Dominican Sisters of Peace celebrate Diamond Jubilee
WEST AKRON — A group of Dominican Sisters of Peace celebrated their 65th anniversary and Diamond Jubilee at Our Lady of the Elms Convent Chapel April 14, with the Rev. Thomas McCann presiding.
According to Dominican Sisters of Peace officials, the group recognized at the event included:
- Sister Rosemarie Robinson, OP, 65th Jubilarian: Robinson entered the Sisters of St. Dominic of Akron from St. Dominic Parish in Youngstown in 1946. She taught at St. Bernard, St. Paul and Our Lady of the Elms elementary schools, all in Akron; St. Felicitas in Cleveland; and St. Augustine in Barberton. Later, she became principal at St. Augustine and then at Sts. Peter and Paul School in Doylestown. She has served in the capacity of executive councilor, elected president to two four-year terms and was business manager of Our Lady of the Elms schools. From 1983 to 1989, she served as co-delegate for religious and from 1989 to 1991 as delegate for religious for the Diocese of Cleveland. She currently continues to be of community service.
- Sister M. Francine Stalter, OP, 65th Jubilarian: Stalter entered the convent from St. Matthew Parish in Akron in 1946. She taught at St. Dominic in Youngstown; St. Paul, St. Vincent and Our Lady of the Elms Preschool, all in Akron; St. Joseph in Alliance; and St. Mary in Wooster. She worked as medical librarian at St. Thomas Hospital in Akron and was a librarian at Cleveland Central Catholic High School and at Our Lady of the Elms Community Library. She now resides at the Elms Wellness Center.
- Sister Bernadine Baltrinic, OP, 60th Jubilarian: Baltrinic, the former Sister Jude, entered the Sisters of St. Dominic of Akron from St. Francis de Sales Parish in Akron in 1951. She taught at Immaculate Conception School in Ravenna; St. Agatha School in Cleveland; and St. Joseph School in Mantua. As a member of the El Salvador Cleveland Diocesan Mission Team, she served for nine years and then returned to the United States and served the Hispanic community for four years at St. Michael Church in Cleveland. For her religious congregation, she served as vocation director, executive councilor for eight years and Motherhouse coordinator for five of those years, and was elected to two four-year terms as president. She has been active in social justice issues. She received the Bishop Anthony Pilla Leadership Award at the Bishop William Cosgrove Dinner and continues to give service at the Elms Motherhouse.
- Sister M. Beatrice Fitzgerald, OP, 60th Jubilarian: Fitzgerald entered the Dominican Sisters from St. Mary in Wooster in 1951. She began teaching in 1953 at Our Lady of the Elms Preschool and has also taught at St. Paul and St. Bernard, all in Akron; St. Augustine in Barberton; and St. Dominic in Youngstown. Since 1987, she has been employed at the Village of St. Edward in Fairlawn in spiritual care ministry. She also has a special ministry in visiting hospitals, nursing homes, hospice care and the sick and elderly in private homes.
- Sister Patricia Marie Sigler, OP, 60th Jubilarian: Sigler, formerly known as Sister Assumpta, entered religious life from St. Mary in Wooster in 1951. She taught at St. Matthew and St. Paul schools, all in Akron; St. Hilary in Fairlawn; St. Felicitas in Cleveland; St. Dominic in Youngstown; and Sts. Peter and Paul in Doylestown. For 10 years, she served as treasurer of the Elms Motherhouse and Our Lady of the Elms schools, and part of that time she was personnel director of the Elms lay employees. In 1991, she became coordinator of the Crown Point Ecology Center and remains on its Advisory Board. In 1997, she was elected to the executive council to a four-year term and re-elected in 2001. In 2000, she became motherhouse and plant administrator and was a member of the Elms School Board, Finance Commission, Chapel Renovation Committee and Justice and Peace Commission. She also was a member of the Good Samaritan Hunger Center Board. In 1992, in collaboration with the Women’s History Project, the Sisters of St. Dominican named her as congregational “Woman of the Year.”
More Community News
- Dam removal leads to changes in river
- Menorah lights aglow
- County Council examines BOE, sheriff budgets
- Akron Council swears in two members early
- Local jumpers jazz up Macy’s Parade
- West Side News & Notes
- Giant Eagle requesting permit to expand beer, wine department
- Norton approves funds for building projects
- Bath trustees OK purchase of land near Bath Center site
- Boston trustees approve police contract with Peninsula
- Granger Fire purchasing equipment for EMS reports
- Sharon trustees continue to debate donations to SPCA
- Corbin Foundation awards grants
- Fall tax tips from IRS
- Planned Canton Road upgrades presented
- Green greets season
- Killian looks back on long service to township
- County Council examines BOE, sheriff budgets
- South Side News & Notes
- PUCO, Dominion continuing investigation of pipeline incident
Calendar of Events
- Caring Santa - 12/8/2013
- Santa Photos - 12/8/2013
- Scintas - 12/8/2013
- Holiday Arts and Crafts Show - 12/8/2013
- Medina United Methodist Church Adult Handbell Choir - 12/9/2013