund Drive (this award consists in part or entirely in the form of a challenge grant); and
- United Way of Portage County Inc., $25,000 for the 2013-14 campaign (this award consists in part or entirely in the form of a challenge grant).
More Community News
- State Route 18 projects to begin in summer
- Copley’s Winterfest puts fun on ice
- APS exploring funds for waiting building projects
- Richfield Council delays water tower vote
- West Side News & Notes
- County Council committee chairs questioned
- Akron City Council evaluates capital budget
- Fairlawn mayor calls city’s financial condition ‘sound’
- Norton looking to sink sewer costs
- Falls Council reappoints member to library board
- Bath trustees approve sale of fire department vehicle
- Peninsula Council on third try makes quorum for meeting
- Copley exploring contract with single trash hauler
- Richfield trustees approve fire/EMS contract
- Granger trustees hear presentation on fire prevention
- County Council opposing pipeline
- Cub Scouts get creative for Chariot Races
- Coventry goes with reduced ballot issue
- Norton gives final State of the City address
- Council considers Tudor House addition
- Springfield trustees approve application for Spartan Trail
- Local blood drives
- South Side News & Notes
Calendar of Events
- Artsmash - 1/30/2015
- Drop-In Exercise - 1/30/2015
- Animal Tales - 1/30/2015
- Voices in the Valley: David Mayfield Bluegrass Parade - 1/30/2015
- A New Beginning - 1/31/2015