Akron water main break repairs under way
|Workers continued to repair a water main break on North Street in West Akron on April 15 as shown above and below right.|
|Photos: Dale Dong|
“It was leaking for about 75 minutes, which probably let 4 to 6 million gallons of water out that cascaded down North Street to Valley and then turned down Valley and started heading into the backyard of people’s homes,” Moore said.
The foundation of one vacant home on Gold Street was knocked out by the water and the city has condemned it, Moore said.
In addition, three families had to leave their homes because of water entering the basements. According to the American Red Cross of Summit and Portage Counties, the agency opened a shelter in its West Akron headquarters to house a total of 10 people. One of the families was able to return to their home the following afternoon, and the other two returned home the evening of April 12, officials said.
As a result of the water main break, all Akron water customers, including those in Copley and Fairlawn, were under a boil alert from the time of the break until late April 13. Residents were told that water was safe for bathing but not for consumption. The alert was lifted after testing showed the water was safe to use.
Moore said the work to repair the water main is ongoing and should be completed early next week. He added that the cause of the break is under investigation. The pipe was about 40 years old but was expected to last 75 years or more, Moore said.
Water service to Akron customers is continuing normally, he added.
|The new pipes, shown above, were to be installed to repair the water main break this week.|
More Community News
- Dickinson reclaiming County Council seat
- CVNP celebrates NPS centennial
- Bath road levy renewal on ballot
- Mentors help connect students to colleges, careers
- Minority business group marks first year
- West Side News & Notes
- West Side Political News & Notes
- Council, administration clash over Nash Heights pump station
- Copley trustees prep township for winter
- Richfield Council, officials bid farewell to service director
- Richfield trustees declare property a nuisance
- Trump addresses large crowd in Akron
Calendar of Events
- Introduction to Spanish - 8/26/2016
- Ballroom Nights - 8/26/2016
- Zoso (Led Zeppelin tribute)with the Joe Vitale Jr. Band - 8/26/2016
- Kinderealm: Bees: for ages 3-6 - 8/27/2016
- Yoga - 8/27/2016